• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Member (1 Viewer)

sarahg

Hi everyone,
My name is Sarah, im 17 and live South Yorkshire, UK.
My grandad introduced me to birdwatching about 5 years ago. We usually go to our local RSPB reserve - Old Moor, Barnsley at the old Manvers site. There are always huge flocks of birds.
The best ever experience so far for me has been at Old Moor two weeks ago when i saw not one but two Kingfishers. They were so still we got a few photographs of them.
Recently we have been playing about with Digiscoping and its great fun. The photos are getting better each time, so with a bit more practice they will be great.
Im also a member of the RSPB Wildlife Explorers and Pheonix, cos of my age.

It would be great to hear anyones fantasic experiences of birdwatching/ornithology.

Best wishes,
Sarah

Hi Sarah,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Admin and Moderators.

Great to hear about your birding experiences. Perhaps you would like to post some of your photos in the gallery?

This is a friendly place to exchange birding experiences. Enjoy yourself.

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to BirdForum.

I've had 2 bad experiences at Old Moor: the first was in 2001 when the exhaust fell off my knackered up old Fiat in the car park; the second was last year when I went to see the American Golden Plover that was there in September - not only did I not see it, but my friend then trapped his finger in the car door and we had to go back to Manchester! I think the Plover turned up again about 15 minutes after we left.

So it would be great to hear some positive stories from Old Moor to lure me back!!!

Cheers, Tom.

Hi sarahg,,

Welcome to Birdforum. You have came to the right place for your love of birdwatching, advice on digiscoping and to find out other peoples birding moments.

You will have to put some of your digiscoped shots in the gallery or put a bit in the digiscoping forum and they can tell you what you are doing right and any other tips to improve your shots.

It would be great as well to see your Kingfisher in the gallery, I think it is one of the most popular Birds on BF.

Hi Sarah and welcome to birdforum. It would be ice to see some of your photo's appearing in the gallery and to hear more of your trips to Old Moor. John.

Hi Sarah,

It is always great to hear of a young person who is into birding! Birding is such a fascinating pasttime and the earlier you become involved the more skilled you become and the enjoyment just seems to increase with time.

Welcome to BirdForum and Good Birding!

Well thank you for everyone's replies. It seems such a friendly place looking around and reading the messages. I'll try and put some of my photos on, although some are a bit blurded. Im sure i will get better photos as i become more experienced. I'll check out the digiscoping forum too, Marmot.
Tom its a shame you havent have possitive visits at Old Moor. If u haven't been recently they have an improved visiter centre, with a cafe, a childrens play park and good disabled access now. Its a good play to see Canada geese, Moorhens, Coots and Herrons.
Im going on a 5 mile trail sometime next week which goes behind old moor to Broomhill (i think). It seems to be a good place for birds from the review in a bird watching magazine. So that will be something to look forward to before i go back to sixthform.

If anyone wishes to send a private message feel free.

Sarah

Hi Sarah

I'm a relative newcomer to BF too, it's a really friendly site and everyone is very helpful (even when I've asked daft questions).

I'm in North Derbyshire, so not too far from you, Old Moor has been on my list of places to go for some time; from what you say I think I need to make the effort and get up there. You never know, I might see you there sometime!

Hi sarahg,

(Are you by any chance related to janeg and peteg?)

Great to have another "local" on the site, and I'm please you have such a good time at Old Moor.

I don't go there as often as I should, but I was there a week ago and got superb views of Kingfishers, as well as the Litle Egret... you seen it yet?

Benjismum...

Old Moor ain't too far from you, and as Sarah says, the RSPB have come in an upgraded the facilities... catch it at the right time and it can be spectacular.

:t:

hi Birdman yes peteg is my grandad and janeg my sister who is 10.

I've just got back from the walk i mentioned and we saw and eygptian goose, i dont think i've seen one before. We didn't go all the way but it was great where we went. We walked back to Old Moor too and saw a kingfisher again. We got some good photographs too.

If any of you haven't yet been to Old Moor i would highly recomend it. You see a lot of waders. Its good for children and disabled people too or people with little mobility. Theres are ponds for pond dipping too if ur into that.

Sarah

I'm getting conused with all these different g members!! digi-birder will be organising a mass BF member twitch at Old Moor

Anyway welcome to the forum Sarah

Hi Sarah, and welcome to BirdForum. Hope you enjoy your time with us.
bert.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back