• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (5 Viewers)

Thoughts of Spring

The ravens have eggs and a meadow pipit sings a little refrain. Even though the forecast is for gales and hail, the inevitable cycle continues.
A few quick scribbles in the sketchbook and a wheatear seems to be the right piece to approach now. A couple of hours of progress . . .

Attachments

• new1.jpg
    new1.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 87
  • new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 83
  • new3.jpg
    new3.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 83
  • new4.jpg
    new4.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 77
  • new5.jpg
    new5.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 105
Ooh! Now I like the look of that!

Especially good to see how you develop a piece.....Pass the canvas quick!

Mike

Last edited:
Kaboinggggg!!!! That was me falling off my 'puter chair...must agree with Nick - warnings of such excellence should be mandatory!!

Tim, I love it when you do this for us. I am beginning to understand how color works on your pieces---yes, it has taken me this long.
More more more!!!!

. . .

Thanks for the comments! (although I'm sure there must be a trick of the light going on somewhere) - anyhow, worked on the painting for another couple tonight (weekend was a no-no, Mother's Day meals and shopping trips, etc) - I'm not entirely sure whether I should leave as is or work a bit of detail into it (it's by no means finished yet anyway). I had rather hoped it to resemble this thing from last year, http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/154510/ppuser/37672
but it doesn't. Ah well - I'll leave it for now and see if the painting elves come along while I'm asleep and make it good.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 67
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Really awesome, Tim. I get a completely different feel for this one compared to the one you mentioned from last year. What do you see in the other one that might be lacking in this one?
What are you aiming for!?!?!?! ;)

I'm really loving this, though if I may add my tuppence, be careful not to layer too much white and blue onto those rocks, I could see a lovely warm tone leading through the whole picture that picked the wheatear up beautifully. The thing that I liked about the ringed plovers (and to me they are one of your absolute best) is the conviction in it, each brush stroke seems to be put in automatically as though the brush was working autonomously from too much worry. You'll get this one done, and it'll be up there with the top. Can't wait to see what you do just to bring it all together.

Tim this is looking real nice and I think is going to be a corker.
As far as what to suggest I really am not sure my first instinct
would have been to really play up the Lichens on the wall
in the forground developing the way your eye is led to
the wheatear and around the composition .I agree
with Nick about keeping that warmth in the piece.

I always find it difficult to comment on other peoples work
as they obviously see things differently and have different styles
neither of which is right or wrong. What works for you may not work
for me ...!! ? er... Vague enough for you? I will shut up now
I suppose its about having faith in your ability to come near to
what you saw and felt when viewing the bird or the place.

Keep going with it it will come right . If not don't push it turn it around
start something else and then look at it with fresh eyes.

Wheatear

Cheers folks - I've worked on this some more, introduced much warmer tones into the grass and added bits of 'detail' (though it's not really) in the foreground.
Not a wonderful result, but an interesting process. Thanks for the input and suggestions - much appreciated.

Attachments

• wheat.jpg
    wheat.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 130
You've definitely warmed it up, Tim. It looks good. I was thinking the same thing Nick was, but wasn't sure how to put it (my head has been a bit clogged lately). --of course I can say this as hindsight!
I am REALLY curious to know what you would change about this piece, or what you think isn't effective. You better start answering my questions, mister, otherwise I might just, I don't know, leave this thread for another couple of weeks!!!!!

haha

beth

Well I still like this loads Tim. The whole thing of putting wheatears with rocks not only describes their habitat nicely, it also pitches the delicacy of the bird against the solidity of the stone, flight versus earthbound. I love the way the bird is placed to follow the edge line of the wall too, it cleverly puts it firmly into context. Like Beth, I would be interested to know what it is about the result that you're not 100% happy with.

Mike

Give the guy a break ,:-O Sometimes you just have to sit back and say
well its not how I wanted it to finally look like but its a good
piece anyhow. This often happens to me with my pieces . its the old
Artist not being satisfied thing . It will never go away and I hope
it never does else there really would be something wrong!!
All part of the journey with no ending

Its a beautiful piece Tim and as woody said say's everything about
Wheatears and where yuo find them. I love the way you have mirrored
the tones in the bird into the rocks it ties the whole thing together beautifuly.

There is a beautiful Liquid feel to your work tim and I don't mean
that in a water colour sence if you understand me. Its the same feeling I get
from hearing a robins song or a babling brook . Probably not making any
sence to any of you but I know what I mean!!:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back