• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (11 Viewers)

I suppose a mixed day, really - Man U get knocked out of FA cup - BUT the Mighty Barnsley dispatch Chelsea and stride majestically into the Semis - England lose at rugger - but, as I'm Scottish dweller and also Scotland fan, manage to win anyway! (confusing, eh?)
Weather was nice out, but spent half the day in the pub and/or conservatory sports watching - BUT also had a crack at the aforementioned watercolour from the drawings made yesterday. It's ok - I suppose - bits I quite like . . . (watercolour 22"x15")
Cheltenham looming - probably last chance for an anti-post bet: Back Edward O'Grady's novice int the "Arkle" - it's name escapes me but it won't lose.

Fantastic set of sketches Tim and a masterly executed watercolour!

Paschalis

Lovely scribbling, catching the birds in absolutely natural poses and attitudes. Nice to be able to see them from the house too!

Mike

red throats

Popped out via dumpit site (sorry - recycling centre) and, following in-depth analysis of weekend's footie with fellow BFer Paul Higson, headed straight to barriers for a great Northern diver. Wasn't one - well there was, but it was too distant and I was freezing cold so returned home. En-route however, my attention was attracted by this little beauty, fishing alongside 4th Barrier. Sat in car and did some drawings whilst listening to Ken Bruce's POPMASTER (my score may be legible on top of one sheet). Although fozen to the bone, the diver was so confiding that it actually allowed me to scrable down the blocks and continued preening and fishing. Great little bird - I feel a colour pic coming on . . .
. . . when I've thawed out!!!
(EDIT) Or not, as I've just had to fetch youngest child back from school. Poorly little girl - ah well.

Attachments

• div1.jpg
    div1.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 82
  • div2.jpg
    div2.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 85
  • div3.jpg
    div3.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 73
  • div4.jpg
    div4.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 78
  • div5.jpg
    div5.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Red-Throats/Sore Throats

Littlest child has a sore-one, but has been well-enoughed behaved to allow me a bit of studio-time. A quick dab of colour in the sketchbook with the intention of working up into something else later.

Attachments

• dvrsktch.jpg
    dvrsktch.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Yes, get well soon to the sproglet and hope nobody else comes down with it!

Great sketches Tim, full of life as ever. Look forward to seeing them worked up into full paintings.

Cheers,
Des.

divers

Splooshed about with some watercolours this pm. Changed the divers somewhat to use a couple of the other drawings. These, I think, help to accentuate the fresh breeze and clarity of light we had whilst I did the drawings. Closer to the event, now (except there was only one diver!).

Attachments

• divers.jpg
    divers.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 104
The Cheltenham Festival

Having spent virtually all night/morning out of bed with a poorly child, unable to get back to sleep, I find myself with an hour or two to check out the form for the day's racing.
Therefore, with apologies to all non-horsey, non-gamblers out there (of whom I'm sure there are many);
Today marks the start of horse-racing's premier festival - Cheltenham! And, following this correspondent's quite sensational tipping service from last year - including advice to place kid's inheritance and mortgage on Kauto Star in the Gold Cup (won!) - We'll have a glance at day one of the festival.

The Festival opens with the 2.00 and my selection should have more than a ring of coincidence about it. For here we have a super opportunity for an each-way punt on Binocular (!), available at 8-1. A sporting each-way chance also appears in the form of Deep Purple, available at 16-1 (let's hope it isn't a Black Night - har, har!)

Moving swiftly on (not forgetting to collect our easy winnings from our local friendly bookmaker) to the 2.35 - 'The Arkle'
Quite a strong favourite, but there's excellent value to be had in the form of an Irish Raider Clopf - an each-way steal at 9-1.

Then on to THE BIGGIE of the day - 3.15 - The Champion Hurdle.
It's only a couple of years ago that my own horse won at this course, (but in the JCB Triumph Hurdle!!!!) (Penzance won at 12-1 and I, along with, er, 17,000 other people, was his owner - being a member of the Elite Racing Club. Great day!).
This year's renewal, however, gives us a massive dilemma. Do we back the obvious winner, the Irish Raider Sizing Europe (at a miserly 9-4)? or go for a bit more value? The answer is straight forward, really (as money is merely an irrelevant annoyance to the way our household operates) so in we plunge with two selections against the field. Catchit - trained by Alan King (who also trained Penzance) and ridden by Robert 'Chocolate' Thornton (who also rode Penzance) will simply scoot up the Cheltenham Hill to win going-away. The 10-1 looks decent each-way value to my old eyes. The second selection is left-field, but at 25-1, Afsoun looks worthy of a second glance (each way).

It will take so long for the bookies to count out the winnings that I'll just have to by-pass the Cross-Country Chase (Heads on The Ground, from Edna's yard) and concentrate on the 5.20 - The Fred Winter.
Here is my oustanding punt of the day in the shape of Ashkazar. The price of 5-2 may be a bit on the short side, but with Timmy Murphy aboard (no-one rides Cheltenham like Timmy) and David Pipe carrying his father's mantle to such great effect recently, That's where my virtual money is heading.

So, having emptied the bookies' satchels on the First Day, off to the pub we stagger, not a care in the world . . . Except for Day Two. More later, if I'm not totally skint by then. B :)

The information and opinions contained in this message are those of Tim Wootton and, in the extremely likely event that he's talking bullshtt as usual, he nor his estate is financially capable of settling any litigation - so don't bother.:-O

Last edited:
The divers are superb. You've really portrayed the wind riffling the water and I love the little tuft of blown feathers on the head of the nearest bird, it adds so much character.

Mike

Cheltenham Festival

Tim,

Good luck with your selections. Cheltenham is my favourite sporting event of the year and I'll be watching avidly every day.

I'm more of a football bettor, but probably will have a few bets this week, so looking forward to reading your views. Have done Harchibald ante-post but not too confident.

Interested to read of your Champion Hurdle success. Have never owned horses but have owned racing greyhounds.

Barrie

Interested to read of your Champion Hurdle success. Have never owned horses but have owned racing greyhounds.

Barrie
The early hours had my brain a bit frazzled actually Barrie. It was only after returning to bed (at 5.50) that I realised I'd said Penzance won the Champion - of course he didn't, it was the JCB Triumph Hurdle he won - for novices. In fact he went for the Champion the next year, but fared poorly and was then sent chasing but didn't appear to like that game anything like as much. His most recent outings have been back over the smaller obstacles and he looks to have regained his enthusiasm for the game.
He's still a real horse, in my opinion - although I no longer 'own' him as I let my membership lapse.
I used to own a greyhound too (I'm sure we talked dogs in the gallery, didn't we?) - he was fast but couldn't negotiate corners too well. The times I've seen him 'join' the spectators on the first bend - aaarrrrggh!
Hardly surprising you're a fan of the Turf, being from the Emerald Isle and all!!!! Really good luck with Harchibald - he's a thoroughly class animal if not just a little quirky. If Paul Carberry sends him on a bit earlier than lasy time, he's sure to go close (even win it!?).
Remember to post your successes (no after-timing, though!).
See you across the Barriers.

Cheltenham

Okay Tim, here are my 4 for today:-

[2.00] Deep Purple (form looks very good, has beaten many of the fancied runners, though ground not ideal)

2.35 Clopf (unlucky last time out, too many negatives about the others and Noland too short)

3.00 Harchibald (now more confident - classiest horse in the race - his to lose)

4.00 Monkerhostin (an old favourite - drop in grade, last chance)

Good luck - particularly with the ones we both fancy!

Barrie

hi Tim

I love the picture of your Divers. Beautifully portrayed, and I love the movement of the wind through the waves. Water is not the easiest to do and there is a knack to doing it, and you have got it to a tee

The water is so real looking you feel although you would be able to touch it and get wet hands. :t:

You have a horsey fan here. Nothing as important as what you did with racing but I had the honor of riding 'Blossom' - Lucinda Prior Palmer/Greens former horse (Three Day Eventing). No dogs though. ;)
Just about completed my exams for being an riding instructor - just did not complete the final exam as too many other things got in the way. Not to say I would do it now, as I love the thought of teaching people now I am older.

Anyway this is your thread, so back to you once again. ;)

Best of luck with the runners today.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back