• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird deaths? (1 Viewer)

Cheshire Birder

I was watching the British Golf Open on TV and noticed loads of Swallows zipping over the fairways. I wondered if anyone has anyone ever killed a bird with a golf ball?

CB

Only ever played Golf once and I wont be playing again. I did however used to walk round with a couple of mates now and again whilst they were playing. One day one of them teed off and knocked a Magpie clean out of the sky. The bird plummeted to the ground but after a while it was up and flying about again.

Only ever played Golf once and I wont be playing again. I did however used to walk round with a couple of mates now and again whilst they were playing. One day one of them teed off and knocked a Magpie clean out of the sky. The bird plummeted to the ground but after a while it was up and flying about again.

Magpies/crows would be my first guesses for birds that have been hit (in Britain). Pretty good shot to get a moving bird as well.

CB

We had this jerk two years ago who did it intentionally.

He was filming an instructional video and a Red-shouldered Hawk was making too much noise. He reacted by hitting balls at it until one struck it in the head and killed it.

There was a public outcry and he eventually took a plea deal that cost him $2000, 40 hours of community service, and 4 hours in an anger management class. I don't believe that he is on the pro tour any longer.

Mike

Cricket seems to be more perilous for birds than golf - there is the famous House Sparrow who was "bowled out" in 1936 by Indian medium pacer Jahangir Khan, and subsequently stuffed and mounted - it is on display at the Lord's Museum. o:D

Pigeons also seem to be vulnerable, but then they were never known for their appreciation of spin and movement of the ball in the air:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/funny_old_game/2076631.stm

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back