• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (44 Viewers)

WTE heading west 14:25, inland from Titchwell between A149 and Choseley. Watched it until out of sight to the west. Flying very low, sometimes at hedge-top height. Brilliant late lunch!

Last edited:
I've gone quite a few times there as a patch thing and no juice yet so reckoned that be the best bet. Few dudes lookin QUOTE]

Oh heavens, I seem to have momentarily forgotten my birding parlance. When i referred to 'a few dudes' I actually meant 'cool dudes' not the derogative term used in the birding fraternity, it was really nice to enjoy the bird with just a little crowd and a few old faces. Hope no offence caused to the writer of the Glaven Valley Newsletter or anyone else present!

Last edited:
Oh heavens, I seem to have momentarily forgotten my birding parlance

Josh. Please reword into English. Some of us only went to Comps, Tech Colleges and Polytechnics!!!!

Regards. Mark.

Titchwell April 6th

Today’s highlights

White-tailed eagle – finally the mobile juvenile came back over the reserve @ 13:30 before heading inland
Red kite – 1 west @ 11:15
Waxwing – 1 west @ 11:45
Med gull – 1st winter on fresh marsh
Garganey – 2 pairs on fresh marsh
Wheatear – 2 on brackish marsh
Yellow wagtail – 6 on brackish marsh
White wagtail – 1 on brackish marsh
Red necked grebe – 1 offshore
Long-tailed duck – 12 offshore
Eider – 20 offshore

Paul

I've gone quite a few times there as a patch thing and no juice yet so reckoned that be the best bet. Few dudes lookin QUOTE]

Oh heavens, I seem to have momentarily forgotten my birding parlance. When i referred to 'a few dudes' I actually meant 'cool dudes' not the derogative term used in the birding fraternity, it was really nice to enjoy the bird with just a little crowd and a few old faces. Hope no offence caused to the writer of the Glaven Valley Newsletter or anyone else present!

Not sure I've ever been a cool dude. B :)

Black Stork

Two pager reports of the black stork:
Mon 4 April NW over Lake Lothing Lowetoft 11:30
Wed 6 April flew over near Sea Palling

Where is this bird now?

Thankfully I do not need black stork for Norfolk.
A bird spent six days in May 2002 near the Gt Ryburgh watchpoint.

Monday 27 May 2002. Two honey buzzards am, then the black stork flew over. Did not wait too long. Three honey buzzard display flights pm.

The late Enid Stanford dipped this bird five times.
One attempt for me and after less than an hour on site.
I did not see honey buzzard at all in 2010, by the way.

As "Black Kite" says black stork is a blocker on many lists.

Last edited:

I looked for it on the way to work and on the way home from work for the whole week, plus a couple of lunch breaks - which means I dipped it 12 times, and have still not seen one in Norfolk.

At least I only dipped the Eagle three times, but then again I don't need that for Norfolk. Nice of it to spend my lunch break within easy reach of my workplace today... the day I was working from home flippin' miles away. And nice of it to bog off to Lincolnshire - at least now I won't have to waste any more time chasing after it.

:-C

Two pager reports of the black stork:
Mon 4 April NW over Lake Lothing Lowetoft 11:30
Wed 6 April flew over near Sea Palling

Where is this bird now?

Thankfully I do not need black stork for Norfolk.

Monday 27 May 2002. Two honey buzzards am, then the black stork flew over. Did not wait too long. Three honey buzzard display flights pm.

I did not see honey buzzard at all in 2010, by the way.

As "Black Kite" says black stork is a blocker on many lists.

Message on rba website. Probable Black Stork WSW of Martham yesterday 9.30 am.only

Black stork.

Where is this bird now?

I suspect somewhere between Eccles and Yarmouth!!!!

If it had carried on up the coast after todays sighting would have thought it would have been picked up between Eccles and Cley, where it would have probably then gone inland. It was a warm day and could have been very high up - but then somebody took a good photo - so not that high!!

It will be found in Yorkshire in the morning no doubt!!!!!

Snettisham Coastal Park this evening

Plan B after the Eagle had nipped over the Wash! Arrived at just before 6.30pm - a glorious warm sunny evening with lots of bird action including 6 Swallows, several Willow Warblers, Chiffchaffs also singing in abundance, parties of Goldfinches and Linnets, my first Wheatear of the year (at last!) and several Sandmartins. Sadly no Grasshopper Warbler though. See full account on my blog.

Stunning sunset this evening - see pictures on my blog and also other recently added pictures:

Looking forward to seeing my first Black Stork in Norfolk too - my parents told me they saw one 'when I was too little to remember' so I can't really count that!;)

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Check out http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=196694 for Black Stork discussions!!!

Last edited:
If anyone is checking the area out for black stork do not restrict your search to wetland areas. The Gt Rybrough bird spent most of its time on a set aside field right next to the main Norwich - Fakenham road at Langor Bridge. but it was not in a suitable site to let the news out, no parking and as soon as anyone entered the field it was on if was off. However on each day it had 3-4 flybys of both the Wensum Valley and Swanton Novers Watch points and most who put the time in saw the bird. Prior to that bird there was one , also a long staying bird , at the Swanton Novers watchpoint about 10 years beforehand and again it spent a lot of time on farmland close to Snoring.

Last edited:
Cannot see them all

I looked for it on the way to work and on the way home from work for the whole week, plus a couple of lunch breaks - which means I dipped it 12 times, and have still not seen one in Norfolk.

At least I only dipped the Eagle three times, but then again I don't need that for Norfolk. Nice of it to spend my lunch break within easy reach of my workplace today... the day I was working from home flippin' miles away. And nice of it to bog off to Lincolnshire - at least now I won't have to waste any more time chasing after it.

:-C

As for me

30 May 1993. Trip to Brecks. Pass phonebox. No pager. I should stop and call Birdline. No, I think, am happy to stay where I am. Big mistake. Dip pacific swift

27 May 2002. Bank holiday Monday. Not keen on a trip to the then new honey buzzard watchpoint at Gt Ryburgh. Hold on - (elusive and mobile) black stork, county tick (lifer Suffolk 1998). Decided to go. Black stork seen. No twitchable bird since!

Titchwell April 7th

Today’s highlights

Greater flamingo – the adult briefly on the fresh marsh turned out to be an escape that has been touring the country recently
Garganey – 2 pairs on fresh marsh
White wagtail – 19 on brackish marsh
Yellow wagtail – 10 on brackish marsh
Lapland bunting – 3 (inc a summer male) on the brackish marsh
Little ringed plover – 4 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard – pair on fresh marsh
Sandwich tern – 3 on fresh marsh
Long tailed duck – 1 offshore
Wheatear – 3 on grazing marsh

Paul

After the dissapointment of ( due to being a bit slow at going for it!) missing the Eagle, by 20 mins yesterday, headed to the Brecks for some proper birding today.
Resisted twitching Sardinian Warblers and Black Storks in the East and saw the following:
Goshawk
Mandarin Duck
Les Spot Wood
Firecrest
Ring Ouzels

Great day out in sunshine and twitch-stress free!!

Rebirth

Well that discussion about the Black Stork ended interestingly didn't it. As i was typing my computer was literally dying in front of my eyes (the HAL reference being very appropriate), so brand new computer and fresh start, I shall no longer be hiding behind the alias Pomskua or using that log in - i wouldn't want to go back to it - its got blocked chi (i'm guessing this is OK with the MODs because I have a new computer?)

Just a couple of thing before getting back to the birds. Thank you for the concern about the drinking, I'm now on a total detox with just over 1 week before the London Marathon and that may well continue onwards. Yes the pager is just about to go in the post back to RBA, i've only really been using it as an alarm clock recently - expensive for an alarm clock. I shall not however be moving to Sea Palling, Blakeney is satisfying all my needs, however would very much enjoy some profound birding down there Mid May? ;)

I know I've got some strange, controversial, far fetched views and the discussion can get quite heated - healthy isn't it. I know that all the people i had these discussions with are good friends and know that its nothing personal, we meet in the field its all cool.

Have a good weekend everyone

Well that discussion about the Black Stork ended interestingly didn't it. As i was typing my computer was literally dying in front of my eyes (the HAL reference being very appropriate), so brand new computer and fresh start, I shall no longer be hiding behind the alias Pomskua or using that log in - i wouldn't want to go back to it - its got blocked chi (i'm guessing this is OK with the MODs because I have a new computer?)

Just a couple of thing before getting back to the birds. Thank you for the concern about the drinking, I'm now on a total detox with just over 1 week before the London Marathon and that may well continue onwards. Yes the pager is just about to go in the post back to RBA, i've only really been using it as an alarm clock recently - expensive for an alarm clock. I shall not however be moving to Sea Palling, Blakeney is satisfying all my needs, however would very much enjoy some profound birding down there Mid May? ;)

I know I've got some strange, controversial, far fetched views and the discussion can get quite heated - healthy isn't it. I know that all the people i had these discussions with are good friends and know that its nothing personal, we meet in the field its all cool.

Have a good weekend everyone

Like it Josh! Good to have you back to reality!
:t::t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back