• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Swaro Pockets (5 Viewers)

Frank:

That is good news, a quality 8x25 has been mentioned lots of time,
as a nice size, and better than the little 8x20, with easier eye placement
and larger exit pupil.

Thanks for posting.

Jerry

Thanks for the find Frank.

I checked out the 8x25 and 10x25 specs - looks like a handy increase in close-focus distance ability, and more ER and Fov too over the x20 variants, for minimal physical size increase, although ~ 50% more weight.

I can't say that I like the green armour version at all. Hopefully, there'll be a stylish little Tyrol version too.

Chosun :gh:

Yes, indeed. Thanks for the links, Frank. At last an alpha steps up with 25mm objectives on an 8x. More eye relief, 12.2 ounces, easier view than the 20mms. Nice.

Looking forward to seeing this one.

Mark

I can't say that I like the green armour version at all. Hopefully, there'll be a stylish little Tyrol version too.
Chosun :gh:

According to that website they're also available in black and sandbrown, just like the CL Companion bins. It is nothing stated about different kind of bags or cases or other special accessories, though.

Steve

Last edited:
Pocket size should be as it is - "Pocket" sized

:eek!: As the name suggests "Pocket", for the much more weight, larger size, it is not so much of a 8x pocket anymore.

Although it can be "better" and "easier" to view through 25mm than 20mm, but one can argue, the 32mm is a lot better than the 25mm, and then the 42 is again better view than the 32mm.... but they are not "pocket..."

So "pocket size" should be that way pocket sized and weight... at 345g, it is 105g heavier than the pocket-sized Leica 8x20 Ultravid.

Funny thing, when I tried the 30 mm CL, it didn't seem so hot optically, but when I tried Swaro's little 8x20 I thought it was brilliant. So, I only hope these new "CLs" are as good as the previous compact, not a step down in quality.
Ron

I hate to think what they will cost!:eek!:

I still have one of my 8 x 25 Columbia's left. It cost me 80 bucks when it was discontinued; down from $240.00 when new. It has a 360' FOV and is really a very good "pocket" binocular. I don't think I could justify paying $1000.00 for one made by Swarovski.

Bob

Last edited:
Well, here's the U.S. pricing scoop. They will be replacing the current models and there isn't a release date yet. Everything happens in Europe first.
The 8x will MSRP at $888.00, so dealers MAP will be $799.00. That's $60 more than the current 8x.
The 10x will MSRP at $954, so dealers MAP will be $859.00. That's $30 more than the current 10x.

Swarovski reps are at the Tucson(AZ) Bird & Wildlife Festival this week. The new 8x25 and 10x25 CL pocket binos were available for inspection. They are amazingly good quality for such a small binocular. Leica was also at the festival and IMHO the Swarovskis are superior to the Leica Trinovid compact binoculars. The 17 mm eye relief on the Swarovskis is particularly appealing for a compact bino if one wears eyeglasses

Swarovski reps are at the Tucson(AZ) Bird & Wildlife Festival this week. The new 8x25 and 10x25 CL pocket binos were available for inspection. They are amazingly good quality for such a small binocular. Leica was also at the festival and IMHO the Swarovskis are superior to the Leica Trinovid compact binoculars. The 17 mm eye relief on the Swarovskis is particularly appealing for a compact bino if one wears eyeglasses

I was just at the festival and looked through the glasses. They were very nice but since I had just bought the 8x30 SVs I didn't spend too much time with the new pockets. If I'd known they were the new ones I might have spent more time.

Chad

"...are superior to the Leica Trinovid compact binoculars..."
But I hope it is not "superior" to the Leica Ultravid compact though...;)I know the CL wouldn't either...

Holy Cow! Ladies and gentlemen, Leica, the featherweight champion of the world has just been defeated!

Swaro reigns supreme now in two categories - midsized and compacts. :king::king:

The 8x56 SCL might make that three. :king:

<B>

Holy Cow! Ladies and gentlemen, Leica, the featherweight champion of the world has just been defeated!

Swaro reigns supreme now in two categories - midsized and compacts. :king::king:

The 8x56 SCL might make that three. :king:

<B>

Opinion from Europe is skeptical!

Here is Typos's report on the new Swarovski 25s from the Bird Fair in Rutland on the 16th:

"They also had the Swarovski Pocket x25s. Not sharp, and together with the narrow view made it a disappointment."

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2801148&postcount=2

Not overwhelmed by the 15 x 56 either.

But what do they know?:smoke:

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back