• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What does it mean that binoculars with larger lens diameter are more comfortable? (1 Viewer)

Fjodor

Hi,

I've often heard that larger binoculars with larger lens diameter are more comfortable to use. E.g. it is more comfortable to use 8x42 vs 8x25 binoculars.

But what exactly does that mean? In what way are larger binoculars more comfortable? Can someone please try to explain that.

Thanks!

Hi,

I've often heard that larger binoculars with larger lens diameter are more comfortable to use. E.g. it is more comfortable to use 8x42 vs 8x25 binoculars.

But what exactly does that mean? In what way are larger binoculars more comfortable? Can someone please try to explain that.

Larger objective lenses mean that the binocular's exit pupils are also larger. It thus becomes easier to keep the eye's entrance pupil aligned with the binocular's exit pupil. Given that on a "normal", overcast day your exit pupils are likely to be about 2.5mm, binoculars with exit pupils >2.5mm are likely to be far easier to use. This becomes most obvious in prolonged use or on windy days, or when're you're tired.

I personally don't use any binoculars with exit pupils <4.0mm for everyday birding. Compacts with their small exit pupils are OK to have a quick look - but I don't really like using them for "real" birding.

Hermann

Ok, I see. And what problems does it cause if the exit pupil is too small? What happens if the eye's entrance pupil is not aligned with the binocular's exit pupil?

Ok, I see. And what problems does it cause if the exit pupil is too small? What happens if the eye's entrance pupil is not aligned with the binocular's exit pupil?

Depending on how far out of alignment, all you may see is black.

Large binoculars with large objectives and large eyepieces usually have large eye cups with wide rims and these are more comfortable to use. It is easier to brace them up against your eyebrows which is a good way to keep the binocular steady.

Bob

Hermann wrote: "Larger objective lenses mean that the binocular's exit pupils are also larger."

What if the magnification is inordinately large? The exit pupil is not the size of the rear eyelens. Case in point: the Fujinon FMT-SX and FMTR-SX have rear eyelenses just over an inch wide. However, the optical exit pupil is just over 7mm. To determine the size of the exit pupil, divide the clear aperture of the objective lens (in millimeters) by the magnification. That said, the larger mechanical exit pupil does make it more comfortable to use, and it allow one to wear classes and still be able to see the whole field. Some people, new to binos with good eye relief, complain of having too much. That, however, if much like riding a bike. When you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature.

Bill

Last edited:
Hmm... how can it ever be bad to have good eye relief in binoculars? What drawbacks are there?

Not knowing, intuitively, exactly where to place your eyes relative to the eyepiece. It has never been a problem for me, and probably won't be for you. I guess for some it can be a problem, but I've never seen a need to make it an issue.

Enjoy, and don't go looking for issues; enough will find you on their own! :t:

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back