• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best walkabout lens for trip to Australia (1 Viewer)

I don't have a 2.0TC but I do have the 1.4 and 1.7. Pitvar ( see above) let me try his 2.0 and I thought it was slightly better IQ and slightly faster AF than the the 1.7 to be honest although neither compares with the 1.4 which is super fast but it doesn't give you much reach at 280mm.

Hello Len, when Dave [Rioja] gets his Nikon V1 hopefully there will be another field test :t: and I can let you know how the 70-200 works with a 2x TC and a mirror less camera - which could just be the ultimate travel set up! Peter

I don't have a 2.0TC but I do have the 1.4 and 1.7. Pitvar ( see above) let me try his 2.0 and I thought it was slightly better IQ and slightly faster AF than the the 1.7 to be honest although neither compares with the 1.4 which is super fast but it doesn't give you much reach at 280mm.
With the 2.0x you have an f5.6 right through the zoom range and a reach of 400mm.
I have a report on my trip to Ibiza here
http://www.pbase.com/davidwilliamsphotography/trip_reports
All the bird photo's were taken with the 70-200 which was all the weight allowance I had on my budget airline flight.
What I like about the lens is not only it's portability but it's versatility too. Wide open at f2.8 it makes a good portrait lens as well as capturing fast action in low light conditions which was my point about a 300mm prime being very limited in use by comparison.
cheers Dave
Really good bird images Dave. You must have had a lot of fun on holiday. I'm not getting the best images with the 70-200 and TC but I can see that you are with the lens stopped down to f8. Think I'll give that a go.
Thanks,

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back