• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Backup Software (1 Viewer)

davids

Can anybody recommend good backup software. I am currently using Samsung Auto Backup which came with a Samsung external 1Tb drive. The software has twice now failed to recognise the drive during normal scheduled backups and I have had to start the backup from scratch.

David

How about FreeFile sync - totally configurable - I use it to 'mirror' my photo storage so anything new is added, anything deleted is deleted and anything updated is - well, updated.

Hi David,

First, perhaps especially if you have the drive connected for long periods of time between uses (you should only connect it to do a specific task ideally), check with the properties for the USB Root Hub(s), under the Power management tab, that the computer is NOT allowed to turn off the device to save power.

Good free imaging software discussed and rated here, same for backup programs here.

Thanks for the suggestions

I admit I have left the device plugged in which is not very sensible for a backup drive.

In device manager it appears as though the computer can manage the drives power and put it to sleep but I am not sure if this is the problem as the backup software still fails to recognize the drive even when I have viewed the drive in windows explorer.

I will look at the alternatives you suggest

Thanks again

David

Hi David,
Yep Free File Sync here as well, I palyed with a lot of apps before I found this one.
Personally I don't keep my back up disk attached all the time.
It's quick and easy to plug in a couple of cables, click 3 or so buttons on the software and job done.
It should have no problems picking up from where your Samsung softy has been working, unless of course it has been doing some sort of weird known only to Samsung structure.
:)

Thanks Grahame, I will give it a try, I suspect it will not recognise the samsung backup but I will probably start from a complete new backup anyway.

Regards

David

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back