• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

how to price a damaged binocular ? (1 Viewer)

A2GG

Beth
United States
I have two Nikon Monarch HG 8x30. I purchased a brand new one over the weekend (sort of on impulse). My first one was purchased refurbished from Nikon Direct in 2020. I've been using this one for about 2.5 years. The rubber cap over the focus wheel came off during the first year of use. I haven't sent it in for repair to Nikon yet. It's out of warranty and I'd have to pay out of pocket. Other than the rubber cap issue it's been very solid and works great.

My plan was to keep both and use the refurb as backup, but now I've changed my mind. I'd like to have a different binocular as my backup instead of having two of the same exact model. So, I'm thinking of selling the refurb binocular as is. I haven't yet made a final decision about this yet as I want to look through my new HG a bit more to see if it's up to par with my first one. I only looked through the new HG briefly at the store.

If I'm fully satisiied with the new HG I will sell the old. Not sure if I should send it in for repair then sell it or sell it as is. Like I said, I'd have to pay out of pocket for repair. So I'm leaning more towards selling it as is. Perhaps there's some people who will be able fix it themselves and have a nice HG for a cheap price.

What would be a reasonable price for the refurb HG with no rubber over the focuser ? I would throw in brand new tethered obj lens caps (from the new HG) and possibly the new Nikon case which btw is very nice indeed ... or instead my small Leica case which I have laying around.

Let me know what you guys think about a price for the refurb with the rubber issue plus the new extras thrown in.
thanks

First do you have the rubber that came off the focus wheel, regardless if you have it or not - I would contact Nikon send it in, you might not pay anything and get it repaired, except postage. Now that you have a new HG, I would definitely send the other one in to Nikon, I really do not think they are going to charge you for that repair.
Either way it will be worth more with the focus wheel issue solved.

First do you have the rubber that came off the focus wheel, regardless if you have it or not - I would contact Nikon send it in, you might not pay anything and get it repaired, except postage. Now that you have a new HG, I would definitely send the other one in to Nikon, I really do not think they are going to charge you for that repair.
Either way it will be worth more with the focus wheel issue solved.
I don't have the rubber cap. It was stretched out and I tried to glue it back on myself. Since it was stretched it separated again so I threw it out.

the last time I spoke to Nikon support they said I would be charged for the repair since it's out of warranty, but they couldn't quote me until they take it in and inspect it.

Personally I would send it in find out the cost, but that is just me. I would not buy one with out the rubber, I think it would discounted more than what Binastro quoted.

Personally I would send it in find out the cost, but that is just me. I would not buy one with out the rubber, I think it would discounted more than what Binastro quoted.
thanks. yes would anyone even want to buy it is a concern. One time I saw a Zeiss FL for sale on ebay and it had no rubber armor on it at all and some other issue. Someone bought it ... but that's an alpha.

I paid $560 for my refurb HG and have been using it solely for almost 2 and a half years so I think I already got my money's worth out of it. I wouldn't expect to make too much from the sale. It would just be about getting rid of it and making a little bit of cash.

I may just send it in for repair. I'll have to think on that some more.
What do you guys think of a price for the repaired unit (bought originally refurbished) ?
I'm thinking this could be priced around $350 ish.

I don't have the rubber cap. It was stretched out and I tried to glue it back on myself. Since it was stretched it separated again so I threw it out.

the last time I spoke to Nikon support they said I would be charged for the repair since it's out of warranty, but they couldn't quote me until they take it in and inspect it.
Hi Beth,

That's typical Nikon, they will never give you an estimate until after you send it in. I bet a lot of Nikon owners have not sent their bins in for repairs because they are worried about getting hit with a big bill. Nikon knows the cost since it's only a matter of replacing a small part, so it's the cost of the part plus labor to put it on, which would take 30 seconds.

I agree with Andy that you could get more money for it with the cap replaced, so it might be worth getting it repaired if the cost isn't too high. To find out, it will cost you the price of shipping. So, it might be worth it unless you a in a hurry to sell it.

I think $300 is too low since the 8x30 HG costs nearly $1,000 new. So like you, the buyer is already getting a bargain with a refurb.

It doesn't cost anything to list them in the Classifieds on BF and Cloudy Nights. It cost $15 to list them on Astromart (that's for a year's membership). I've had more success selling bins even smaller aperture bins on Astromart than I have on BF or CN. So you can put them up for $495 and see if you get any bites. If not, you can lower the price.

What bin do you plan to buy as your new back up to the 8x30 HG?

Brock

Hi Beth,

That's typical Nikon, they will never give you an estimate until after you send it in. I bet a lot of Nikon owners have not sent their bins in for repairs because they are worried about getting hit with a big bill. Nikon knows the cost since it's only a matter of replacing a small part, so it's the cost of the part plus labor to put it on, which would take 30 seconds.

I agree with Andy that you could get more money for it with the cap replaced, so it might be worth getting it repaired if the cost isn't too high. To find out, it will cost you the price of shipping. So, it might be worth it unless you a in a hurry to sell it.

I think $300 is too low since the 8x30 HG costs nearly $1,000 new. So like you, the buyer is already getting a bargain with a refurb.

It doesn't cost anything to list them in the Classifieds on BF and Cloudy Nights. It cost $15 to list them on Astromart (that's for a year's membership). I've had more success selling bins even smaller aperture bins on Astromart than I have on BF or CN. So you can put them up for $495 and see if you get any bites. If not, you can lower the price.

Brock
Hey Brock,

Thanks for all of the advice.

I’m not sure what to buy as a second bino. After buying the new MHG this weekend I’ll have to wait a bit before making another purchase. I have other expenses coming up like a new mattress and new tires for my car. So it may be quite a while before I can buy anything else. I’d like to make my next bino purchase my last one for a long time. I think 2 nice bins should get me by for quite a while.

I have traded on auction site since they started. And I'm a compulsive watchers even tho not always a buyer :) I think I've observed that items with a high value do ok, and my assumption is that folks plan on using warranties as a way of getting an item (refurbed) at an attractive price. The HG's, while not cheap by any means, are in a category (not one of the 'famous' big three) that makes that arithmetic marginal. I.e. if you sold it for $400, then it costs buyer 3-400 to get it repaired (don't forget to factor all the shipping, fees, etc.), they end up very close to retail (or open box etc). So yes, I would definitely make sure I had exhausted all the repair options. I think a working bino with no 'warts' (assuming everything else in nice shape) would net you more return.
Of course I could be wrong LOL!

As to 2nd: I find that an 8 and a 10 are really nice to have. If headed to beach, open country, lakes/ponds, raptor count, I def want a 10. If headed into deep woods to look for warblers, def an 8.

Hey Brock,

Thanks for all of the advice.

I’m not sure what to buy as a second bino. After buying the new MHG this weekend I’ll have to wait a bit before making another purchase. I have other expenses coming up like a new mattress and new tires for my car. So it may be quite a while before I can buy anything else. I’d like to make my next bino purchase my last one for a long time. I think 2 nice bins should get me by for quite a while.
Beth,

Didn't you own a Leica 7x42 UV HD? I thought that would be a great back up for the 8x30 HG on dismal days when the larger aperture and exit pupils would work better.

I had an 8x42 EDG II but traded it for an 8x32 EDG II. It's lighter, easier to hold, and to my eyes, a bit sharper, but I do miss the 8x42 on cloudy days, which we have plenty during this mild winter.

Glad to hear you have your priroties straight. I need a new mattress (it's not that old, I bought it 2 1/2 years ago, it's gel foam but too mushy for my bad back), and my car needs repairs (the tires are okay but everything else is falling apart).

But unlike you, I did not give in to such mundane necessities. I swaped the 8x42 EDG for the 8x32 and bought a Nikon 8x32 SE. I now take the bus and take Tyenol for my back, but it's not working today, so I'll have to end this and lay down on my heating pad.

Good Luck!
Brock

Didn't you own a Leica 7x42 UV HD? I thought that would be a great back up for the 8x30 HG on dismal days when the larger aperture and exit pupils would work better.
Yes, I sold it due to weight. I realize now I should have kept it. I do think about buying another one, but they are so expensive now.
I would love to end up with a Leica for my last purchase. It will work out over time and I think I should end up with something nice.

Just walked around the block with the new MHG. The view is similar to my original but there's something very slightly different I can't put my finger on. My eyes are very tired now which doesn't help.

btw...I looked through the MHG 8x42 outside the store and wow it's really nice. The view is very bright and resolution is more impressive.
I almost went with the 8x42, but I really love the little 8x30.

Called Nikon earlier and had a good convo with the support guy. He said even though my binocular is out of warranty he thinks it should be ok. I'll send it in sometime soon.
Great to hear! I appears with Nikon if you don't get the answer you expected the first time, you've got to call again and hope you find a more sympathetic customer service rep. I may follow suit since I wasn't happy with my first attempt at gettting a problem resolved with a pair of defective Nikons.

As to your back-up bin. Did you try a Zeiss 8x40 SFL at the optics store? It might give you the brighter view you need on gloomy days but without the extra weight (it's only 22.6 oz.). The SFLs are also less expensive than a Leica UV (MSRP $1799). I've seen one for sale from an authorized dealer for $1200 without the box (which from what I've seen in an SFL unboxing video on YouTube, the box isn't worth $59 let alone $599!).

I didn't know it was an unboxing video since it labeled as a review, but after realizing it was, it made me channel my inner Andy Rooney:

Did ya ever wonder why people make unboxing videos on YouTube? What's up with that? Do they think we actually care about what the box a product came in looks like? I especially take offense at unboxing videos of sneakers. Am I going to wear the box or the sneakers? Don't tell me what the box looks like, tell me how well the sneakers fit and if they are comfortable or not. I mean, sometimes, you really got to wonder about people. :)

Brock

the last time I spoke to Nikon support they said I would be charged for the repair since it's out of warranty
What was the warranty period? Presumably that affects resale prices too. (Yes, definitely send it in and see what happens...)

As to your back-up bin. Did you try a Zeiss 8x40 SFL at the optics store?
LOL, I like the Andy Rooney bit. I remember him and that's exactly how he did his segment.

Yes, I tried the SFL 8x40 a couple of times. It's very nice. I still would prefer an Ultravid even though it's heavier.
I only had brief looks through the SFL, but I got a good idea of the handling and focus. I think if I owned an SFL I'd be happy with it.
Maybe by the time I'm ready to buy my next bino there will be a couple more new binoculars to consider too. Right now, I don't even want to think about it anymore after splurging for the new MHG over the weekend.

What was the warranty period? Presumably that affects resale prices too. (Yes, definitely send it in and see what happens...)
It was 6 months for refurbished. I don't think Nikon has a transferrable warranty anyway ... or do they ?

Hi!

The rubber cover on the focusing wheel is prone to stretching. Stretched rubber focuser covers seem to be a frequent problem in many binocular models.

Charged for the repair!!?? Now that is rich! I don't live in the UK, but I can assure you that the service from Nikon UK has been excellent. They have twice sent me replacement rubber focuser covers free of charge (despite living abroad) that I have simply glued on myself. Not that i would mind paying a small charge for postage. Otherwise you can do a DIY job and make one with an old bicycle inner tube.

My tip for today: Once you see the rubber cap is loose and no longer glued on, then remove it and leave it in the freezer for a feew hours. Take it out, make sure it is dry and then apply some glue. Press on the cover, making sure there it is properly pressed down without any bulges. use tape if necessary to hold in place whilst the glue sets. Freezing the cover before attachment seems to work better than trying to fix it at room temperature. I doubt the rubber shrinks very much, but it seems easier to work with when stiffer.

SW

Hi,

usual price in astro scene for used optics is 60 to 70% of current or last available new price. That's for ok condition to like new in box. With a minor part missing, I would probably start at 50% of new price and see if there's any takers...

Or get it fixed and sell at 60% or so... as has been mentioned, the fix will probably not cost a lot...

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back