• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need Advice on Bird's Nest Quickly Thanks! (1 Viewer)

Alexa22

I have discovered a completed bird's nest in the eave of my front porch. The mother bird is sleeping in it at night and I'm sure she's ready to leave her eggs at any time now. I have two outdoor cats, and I don't anticipate a good outcome if the eggs hatch. Should I remove the nest completely today and hope she finds a new spot very soon? What is the kindest and best thing to do in this situation? Thank you.

I have discovered a completed bird's nest in the eave of my front porch. The mother bird is sleeping in it at night and I'm sure she's ready to leave her eggs at any time now. I have two outdoor cats, and I don't anticipate a good outcome if the eggs hatch. Should I remove the nest completely today and hope she finds a new spot very soon? What is the kindest and best thing to do in this situation? Thank you.

Why have outdoor cats?, everybody knows they kill things if they're allowed out, I have two rescue cats which seem happy to be inside, it's safer for them also. You seem a very caring person to be so concerned but cats and wildlife don't mix and there's no easy answer to your problem, could you keep them in for a while perhaps?

I agree that you shouldn't touch the nest. You obviously care about the birds, and really you are in an understandable dilemma. IF the cats cannot reach the nest maybe you could let things take there course and when the young are close to fledging keep the cats indoors until they are flying properly.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back