• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which 8x32s? (1 Viewer)

nightswift

Hi all,

I currently have a pair of leica 8x42 HD ultravids which I absolutely adore but find a bit too heavy to lug around all the time (i am very petite!). So I am thinking of sadly trading them in to go for a 8x32 binocular.
Does anyone had any particular recommendations on what I should try out?
The ultravid and Zeiss Victory are two modals which I would particularly like to try.

Many thanks,
Nicole :t:

I owned the Zeiss, its not actually that small, I really really liked the Ultravid, easily the smallest if thats your goal and you know you like the Leica view, also the Swarovski SV, but I do see some strange distortion in it so its not for me.

I would`nt discount a Meopta, Zeiss Conquest or even a Vortex HD before only looking at the top of the tree.

On a personal note I`d recomend trying an Opticron Aurora you get to keep a 42mm bin thats the size and weight of many 32mm models, and the view is top endish too.

John.

For a woman? Swarovski Habicht 8x30 with leatherette, or Swarovski CL companion 8x30.
Every girl like their view and their body.

Hi all,

I currently have a pair of leica 8x42 HD ultravids which I absolutely adore but find a bit too heavy to lug around all the time (i am very petite!). So I am thinking of sadly trading them in to go for a 8x32 binocular.
Does anyone had any particular recommendations on what I should try out?
The ultravid and Zeiss Victory are two modals which I would particularly like to try.

Many thanks,
Nicole :t:
The 8X32 Swarovision beats them both and it only weighs 20 ounces. My wife loves hers!

I owned the Zeiss, its not actually that small, I really really liked the Ultravid, easily the smallest if thats your goal and you know you like the Leica view, also the Swarovski SV, but I do see some strange distortion in it so its not for me.

I would`nt discount a Meopta, Zeiss Conquest or even a Vortex HD before only looking at the top of the tree.

On a personal note I`d recomend trying an Opticron Aurora you get to keep a 42mm bin thats the size and weight of many 32mm models, and the view is top endish too.

John.

Many thanks for the recommendations John, the Aurora sounds like good alternative option as it is only the weight issue that is drawing me towards considering a 32 bino. Having done some research I see the Aurora weighs 654g compared with 790g weight of my ultravids. Defiantly sounds like a contender |=)|

Best wishes,
Nicole.

Get to a shop and try them for yourself. The Leica Ultravid 8x32 seems an obvious choice as it is the smallest and lightest of the alphas, and you already like the Leica view. I see lots of petite ladies carrying them as they are really amazingly compact for how great the optics are. But you may decide you love the SV or maybe you decide the tiny size of the CL is worth the sacrifice in optics/FOV.

You may also want to consider not trading in the big boys but rather getting a second pair for times when you don't want to carry the weight. There are some excellent "second tier" 8x32 options that are quite light, like Meopta Meostar, Opticron Countryman HD, Vortex Viper HD, Minox BL 8x33, etc that might fit the budget while allowing you to keep your beloved 8x42s.

For a woman? Swarovski Habicht 8x30 with leatherette, or Swarovski CL companion 8x30.
Every girl like their view and their body.

Nicole,
I think Georgio has some good suggestions here. I can add the Nikon Premier SE 8x32 which I own. It is a small porro prism (like the Habicht 8x30), very nice and has outstanding view. I really love it. That Swaro CL companion is nice too. I really liked the feel of it when I handled this model a while back.
~ Beth

Get to a shop and try them for yourself. The Leica Ultravid 8x32 seems an obvious choice as it is the smallest and lightest of the alphas, and you already like the Leica view. I see lots of petite ladies carrying them as they are really amazingly compact for how great the optics are. But you may decide you love the SV or maybe you decide the tiny size of the CL is worth the sacrifice in optics/FOV.

Eitanaltman has a good point too. I think the Ultravid is really nice and light and specs looks great. It just was always out of my price range. But, this seems like it could be your best choice since you like Leica already.

My wife replaced her Leitz (very early Leica) 8x40s with Leica Ultravid HD 8x32 and even though I am a Zeiss enthusiast I must say her Uvids are very elegant and handle well. If you like the Leica view you will Leica these!

Lee

I would not call the SE 8x32 small,but are other porros that would complement the Ultravid HD 8x42 well,..The idea of keeping your Ultravid HD and adding a second,maybe less expensive pair to your stable,is a good way to go..You keep a bino that actually works for you (is already a lot to say ,keep in mind that the 8x32 UV HD view might be different and will not have the resolving power of the binocular you already own!)and get something small ,different ,less expensive and worry-free...with that in mind a small porro like the opticron savanah ,or the Kowa YF would give you a very decent view,in a small,lightweight package and the price is really nothing to think about when compared with your UltraVid, so You can have them both

I would not call the SE 8x32 small,

I have the Yosemite 6x30 which is probably the same size/dimensionis as the Kowa YF 8x30 you mention. The SE is just a little wider, but shorter. It's really not a huge difference between the two in terms of size. It's still , for a porro, considered small. But, it is heavier than those others.

here is the SE among other small porros...attached pic. The best advice Nicole is really
to try in person at a shop if you have some place locally available to you. What works for me may be something
that doesn't work well at all for you. That goes for all of the suggestions here.
I think def. go try the smaller Ultravid...it's very light and compact.

Attachments

• bins.JPG
    bins.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:

You may also want to consider not trading in the big boys but rather getting a second pair for times when you don't want to carry the weight. There are some excellent "second tier" 8x32 options that are quite light, like Meopta Meostar, Opticron Countryman HD, Vortex Viper HD, Minox BL 8x33, etc that might fit the budget while allowing you to keep your beloved 8x42s.

Many thanks for your suggestions eitanaltman, I think thats a good point in maybe considering a second tier type binocular as I would be pretty upset to trade my leicas in (call it sentimental I guess). I am hoping to get some time nxt week to visit an optic shop and will certainly try some of the models you suggest.

Nicole |=)|

Nicole,
I think Georgio has some good suggestions here. I can add the Nikon Premier SE 8x32 which I own. It is a small porro prism (like the Habicht 8x30), very nice and has outstanding view. I really love it. That Swaro CL companion is nice too. I really liked the feel of it when I handled this model a while back.
~ Beth

Beth,

Many thanks for your input. I had a chance to look through some CL companions today and was quite impressed by the view and the feel of the binocular in the hand (very smooth and compact). Defiantly an option as not quite as expensive as some of the top alphas. Hoping to try some more binos in the nxt week or so. I will update with my progress.
Nice collection of binos by the way :)

All the best,
Nicole.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back