• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best big binoculars for me, please advice. (1 Viewer)

paleloc

I was advised in the birdfourm to take a big binos to get more valuable image of the night sky.
I'm now seriously considering get a gigantic binos before my West Central China tour for Dark Sky.

Certainly, I will put it in the car boot, and mount it on tripod when watching.
So, I prefer a real big one, with real high magnitude.
I believe the visual for both eyes is very important for the image quality forming in the brain.
And I think big bino mounted on a tripod is also awesome for land scene in distance.
So, the big Newton reflects are all ignored.

As I already have a 7X50 & 10X40 binos.
Now, Iā€™m just wondering on 15X70, 20X60 or even 30X120.
What will be the best to extend my binoculars collections, especially, for my dark night astronomy?

I was advised in the birdfourm to take a big binos to get more valuable image of the night sky.
I'm now seriously considering get a gigantic binos before my West Central China tour for Dark Sky.

Certainly, I will put it in the car boot, and mount it on tripod when watching.
So, I prefer a real big one, with real high magnitude.
I believe the visual for both eyes is very important for the image quality forming in the brain.
And I think big bino mounted on a tripod is also awesome for land scene in distance.
So, the big Newton reflects are all ignored.

As I already have a 7X50 & 10X40 binos.
Now, Iā€™m just wondering on 15X70, 20X60 or even 30X120.
What will be the best to extend my binoculars collections, especially, for my dark night astronomy?

How about these?

http://www.telescope.com/Binoculars...-25x100-Binoculars/pc/-1/c/5/sc/68/p/9119.uts

I would suggest the fujinon 10x70 or 16x70 which sales around $6-700US,
or one of the clones at 10.5 and 15x70 which are described as "almost"
as good for several hundred dollars US cheaper.
Both are built like a tank, have outstanding optics, but are heavy,
and the 16x70 has less eye relief if you wear glasses.
The lower power is better for darker skies, the higher power for light polluted skies

You can also check the Cloudy Nights Telescope review forum under the Binocular section-they have a reivew of >450 binoculars

100mm binoculars would be better, but very big/heavy for travel.

edj

This might sound crazy but I bought some 20x80 bins on the internet for around $100 bucks of some unknown (to me) brand but well reviewed that turned out to do a very good job for astronomy. And they doubled as a spotting bin off my upper deck that provided many hours of twilight viewing. I loath the day I sold those. Optically they were quite good. You often now days don't have to break the bank to get pretty good optical quality. Great for us guys on a budget.

I bought the 20X80 Skymaster last summer for $95. For that amount, I am totally satisfied. Many other people have had QC issues, that hasn't been the case with mine.

Bruce

This might sound crazy but I bought some 20x80 bins on the internet for around $100 bucks of some unknown (to me) brand but well reviewed that turned out to do a very good job for astronomy. And they doubled as a spotting bin off my upper deck that provided many hours of twilight viewing. I loath the day I sold those. Optically they were quite good. You often now days don't have to break the bank to get pretty good optical quality. Great for us guys on a budget.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back