• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good morning 🌞🌞 please help deciding binoculars! (1 Viewer)

Wobby

Germany
Good morning everyone as you have guessed I'm trying to find a suitable pair of binoculars that would work well for birds in garden and even abit of astronomy but there's tons to choose from and hours of reviews my conclusion up to now is maybe 10×50 Nikon aculon or some Carl Zeiss 10×50 but with the Nikon you can only start to focus from 7 meters away and sometimes the birds are closer.
I have around €100-300 to spend .
But read the Carl Zeiss have a really wide fov compared to Many of today's. Many than

Last edited:
The Bushnell Legacy (or similarly spec'ed Orion Ultraview and Helios Naturesport Plus) may be worth a look :

Going deeper into your budget might open up the option of a roof prism model...
So you wouldn't recommend the older binoculars

The Zeiss may well be a good option for you (y). Holger's review here mentions a few potential issues (eg. short eye relief, lack of weather proofing) that might be non-issues for you :
I'm guessing the model reviewed there was actually quite a late one given that the image colour was identified as very neutral; earlier models might be a tiny bit yellowish? I guess the main issue for most folks might be the effort of securing a good copy on the used market.

instead of aculon try the action ex, ae, the zeiss will have a lower transmission_ due to age coatings, but is a great looking bino, and good to hold

instead of aculon try the action ex, ae, the zeiss will have a lower transmission_ due to age coatings, but is a great looking bino, and good to hold
What's the difference between the action and aculon apart from waterproof and grass filled

What's the difference between the action and aculon apart from waterproof and grass filled
Eye relief is much better on the AE. But I'd never recommend either one. The coatings are not up to modern standards. Basically ANY other modern, made in China, binocular is better. Like an Opticron Adventurer T WP. For 300€ I'd consider buying used. I just bought a Meopta Meopro HD 8x32 for 270€ on ebay and it wipes the floor with a Nikon Aculon or Action EX.
Another one to look at might be the new Kenko Ultraview DHIII (the 3rd generation with upgraded coatings on the prisms).
That should also be far better than an entry level Nikon.
Or try finding the second generation Vanguard Endeavor EDII which should be just slightly above your limit. The 10x42 is available for 309€ on German eBay.

Hi Wobby and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I hope you soon get sorted with binoculars which suit you.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Look at Svbony ed sv202, lots of options and very good for the price, perform well for a bit of astronomy especially 10x50.
For a bit more money look at the Nikon M7. If you can share some more of your viewing requirements and whether you like to mount the binoculars this would help in zeroing into better options for you.

Personally I'd get two, a 8x30/32 for garden and birds and walkabouts and a 15x70 mounted for moon and astronomy. Celestron pro 15x70 and Svbony sv202 8x should be in price.

So I just wanted all rounder that are waterproof and fog proof and just hand held really. I did try the aculon 10+50 but just sent them back

The vortex viper hd 10×50 are going for €480 anyone know much about them?
That's a good price.
I had the Razor 10x50 and it was a good binocular, the Viper is the one below and I doubt there's much difference so it makes sense to get the viper. Search YouTube theres video reviews of vipers.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back