• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help! STX v ATX and 85 v 95 (1 Viewer)

Jpidgeon

I am about to take the plunge and buy one of the above scopes but could do with some advice. I will be using the scope for bird watching and my husband will be using it with the TLS APO to digiscope with his DSLR.

My current scope has is straight which I like because I use it mainly in hides and also because I am not tall so can raise the tripod higher than with an angled scope. However, I expect to use the new scope more, not just in hides and for digiscoping thought that maybe the angled eyepiece would be more stable than the straight.

Also I can't decide whether to go for the 85 or the 95. I have read that the 85 is better for digiscoping, also it would be lighter to carry (marginal I know). My existing scope is only 60 so the 85 would be a leap for me. I have looked through the 65 85 and 95 and think they are all excellent but only want to buy one and don't want to regret my choice!

Any advice would be welcome.

Both are excellent choices and it really depends on your future plans I guess.... are you likely to buy the 65 module for lighter travel in the future, do you want the extra magnification of the 95?
One thing to be thoughtfulof is is the magnification , especially considering digiscoping (the TLS is fabulous) , especially from hides. I use the 95 and sometimes wish that the lowest mag' was a bit lower.

The 95 is 30-70x
The 85 is 25-60x

Last edited:
65mm or the 95mm , if you get the 85mm you'll never justify going bigger or smaller in the future !

Maybe you can get the angled and straight eyepiece module to be used with either of your chosen size of objective lens module.

Your husband can use the straight module with TLS APO + DSLR and you can use the angled eyepiece for observation etc

Thanks for the advice. If I could afford to buy more than one I would as I guess whatever I choose is a compromise.
What is the cable tie?

Thanks I think I've decided on the 95 but still unsure about angled or straight

As someone else mentioned, conventional wisdom is that straight scopes are better for digiscoping, because they feel more like standard telephoto lenses, so may be easier to use for some.

When I bought my 95, I went with the ATX, even though I knew I would be doing a lot of digiscoping. The reason being is that my wife is shorter than I am, and sharing an angled scope is easier for people of different heights.

Another advantage is that the angled scope is typically mounted lower down (less tripod extension required), so stability is improved (especially important for digiscoping).

Enjoy your new scope.

Ed

I opted for the angle as I watch the moon and skies quite a bit with mine :t:

You have to weigh up the options I guess.....mines brand new and in the classifieds already due to my health/work situation.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your advice. I changed my mind (I am a woman!) and decided on the ATX 85. I bought it yesterday and took it out today. Absolutely love it and I am happy with my choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back