• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saved a baby bird today (1 Viewer)

Staysee

One of our kittens caught a bird this afternoon, so dad ran out to get it off him and realised it was still alive. He got the bird off him and so i grabbed lewis [the kitten] and chucked him inside the house. Dad heard another bird calling not far away and guessed it was the parent, so we put it on our bird table which was away from harm of cats and had a little food around it and was sheltered.

We waiting a while and there was no sign of mother or father bird for that matter, it was a black bird and no blackbirds came near the garden for the time it was out, its head was down, eyes shut and it was breathing real heavy and fast, so i called the local bird hospital who gave me the number for the local wildlife hospital. He asked me if there was any blood, which there wasnt and so asked me to bring it in seeing as no mother bird had come near.

So we got a shoe box and put it in, it had limped slightly along the table, but like barely standing up and its wings wernt working. So we travelled for like half an hour and were greated by the same guy i spoke to, really nice man.

We got inside and he took the bird out of the box, confirmed it was a baby blackbird, he checked its wings and said there was small damage to its right wing, but left was fine and other then that it was just in shock from the cat and the journey, but otherwise it was a lively little fellow who tried to escape from his hands at any given time!

So i wrote down details as he put him in a cage in the next room, i went through and our bird was about the 6th baby blackbird in the room, the other side had a couple pigeons. The next room had a noisy little fox cub, a tiny little thing, he showed us through and let us see the fox in its cage barking away, then another lady who worked there came through and opened the cage and the little cub came out, she picked him up and let me hold it. It was chewing on my finger and once or twice it cuddled into me, like resting for a second and went really calm, which was so nice....but it was hungry, so wasnt long before it started barking again haha they had hedgehogs in the room and a baby barn owl.

Gave back the cub, then went back through and the man gave me two leaflets, one of which had a number on it which related to the blackbird we brought in, so we gotta give 48hours before we call in to see how our little one has done.

The people were great and the place clean and really nice looking, he really cared!

This is the devon wildlife hospital by the way, amazing place.....fingers crossed our little fellow makes it through the night, he seemed lively enough, but as they always say....shock can be a killer, so its the first night that counts

We would of left it, hoping the mum would eventually come....but me and my dad would feel real upset if it started getting dark and it was still there, plus it couldnt fly so it would of just ended up on the floor anyway and altho our cats come in for the night, others dont and we get foxes and badgers in our garden, so i think we did the right thing

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back