• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (33 Viewers)

Titchwell June 19th

Today’s highlights

Avocet – 111 on fresh marsh
Med gull – 3 on fresh marsh this afternoon
Little gull – 11 1st summer on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 9 on fresh marsh
Dunlin – 2 on fresh marsh
Bar tailed godwit – 450 roosting on fresh marsh
Knot – 1000 roosting on fresh marsh
Wigeon – 3 drakes on fresh marsh

Paul

Bit of a stink, today

But it was much more pleasant than the one yesterday, when one of my friends attempted to dismember a Barn Owl, in an advanced state of putrefaction, to recover a ring on one of its legs.

The Avocet nest (at Salthouse) depicted was, unfortunately, predated before protection could be arranged.

A Green Sandpiper ‘singing’ at Gramboro’, around midday, was most welcome.

As was the pair of Turtle Doves, near Wells, on the way to the Rose-coloured Starling. (They derive their nickname, ‘Pink Stink’, from the unpleasant odour of their huge colonies.)

I finished with my now daily dose of Roller.

Norfolk has become positively kaleidoscopic.

Attachments

• 007pse.jpg
    007pse.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 329pse.jpg
    329pse.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 213
  • 345pse.jpg
    345pse.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 026pse.jpg
    026pse.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
But it was much more pleasant than the one yesterday, when one of my friends attempted to dismember a Barn Owl, in an advanced state of putrefaction, to recover a ring on one of its legs.

The Avocet nest (at Salthouse) depicted was, unfortunately, predated before protection could be arranged.

A Green Sandpiper ‘singing’ at Gramboro’, around midday, was most welcome.

As was the pair of Turtle Doves, near Wells, on the way to the Rose-coloured Starling. (They derive their nickname, ‘Pink Stink’, from the unpleasant odour of their huge colonies.)

I finished with my now daily dose of Roller.

Norfolk has become positively kaleidoscopic.

Nicely done, John.
I am currently hoping 'my' avocets are more successful than your depicted, we'll have to wait and see. I know they were disturbed yesterday...

I'd forgotten how good these Starlings look, wish I'd gone up today, hopefully it will still be there after work tomorrow!

PS are you still working, John?

Rose-coloured Starling this evening, who only showed once on the feeder and once as it flew to roost. Certainly not showy this evening as it was during the day. Work gets in the way! Awesome bird.

Roller taken on Sunday.

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

P.S. Fabulous Roller pictures from Peter and cracking Rose-coloured Starling pictures from John. Some very colourful birds this week, what's next I wonder?!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1873 crop.jpg
    IMG_1873 crop.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1942 crop.jpg
    IMG_1942 crop.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 140
That Rose-coloured Starling is a stunning looking bird. I might almost be tempted to twitch that one - almost but not quite. Some superb photos of it here tonight. :t:

Ron

Last edited:
Rose (bit feminine for a male..) continues to show well.
No climing up the walls waiting for this one....

Attachments

• rosy starling 3.jpg
    rosy starling 3.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 134
Titchwell June 20th

Today’s highlights

Little gull – 10 1st summer on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 2 on fresh marsh
Avocet – 104 on fresh marsh
Med gull – 1 on fresh marsh
Knot – 500 roosting
Little ringed plover 2 on fresh marsh

Paul

Today’s highlights

Little gull – 10 1st summer on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 2 on fresh marsh
Avocet – 104 on fresh marsh
Med gull – 1 on fresh marsh
Knot – 500 roosting
Little ringed plover 2 on fresh marsh

Paul

Hi Paul,
Do you know if the Spotted Redshanks are showing close to the hides/main footpath? Thinking for photo purposes.
Thanks.

Belated news from a few weeks ago now, but last night some friends showed me a photo of a Hoopoe on their drive in Saxlingham Nethergate on 2nd May - obviously the sort of bird I would just love to see myself in this area, so its a shame that one got away. I haven't heard of any other Hoopoes in Norfolk so far this year although I was away for two weeks during May and missed out on all the local bird news. Can anyone tell me if there have been any others around and whether they were twitchable or not? Many Thanks. Steve.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back