• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 BTP ? (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
I have a question for those with experience with the Zeiss.

I found one with green armor, on an otherwise black model, that
I am familiar with.

Was this an option, or what do you know about this ?

Jerry

I have a question for those with experience with the Zeiss.

I found one with green armor, on an otherwise black model, that
I am familiar with.

Was this an option, or what do you know about this ?

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Never heard of this one. Zeiss wasn't averse to colours: there was a brown leatherette 8x30 Dialyt and the green armoured 8x30 'Safari' individual focus model and also the light grey 6x42 Skipper. Have you seen this one in the flesh? Some photos of black models can look green.

Lee

Here is a picture of the green 10x40 BT*P.

Jerry

With that lighting, I can't tell that they aren't black. Don't want a repeat of the dress color controversy, but the red dominated background makes everything neutral seem greenish/bluish, and the black armor of the BGATP can develop a chalky patina.

--AP

This binocular was offered for sale on the famous auction site.
Shortly after this post, it was sold.

I suppose the mention could have helped the seller. ;)

Jerry

It seemed green rubber to me as there were black highlights elsewhere.
It could be that green was an option or a replacement if wanted.

Last edited:
This binocular was offered for sale on the famous auction site.
Shortly after this post, it was sold.

I suppose the mention could have helped the seller. ;)

Jerry

Hi Jerry, I had a Zeiss 10X40 classic (black color) about 10 years ago back when I lived in Toronto. If you have other top-quality binoculars you don't need these. The optics is good and they sits flat on your chest when walking. But, the eye caps are very stiff rubber and you most likely need to fold them to use the binoculars (felt like had a short eye relief). Another problem (like a Nikon HG 10X40 I had) was that they required a lot of refocusing (shallow depth of field).

I used to have an olive green Zeiss 8X30 Safari and the copycat Nikon 8X30 Safari. Both were excellent size and excellent rugged mechanics but POOR optical quality. I don't know why?

Hi Jerry, I think the rubber armor is black and it's just the way the bright natural light makes the armor appear grey / green. The metal parts are coated in multiple layers of dark black lacquer that contrast with the armor, the contrast of the armor and lacquer becomes more apparent in bright, natural lighting.

Furthermore, I have Zeiss Classic / Dialyt literature dating back to the early 1980's and there is no mention of green 10x40 or 8x30's. Except for the Zeiss Safari 8x30.

Best Regards.

Hi Omid,

A friend still have a Zeiss Safari binocular. Very poor optically. The main reason is the lack of phase coating of the Pechan prism.

PHA

I remember back in the 70s early 80s the Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 was the binocular many bird watchers wanted. Including me. But no way could I come up with that kind of money back then.{ £300+ }There is no question that today's Binoculars are superior to the Dialyt. But it gives me great pleasure to hang a pair round my neck just because now I can. And to me still demands respect as a Zeiss icon.

I remember back in the 70s early 80s the Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 was the binocular many bird watchers wanted. Including me. But no way could I come up with that kind of money back then.{ £300+ }There is no question that today's Binoculars are superior to the Dialyt. But it gives me great pleasure to hang a pair round my neck just because now I can. And to me still demands respect as a Zeiss icon.

Both the Dialyts and the Leica Trinovids of that era deserve immense respect.

Lee

I own the safari and still use it regularly. The optics are lacking but they are very useful for hunting. They suppress glare very well and are quite sharp. They only weigh 21 oz with both covers, and their armor is the thickest that I have come across which makes them easy to hold in extreme cold.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back