• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve Portugal (1 Viewer)

ColinRB

Hi, I am planning a trip to Portugal in February and wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a good hotel near birdwatching areas and suggested places to visit? I am considering Sagres or Lagos. We are retired so prefer quieter hotels. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Colin

Hi Colin. I went to Tavira in the eastern Algarve last year and can recommend O Castelo Hotel - very clean, reasonable prices and nice staff,good breakfast and very central in the lovely town. Loads of good places to eat at very reasonable prices. There are numerous good sites especially the wetlands just N of Vila Real at the eastern limit of the Algarve. Also good watching possible all along the coast eastwards from Faro in the coastal lagoons and numerous salt workings. Rail runs all along the coast, is cheap (discounts for us oldies) and fairly regularbut buses can be a bit of a yawn. Hire cars from Faro airport start at around £5/day. I'm no expert birder by any means but loved it and am going back in April. Good luck and enjoy

There is Gonçalo Elias’s in progress series of booklets, there is a spiral bound book produced by the Algarve Tourist organisation and a few more.

David

Hi Colin. I went to Tavira in the eastern Algarve last year and can recommend O Castelo Hotel - very clean, reasonable prices and nice staff,good breakfast and very central in the lovely town. Loads of good places to eat at very reasonable prices. There are numerous good sites especially the wetlands just N of Vila Real at the eastern limit of the Algarve. Also good watching possible all along the coast eastwards from Faro in the coastal lagoons and numerous salt workings. Rail runs all along the coast, is cheap (discounts for us oldies) and fairly regularbut buses can be a bit of a yawn. Hire cars from Faro airport start at around £5/day. I'm no expert birder by any means but loved it and am going back in April. Good luck and enjoy

Nice place Tavira.
If you look just further east Cabanas has some decent hotels and villas. Even further east is Robinsons which is a decent German owned hotel with food to die for. It is in the Ria Formosa National Park with some decent birdwatching and tracks to Cabanas or west along the coast. Not over developed and a place I'd go back to.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back