• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CANON 12x36 IS (1 Viewer)

mdb2

Hi all, I finally took the plunge and purchased these, which I received yesterday, my initial review is very positive as to quality. I used them last evening in the garden which is about 100-110 foot viewing goldfinches and yellowhammers and was well pleased. my main gripe is the lack of covers for the exit glass although the bag is excellent I feel the lack of caps is really really mean of canon. The covers supplied for the other end ( eye glass) has individual caps which are easily mislaid as they are individual. Please can anyone who has or had this model give me some advice on rectifying the problem. Overall nice product which is slightly marred by the accessories. CANON please take note:- Kind regards. Mike

my main gripe is the lack of covers for the exit glass although the bag is excellent I feel the lack of caps is really really mean of canon. The covers supplied for the other end ( eye glass) has individual caps which are easily mislaid as they are individual.
Hello, mdb2! I have canon 10x30is and it also has no lens caps. But i found the solution, i purchased the 37 mm digital camera lens caps from ebay, which cost about 2$. You should measure the inner diameter of your binocular objective lens (in my case it was exactly 37 mm) and find proper lens caps. |;|

Hello, mdb2! I have canon 10x30is and it also has no lens caps. But i found the solution, i purchased the 37 mm digital camera lens caps from ebay, which cost about 2$. You should measure the inner diameter of your binocular objective lens (in my case it was exactly 37 mm) and find proper lens caps. |;|

Thankyou Galaxym will do. Regards mike

Hello,
Worth the 12x36 model II on the 10x30 IS model, assessing the weight, size, 2X more, and more .. 6mm and almost double the price?

The 12x36s went through a redesign, so they may be somewhat improved from the initial offering.
That said, they are not waterproof either, merely water resistant, so it is not a compelling option given the price.
Still, the customer reviews on Amazon are very favorable indeed.

The difference in price is about 250 Euro. Given the fact that the only construction difference of these two are the two objectives, IMO the price increase Canon is asking for the 12x36, is a little bit too high. On the other hand if I use IS bins I just want as much magnification as possible. Also, thanks to the larger housing with longer lens tubes, the 12x36 fits better in my hands. If there is something like a weight-to-handheld-detail-resolution-ratio, the 12x36 Canon IS wins.

Steve

P.S. BTW, actually most manufacturers do ask for more money for their model with higher magnification than for its lower magnification counterpart. I'm pretty sure that, given the lenses are of the same size, the production costs are roughly the same with for example, an 8x42 and a 10x42 LeicaNikonSwaroZeiss.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back