• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The ideal IS bino design? (1 Viewer)

Patudo

sub-200 birding aspirant
United Kingdom
Posting this here because Canon is the main IS bino manufacturer and probably the most likely to introduce new models...

I've been wondering if you could design an IS binocular for birding, what format it would be, and what features would it have? I've tried the Canon 18x50 (briefly) and given the 10x42 IS-L two sessions (about 30min and about 20min) at the 2019 Birdfair. The IS feature really impresses me, especially in difficult situations, but the 10x42 is larger and heavier than I'd like. I can live with something that size for certain situations, but there are plenty of times I would prefer a lighter/handier binocular (which is partly why I don't own one myself).

Looking at the rest of the Canon range, Canon seems to go for higher magnification for objective size than most typical binoculars - probably working on the assumption that IS offsets the shake from higher magnification/the fiddlyness of the smaller exit pupil. I haven't tried the 12x36 or smaller objective sizes (8x20, 10x30) but from what I gather the IS increases the size of these binoculars such that the 8x20 is more like the size of a typical 8x30. The 10x42 is a pretty hefty unit and probably comparable to many 10x50s in size/bulk. The 12x36 looks like it might be comparable to a conventional x42 binocular - can any users chime in?

I was thinking that a binocular along these lines could be pretty interesting:

• 12x36 body/form factor (smaller and appears more ergonomic than the 10x42 IS-L)
  • 10x magnification
  • optical quality equal to the 10x42 IS-L (which I felt was just below alpha class - more comparable to the Conquest HD class, which are great binoculars in their own right)
  • ideally fully waterproof/sealed, although splash/rainproof is acceptable
  • twist eyecups, although rubber eyecups are acceptable
  • state of the art IS and battery for best performance/longest endurance
  • ideally a longer warranty period on the electronics and/or being less expensive to service if faults arise

You would then have something about the size of a conventional largish 10x42 but with IS. I can't say I would rush out immediately and get one, but I'd have to consider it a lot more seriously than the 10x42 IS-L - which is a device with some remarkable and unique qualities that, unfortunately, in most of the situations I use a binocular are outweighed (literally) by its size and bulk. I wonder to what extent a 10x42 IS-L replacement (if and when it happens) will be along these lines?

A smaller (say 8x30) and larger (say 12x42) format would also be really interesting. They would go against Canon's preference for high magnification for a given objective size but it's worth noting that their premier model (10x42 IS-L) is a pretty conventional format, and even Canon acknowledge in their blurb for the 10x42 IS-L that the 4.2mm exit pupil has value. 10x works better for me for a lot of the observation I do, though. I've considered the 12x36, especially after yarrelli's praise for it, and will try it the next chance I get, but the 87.5m field of view sounds as though it would be very confining. I've learned to live with the 105m of my 10x42 SE but would really like more - at least the old standard of 110m for a 10x40, like the 10x40 Dialyt had.

What would the ideal IS binocular format/design for your situation be?

I can settle with under 2.2 pounds IS binocular, good or high quality optics for birdwatching (but not premium, nor almost premium), with 5 degree stabilization freedom.

The battery can be changed if to small with one already charged.
The warranty for non-optical parts seems max. 3 years everywhere, I do think it will be easy or cheap to offer more.
This is not an ideal IS binocular, but a step to one.
If the price is in the range of today Cannon IS binoculars, I will buy it without any hesitation.

Last edited:
Posting this here because Canon is the main IS bino manufacturer and probably the most likely to introduce new models...

I've been wondering if you could design an IS binocular for birding, what format it would be, and what features would it have? I've tried the Canon 18x50 (briefly) and given the 10x42 IS-L two sessions (about 30min and about 20min) at the 2019 Birdfair. The IS feature really impresses me, especially in difficult situations, but the 10x42 is larger and heavier than I'd like. I can live with something that size for certain situations, but there are plenty of times I would prefer a lighter/handier binocular (which is partly why I don't own one myself).

Looking at the rest of the Canon range, Canon seems to go for higher magnification for objective size than most typical binoculars - probably working on the assumption that IS offsets the shake from higher magnification/the fiddlyness of the smaller exit pupil. I haven't tried the 12x36 or smaller objective sizes (8x20, 10x30) but from what I gather the IS increases the size of these binoculars such that the 8x20 is more like the size of a typical 8x30. The 10x42 is a pretty hefty unit and probably comparable to many 10x50s in size/bulk. The 12x36 looks like it might be comparable to a conventional x42 binocular - can any users chime in?

I was thinking that a binocular along these lines could be pretty interesting:

• 12x36 body/form factor (smaller and appears more ergonomic than the 10x42 IS-L)
  • 10x magnification
  • optical quality equal to the 10x42 IS-L (which I felt was just below alpha class - more comparable to the Conquest HD class, which are great binoculars in their own right)
  • ideally fully waterproof/sealed, although splash/rainproof is acceptable
  • twist eyecups, although rubber eyecups are acceptable
  • state of the art IS and battery for best performance/longest endurance
  • ideally a longer warranty period on the electronics and/or being less expensive to service if faults arise

You would then have something about the size of a conventional largish 10x42 but with IS. I can't say I would rush out immediately and get one, but I'd have to consider it a lot more seriously than the 10x42 IS-L - which is a device with some remarkable and unique qualities that, unfortunately, in most of the situations I use a binocular are outweighed (literally) by its size and bulk. I wonder to what extent a 10x42 IS-L replacement (if and when it happens) will be along these lines?

A smaller (say 8x30) and larger (say 12x42) format would also be really interesting. They would go against Canon's preference for high magnification for a given objective size but it's worth noting that their premier model (10x42 IS-L) is a pretty conventional format, and even Canon acknowledge in their blurb for the 10x42 IS-L that the 4.2mm exit pupil has value. 10x works better for me for a lot of the observation I do, though. I've considered the 12x36, especially after yarrelli's praise for it, and will try it the next chance I get, but the 87.5m field of view sounds as though it would be very confining. I've learned to live with the 105m of my 10x42 SE but would really like more - at least the old standard of 110m for a 10x40, like the 10x40 Dialyt had.

Nikon offers an IS glass in 10x25 format which is similar in appearance to the conventional roof prism designs.
It is optically good, very light and handy, only weaknesses are that it is not waterproof and that the IS must be turned on to see through both lenses.
See: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Nikon...d&qid=1657503221&sprefix=,aps,106&sr=8-1&th=1
Also, it is only sold in Japan, so you need to use a shopping service such as Tenso ( Forwarding service connecting overseas customers and Japanese online stores [tenso.com] )
Costs about 70,000 Yen, around $550 at current exchange rates.

Nikon offers an IS glass in 10x25 format which is similar in appearance to the conventional roof prism designs.
It is optically good, very light and handy, only weaknesses are that it is not waterproof and that the IS must be turned on to see through both lenses.

What about warranty when acquired in Japan? Zero years warranty for Canada and USA?

Last edited:
What about warranty when acquired in Japan? Zero years warranty for Canada and USA?
I don't know, but suspect it would need to be sent back to Japan for processing. Tenso provides a local shipping address, so that would be the basis for the Japan warranty.

Separately, the weak global ratings probably mostly reflect the inconvenience that the IS must be turned on for the glass to be a binocular, rather than a 10x25 monocular. It definitely takes getting used to. It works well as a fair weather glass in decent light, but is certainly not a night glass.
To me, the main feature is that it is a lightweight and compact IS glass with decent optics, something for the OP to consider.

@Patudo

This year I bought the 12x36 iii, 18x50 and 10x42L. I am a convert to IS FF bins.

The 12x36 is a really good light bin.
Optically it and the 18x50, are not quite as good as the 10x42L. However, because of IS, my opinion is that the image is better than non-IS 'shaking' bins, no matter how good their optics are. Also, because of the flat field clear image to the edge and x12 stable magnification you get a very effective device for actually seeing detail.

I have many other bins, but after using the 'magic button', they lack something when I now use them.

Flat field is also now a desire of mine...... Outer field distortion is now more noticeable, after using all of the FF Canons.

Roger Vine has a good review of the 12x36 iii.

Many pick holes in the Canon bins .... And maybe other manufacturers will bring better alternative IS bins in the future, such as Fuji......but until then, I am happy with the route chosen, instead of more costly non-IS bins and "degraded shakey" images.

The Fujinon Techno-Stabi TSX 14x40 is generally considered the stabilized binocular to beat.

Very heavy, unfortunately.

Last edited:
What did he convert from, mid grade IS from mid grade none IS? 🤣
Not sure your point?

I am satisfied that my 'mid grade IS bins' (Canon 12x36iii, 10x42L, 18x50) give me the best resolution against any handheld top line bins available.

And my 'mid grade non-IS bins' give me sufficient optical quality for a non-IS device.

In the future, maybe vastly better products will become available..... until then, we each make our choices.

I have been a long time user of the Canon line of IS bins.I have had the original 10x30, the 18x50 and the 12x36 II and III.

I travel extensively, but also use them at home for ocean viewing.

The IS got better over the years. The 12x36 III is my favorite. Lightweight and the Incredible IS is almost like a tripod. And the glass is very good. My only issue with it is that the close focus simply isn’t. It’s ridiculously far. As far as the lack of weather protection it hasn’t been an issue for me. I also have had the problem of the “sticky cover” on a pair of 12 X 36 IIs and had to give up on them. No problem with the IIIs though.

I also have been a fan of the Leica little compacts. So when I travel I also carry a pair of Leica 8x20 Ultravids, extremely small but excellent glass, close focusing and weather proof. And at 8X it is fine without IS. This little team of bins works for me. The 8X for scanning, and the 12x for excellent results at distance. And if the weather is a problem, I can just use the little Leicas.

Brand loyalty is fine as far as it goes, but everyone for their own choice.

For me, they'd need to be virtually identical to non-electronic binoculars in appearance, size, form, balance, durability, waterproofing and smoothly transition into manual mode when the battery dies. If they could also add in low-light image boosting capability, well then I'd be very interested indeed!

I am satisfied that my 'mid grade IS bins' (Canon 12x36iii, 10x42L, 18x50) give me the best resolution against any handheld top line bins available.

The 10x42L IS is not mid-grade, it is top of the line as the L designation implies. Many here consider it an Alpha.

To answer your original question, the Kite APC 16x42 is very light at 735g (vs 1110g for the 10x42L), unfortunately its lack of ED glass let’s it down optically.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back