• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The ideal IS bino design? (1 Viewer)

So I’m being being condescending because of my opinion of a binocular? Does that mean every post you made is condescending? Herman didn’t call me arrogant because of that, he called me arrogant because I was being arrogant. You are just downright obnoxious.
Have you got your Canon L yet? Cause, if you like it, all will be forgiven.😂

I hope to soon have the Fujinon TSX1440. I am fairly convinced (thus far, owning a Canon 12x32 with its inferior stabilization and presumably inferior optics) of the potential. The Canon is ultimately superior to any non-IS bin I own in terms of detail it can reveal. Even the NL 10x42 cannot compete. However it's not as pleasant to use (ergonomics are middle of the road except for the eye cups which are terrible, and the CA and general view is quite good but nothing that really wows). I think the Fujinon will be the best expedition / pelagic binocular possible (except for tiny boats that rock wildly).

In terms of a dream binocular? Basically anything in the 8-12x range, with competitive alpha level optics (65-ish deg AFOV, fairly flat field, excellent CA control / contrast, etc), Fujinon quality IS or better, a reasonable form factor (electronics have come a long way since the 10x42L), good eye cups, weather sealed, and a replaceable battery that can be charged in-unit via USB-C. None of this seems a stretch of the imagination. The optical parameters are available in many alpha level bins. The electronics get smaller and lighter in every generation of Canon/Sony/Nikon lenses. Cel phones are waterproof and yet not terribly difficult to charge.

I do think at some point an IS bin like this will finally come along and it will be something of a game changer. No one is using non-IS telephoto lenses any more, so it surprises me a bit that there has been so little advancement in IS bins. Of course many will prefer a simpler/lighter/non-electronic device, this being an argument that doesn't apply to cameras which are already electronic so adding IS to the lens isn't adding electronics. However if you could have the equivalent of an SF or NL that weighed perhaps 300g more, had a bulkier mid body, but had 5 degree IS... oooh la la.

Current best regarding ergonomic's, weight stabilisation and battery life seem to be the kites. Optics slightly sub par although I didn't give them all a thorough test, just first impressions. I don't know who did the ergo design of the cannon but they certainly aren't designed primarily for human beings to use comfortably out of the box, unless the bloke that designed them has a perfectly flat face with no nose, in which case they probably fit him quite well.

On a more practical note I think something i.s would be useful in most birders kit bags. Wouldn't mind a 16x mono with decent optics for size/weight purposes seeing as i almost always carry bins and a small (ish) scope already.

Have you got your Canon L yet? Cause, if you like it, all will be forgiven.😂
Hi James,

Yes, I have them. If I don’t like them I’m not forgiven? Thats not very Christian 😜. Just kidding of course.

Odd opening a box of binoculars and seeing a set of batteries 😲

Pretty glass! Going to play around with them tomorrow. See what I think, and if I like them I’ll put a small group together with a bunch of non-IS and have some evaluations over a week or so.

Paul

Attachments

• A34AC845-1E88-46F5-8CCA-AC1C2EDEB0C3.jpeg
    A34AC845-1E88-46F5-8CCA-AC1C2EDEB0C3.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 134CB254-ECA8-4550-B9B0-4121294D2D83.jpeg
    134CB254-ECA8-4550-B9B0-4121294D2D83.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 6FDDB92C-FE10-46A8-9FF9-4E3B3D17E8BD.jpeg
    6FDDB92C-FE10-46A8-9FF9-4E3B3D17E8BD.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 25
  • CB4400C5-F46F-4083-AB22-1B588891537D.jpeg
    CB4400C5-F46F-4083-AB22-1B588891537D.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 602BF5E8-71E7-4E74-9BFF-C78A2320291E.jpeg
    602BF5E8-71E7-4E74-9BFF-C78A2320291E.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 26
There is one 16x28 IS mono, Bresser?
I did see that and actually had a glance through opticrons mono version (10x30) at the weekend not too bad but I think higher magnifications is where i.s gives the most tangible benefits. I'm not quite ready for i.s yet personally. As mentioned in another thread it's mainly due to the resale values and warranties, I'm not super minted enough for these not to be a consideration!

Last edited:
Hi James,

Yes, I have them. If I don’t like them I’m not forgiven? Thats not very Christian 😜. Just kidding of course.

Pretty glass! Going to play around with them tomorrow. See what I think, and if I like them I’ll put a small group together with a bunch of non-IS and have some evaluations over a week or so.

Paul
Looking forward to hearing what you think Paul. I was sorely tempted by I.s.

Hi James,

Paul
I’m more interested in your opinions on the image quality compared to your other glass, IS disregarded.

Hi James,

Paul
Hi Paul,

Congrats on your new Canons, I think you will love them despite their deficiencies in ergonomics.
Just please ditch the included batteries and switch to lithium AAs.
Those never leak, work great even in cold weather and they die abruptly, rather than lingering in an operatic fashion.

Hi Paul,

Congrats on your new Canons, I think you will love them despite their deficiencies in ergonomics.
Just please ditch the included batteries and switch to lithium AAs.
Those never leak, work great even in cold weather and they die abruptly, rather than lingering in an operatic fashion.
Thx James
The lithium ultras are already in there.

Can someone share some knowledge about the image stabilization range and correction angle (if this is different) and what are the differences and benefits of these numbers. For example the fuginon 14x40 list a 6° Stabilization range and the Canon IS L list a correction angle of 0.8° .

Thank you

Can someone share some knowledge about the image stabilization range and correction angle (if this is different) and what are the differences and benefits of these numbers. For example the fuginon 14x40 list a 6° Stabilization range and the Canon IS L list a correction angle of 0.8° .

Thank you
The Canon correction angle is aimed at the natural jitter, nature is never at rest, just keeps tacking to try to get the best result.
So a hand held glass will jump around the aim point several times a second. The Canon IS is fast enough to correct that little less than 1* deviation.
Fujinon by contrast sought to eliminate the heave and sway of a moving ship, so they correct for a much wider swing, about 5* afaik, but I don't know how fast they adjust.
For my sedate birding style, either walking or riding on a boat in calm seas, the Canon works splendidly well.
I'd love to hear others experiences with IS glass in more challenging situations though.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back