• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eye relief Zeiss Conquest Compacts (1 Viewer)

savwaves

I need a pair of 8x or 10x compacts, but I won't be able to get to a shop to try them.

The Zeiss Conquest 8x20 look the right price and a perfect size, but the rubber eye cups look pathetic.

Has anybody with experience of these bins had any problems with the eye relief?? Good / bad??

I don't ever wear glasses.

I have tried the Victory 10x25 and I used to own Ultravid 10x25 (both excellent), I know I can't expect the same quality, but eye relief is one of the major factors for my enjoyable use of optics.

Any info would be appreciated!

The eye relief of 15mm is marginal for use with glasses but is absolutely no problem without.
That said, the viewing comfort of compact bins cannot be compared to that of full-size bins with exit pupils in excess of 4mm.
Rubber eyecups can really be quite comfortable (physically), it's just that they are slow to change from use with and without glasses and will eventually suffer from repeated folding.

John

Thanks for the information John. These are to be a second binocular for walking the dog and cycling etc., so not needed for prolonged 'comfort' viewing. With me having no need to fold the eyecups down, the Zeiss are looking very attractive.

I found myself wishing the eyecups were a bit bigger. I find most manufacturers dont give enough eyecup for the relief they provide so I now modify them to be longer. I made them wider too because my main problem was my eyelash was filling up the small 20mm cup.

They even close all the way and now the view is perfect except like larger binoculars I occasionally get some backside flare but I'm working on a solution for that too.

Last edited:
I have the Zeiss Victory 8x20 and absolutely love them. They are in my briefcase and with me at all times. Very portable for travel and at football games when people borrow them, they comment that they are like HDTV bins compared to other bins. Eye relief sucks but I just remove my glasses, none of the compacts I have tried have adequate ER. For the money your use per cost ratio will be above any other pair. In the daylight they can really stand-up to larger bins, but as expected suffer when the light gets low.

Eye relief sucks but I just remove my glasses, none of the compacts I have tried have adequate ER

I have no problems with ER on the Zeiss Victory. It has plenty of ER for me.

What prescription and type of glasses do you use?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back