• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Habitat birding (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
So .... Many people go to sites such as Padre Island in Texas.. And it is on a migratory path... So many birds essentially 'fall' out of the sky in their fall/spring migration. That is natural. Many people 'bird' these locations which is also ok.

But is there a bird movement or group that base their 'bird counts' on finding birds in their natural habitat which is not part of the migratory path associated with that species? It would be more difficult n more of a challenge finding birds outside of migratory times and it might also mean birding outside of ones own country.....

I've never heard of anybody or any group that focuses their efforts solely on finding birds on their breeding grounds. However, for myself, I do get some extra joy at getting to see a species on its breeding grounds after years of only seeing it on migration/winter.

well, the Audubon Christmas Counts aren't during migration periods. While certainly most popular in the US, they are getting more and more popular abroad, especially in Central and South America.

If I understand your question correctly, I would think that they would serve as counts not during migrations.

well, the Audubon Christmas Counts aren't during migration periods. While certainly most popular in the US, they are getting more and more popular abroad, especially in Central and South America.

If I understand your question correctly, I would think that they would serve as counts not during migrations.

You are right..... Christmas Bird Counts..... I am also thinking about Lifers.... I would like to distinguish my life list so it is separated as such too. Not that i am against migratory times n birds falling out of skies, but there is a difference in my eyes....

There is also the breeding bird census in the US. Patch birding is all about birding local habitats. Actually most birders spend most of their time birding local habitats, its just that fall-outs get talked about. Most travel for birding is directed at birding somebody else's local habitat. That's what all the Birding (insert state here) guides are about.

Will

I am much more interested in seeing birds in habitat where they occur naturally, whether it is for breeding, wintering or on migration. Of course, that involves me travelling, rather than waiting for birds to get lost and turn up here. Thus, I saw my first great (white) egret in the Ebro Delta and didn't bother to go and see one that got lost and turned up about 2km from my home here. I was working at the time and preferred (still prefer) to spend my birdwatching time on Manx specialities, one especially (the chough). I suppose a cynic might say that I was being the ultimate twitcher, not being interested in a species one I have it on my "list" but, no, I have enjoyed more sightings of great egrets in the Ebro Delta as they became more numerous there, as well as seeing them in Australia. That is just how I enjoy my interest in birds, but I'm not sure if we need to start a movement!

Same with me....if I see something lost in the area ....well, good and all fine etc.... but I would much rather see that bird in its natural habitat. That way I get to view how it lives, the ecosystem etc...and I feel I gain a better understanding of the bird by viewing it in its natural environment. On top of that, I feel my memories of that bird are more deeper.

We should have a bird list of what is found in one's country and when people do bird counts, big years etc....be able to find those birds in their breeding/winter habitats and not just go to one location where they fall from the sky.

I once (15 years ago or so?) read that in Sweden some people keep a “breeding bird list”, where they need to see a bird in its breeding habitat.
The majority of birds in the world never move away from their breeding sites, so seeing them involves getting there anyway.
Although I've seen most of the American warblers on my list on their breeding grounds, I wouldn't mind catching up with them on the Texas coast!

I once (15 years ago or so?) read that in Sweden some people keep a “breeding bird list”, where they need to see a bird in its breeding habitat.
I assume as part of the bird breeding census. Which also started in Austria again as base for the next book about our breeding birds here.
On the other hand 25 years back I noted down every bird on my local spot (and surely a lot of breeding birds) for about 15 years until I changed my domicile.
The majority of birds in the world never move away from their breeding sites, so seeing them involves getting there anyway.[...]
I don´t know the majority of birds in our world but there´s a lot of changes here. Based e.g. on the change of the environment, weather etc. Fifteen years back I was happy to get a glimpse of a distant Wood Pigeon. Now they are breeding in the hole village, same with Song Thrushes. Right contrary with Bluethroaths, White Storks, Stonechats, Swallows, House Sparrows and other species.

Month listing...something I only came across in Finland...which can be a little starved of birds to see at certain times of the year...

McM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back