• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Admiral (1 Viewer)

coaltit

United Kingdom
It was not long after mid day I saw this butterflie flapping about just outside The front door under the guttering of my conservatory it settled just on the Guttering Itself I made a quick decision to get this butterflie in my conservatory after a period of settleing and flying around it eventually Settled On a small jet black fluffy toy where its been now for over a couple of hours It Has folded its antenna out of sight between its wings and I,m keeping my Fingers crossed it will hibernate the winter there, obviously disturbed from Hibernation earlier when I first saw it, it is the latest I have ever seen a butterflie never thought I would see one in december only in these Circumstances are you going to see one and if so I would have thought a Peacock butterflie, so quite chuffed with a red admiral I don,t ever Imagine Seeing a butterflie in january out of the question, being so mild its survived so Far I thought inside my conservatory it would not stand out to a predator like a Sparrow in flight as there is no other visible Insect life around at present and Don,t really expect there to be perhaps apart from winter midges which Occasionally appear at mild times. thou the red Admiral I,m sure would prefer a darker area to hibernate like behind tree bark or a Thick Hedge or garden shed its out of the elements but it needs to shut down Quickly for the winter as when temperatures drop they will where it is now So hopeing this beautiful butterflie can make the most of its second chance Of survival I have layed on for it fingers crossed..

Last edited:
Sadly, I disturbed a Comma today - in my bedroom as I was changing the curtain rail. I let it out, it flew strongly, so I hope it has found a new hibernation site.

I'm guessing your conservatory isn't heated?
Yes your right its not and I,m affraid this beautiful butterflie Succumbed to the cold conditions in there on the 4th of february in there try as It might it could not switch down in to proper hibernation, the sunlight through The glass made this butterflie active and this last week it was along the bottom Of the window frame streching its wings on tuesday 3rd february I knew from This the outcome from this was going to be sad and Indeed lieing almost on its Side in a container on the floor with water almost on it I moved it into a dryer Spot but the cold conditions were to much for this butterflie, If ever again I see Or find a butterflie outdoors during the winter months I won,t Interveen and Leave it how nature In tended however much I,m tempted to do so, Reminds Me when I heard for the first time as a youngster adults mentioning to leave young Birds alone chirping on the ground for their parents to look after even Thou I knew dangers existed like Cats etc all part of the natural cycle even thou cats are,nt.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back