• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who can clean out an old Zeiss 8x30B? (2 Viewers)

Hi Y'all,

I inherited an old (1960) Zeiss 8x30B Monocular that has leaked and is dirty inside.

It looks excellent on the outside, but when I shine a flashlight up the eyepiece it looks dirty inside.

I sent it to Zeiss to be cleaned out, however, they kept it for 5 months and then sent it back and said that they won't clean up any product that is over 30 years old.

Should I just throw it in the trash? Or is there some place I can send it that is not too expensive?

Thanks, Jas

Jas:

Welcome to Birdforum. One repairman that comes highly recommended is Cory Suddarth,
Suddarth Optical Repair. Do a search, he is in Oklahoma. He works on stuff like this everyday.

Good luck, I would start there.

Jerry

Hi,

I've had excellent results from Nicolas Crista HERE.

Let us know how it works out.

Ed

PS. Actually, he cleaned up my one and only monocular several years ago, ... a Zeiss 8x30B. Forgot about that. :t:

Last edited:
Hi, Either of the above mentioned are excellent by reputation, but any competent optical repair man should be able to do this with ease, it's not a difficult job, i'm amazed someone at zeiss didn't just do it, it would have taken little more time than writing the letter to say they won't do it took. If you were in the UK I would do it for nothing, but from the US I should think the postage cost's would be just as much as paying to have it done in the US would cost.

Last edited:
Hi, Either of the above mentioned are excellent by reputation, but any competent optical repair man should be able to do this with ease, it's not a difficult job, i'm amazed someone at zeiss didn't just do it, it would have taken little more time than writing the letter to say they won't do it took. If you were in the UK I would do it for nothing, but from the US I should think the postage cost's would be just as much as paying to have it done in the US would cost.

Hi Bencw,

Based on the fact that they kept it for 5 months before sending it back, I suspect that they have a backlog of warranty work and used the expired warranty as a excuse to get it out of their shop. They did not offer to do the work for a fee.

I have contacted the repair shops that were mentioned by the members here and some others.

So far, Suddarth has replied with a quote of $100 to refurbish my monocular. They seem to have a fine reputation. If no one undercuts them, they will get the job.

Last edited:
Hi Bencw,

Based on the fact that they kept it for 5 months before sending it back, I suspect that they have a backlog of warranty work and used the expired warranty as a excuse to get it out of their shop. They did not offer to do the work for a fee.
I have contacted the repair shops that were mentioned by the members here and some others.
So far, Suddarth has replied with a quote of $100 to refurbish my monocular. They seem to have a fine reputation. If no one undercuts them, they will get the job.

Hi Jas,

$100 sounds fairly reasonable, in the UK would likely be around £50 to £60 sterling to do such work. I would say worth refurbishing such a nice monocular, but whatever you do, don't throw it in the trash, it has sale value even in the condition it is in now. Hope it works out good.

Jas - The Zeiss 8x30 B monocular is a little jewel. However, do-it-yourselfers can easily botch up a job. The exterior of these almost without exception is pristine, but you noticed some degrading of the prisms, which reduces brightness. Many of these have passed through my hands over the years. Some I have cleaned up, and others I have left alone.

A kind of gassification internally appears to be the culprit. It does wipe clean, however. The seats are so precise that the prisms can be reset and stay aligned. The internal workmanship is superb - almost worth breaking into to see what Zeiss is all about.

Cody will do a good job for you.

John

Jas - The Zeiss 8x30 B monocular is a little jewel. However, do-it-yourselfers can easily botch up a job. The exterior of these almost without exception is pristine, but you noticed some degrading of the prisms, which reduces brightness. Many of these have passed through my hands over the years. Some I have cleaned up, and others I have left alone.

A kind of gassification internally appears to be the culprit. It does wipe clean, however. The seats are so precise that the prisms can be reset and stay aligned. The internal workmanship is superb - almost worth breaking into to see what Zeiss is all about.

Cody will do a good job for you.

John

Hi John,

A person named Art at Florida Camera and Binocular repair has offered to clean my monocular for $30. In the camera repair biz since 1967.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back