• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malaysian rail-babbler (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Having failed to see rail-babbler on two previous trips to Malaysia and one to Sumatra, I feel it is time to try again next year, during the UK summer. Can anyone give any tips? I know Bukit Rengit has been very good but I'm told months can go without them being seen.

I know Panti can be good, but I've failed there before and it wasn't a site my wife was too keen on our last visit. I'll be visiting Taman Negara anyway but having spent three weeks failing to see them there in the past, I'm not overly confident.

I saw it at TN but luck is needed, they call a bit like a Pitta so just have you ears open though, I'm not sure if it's a pitch that some might struggle to hear?

A

I've heard them before but my ears were 25 years younger then. I think I got pretty good at imitating the call but as I didn't mange to lure one in, maybe not.

Not sure if Borneo is in your plans, but we had one at Paya Maga in Sarawak last year, without much effort. A ton of other good birds here.

Taman Negara is an excellent place for Rail-babbler so I'd give that a go, I'm not sure I've been there without recording them.
Bukit Rengit - indeed, when showing it's insanely good, but then does have a habit of disappearing for prolonged periods of time. Mountain Peacock Pheasant site is another site where it's possible, as is Fraser's Hill.

Cheers

James

I've heard them before but my ears were 25 years younger then. I think I got pretty good at imitating the call but as I didn't mange to lure one in, maybe not.

I was wondering why I got so good at the call. On reading back through my notes, I found out that my tape snapped! Which probably didn't help my cause. That probably won't happen again but I may put the call on everyone in my family's phone.

Taman Negara is an excellent place for Rail-babbler so I'd give that a go, I'm not sure I've been there without recording them.
Bukit Rengit - indeed, when showing it's insanely good, but then does have a habit of disappearing for prolonged periods of time. Mountain Peacock Pheasant site is another site where it's possible, as is Fraser's Hill.

Cheers

James

James,
is this a call that ageing ears will struggle with, it's over 15 years since I heard one?

A

James,
is this a call that ageing ears will struggle with, it's over 15 years since I heard one?

A

Still heard one clearly last year at the MPP site (I'm 51!). It managed to get across the area without being seen, so clearly walked in a big loop. Pasoh was the place back in 1989 but its probably oil palms by now.

cheers, a

Still heard one clearly last year at the MPP site (I'm 51!). It managed to get across the area without being seen, so clearly walked in a big loop. Pasoh was the place back in 1989 but its probably oil palms by now.

cheers, a

I'm a bit older than you Alan (57) but it's amazing how much I've fallen apart in the last five years! I've only ever seen one and it was pure luck, it wasn't calling and it almost walked in front of me, head bobbing like a pigeon.

A

I'm a bit older than you Alan (57) but it's amazing how much I've fallen apart in the last five years! I've only ever seen one and it was pure luck, it wasn't calling and it almost walked in front of me, head bobbing like a pigeon.

A

Can no longer kick the light bulb, Andy??

For me it's still one of those calls that still gets the adrenaline kicking in, no matter how often I hear them.

I haven't witnessed anyone struggling to hear the call before, it's not too high a frequency. Bornean Stubtail is a different case entirely, however...

My ears aren't great but I had no trouble hearing one at Panti this May. I was able to whistle it in, as the call is quite easy to imitate. The Temple Trail was the place to look, and once you've worked out which side of the track the call is coming from (not easy as it has a ventriloquial effect), you won't have to venture very far in. The bird was never fully in the open but got close enough to be able to hear it clucking like a hen. One of my most thrilling birding moments, and worth the leech bites!

Steve, a suggestion I have, if your wife doesn't like the area, is to stay in the Kota Rainforest Resort hotel, which has good facilities and some decent birds, let her stay behind and either drive or take a taxi to Panti - it's about 20 km. I stayed in Kota Tinggi, but it's an unremarkable little town with little to see or do.

I had 2-3 birds in Panti Forest in July this year, with one bird close enough to the road, that I gave it a try. Walked 25 meters inside, found a good vantage point, whistled the call a few times, waited for response, and after a few minutes I caught a glimpse of the white eyebrow in the gloomy darkness on the forest floor. Next the bird walked along a fallen tree, found a nice open spot and began to call just 10 meters in front of me, inflating the blue airsacks (?). The show lasted about half a minute after which the bird just walked off again.....magic!

On my second day, I didn't hear a single call all morning.

An American birder I met a few day previously, had also been successful there, so it might be worth a try...if you can convince the wife of another visit ;-)

Jens

Perhaps a little bit off your planned visit, Bala NP Thailand. Saw one and heard perhaps four others in Feb 14. Nice wade across a river too.

Hi all,
as James says the rail-babbler is relatively common in TN, especially along the flatter sections of Jenet Muda. Unless one gets lucky and few do allow at least three days of confined and intense scrutiny. Alternatively a guide at Panti can be showing you one within 24 hours of leaving the UK. I have lost out many times especially the blues bit!

Hi all,
as James says the rail-babbler is relatively common in TN, especially along the flatter sections of Jenet Muda. Unless one gets lucky and few do allow at least three days of confined and intense scrutiny. Alternatively a guide at Panti can be showing you one within 24 hours of leaving the UK. I have lost out many times especially the blues bit!
Having spent three weeks at TN alone without seeing one - birding from dawn to dusk - I'll give it a week at least. I may well try Panti again as well. I'm keen to see it without a guide.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back