• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How about bushnell legacy Porro?-anyone tried them? (1 Viewer)

lvn600

Just looking at bushnell legacy Porro 8x42.
Close focus 12'-not bad, waterproof, Bak-4 glass, 430' fov,.-$70
-Has anyone tried these out?

for a little more money you might want to try Nikon Action EX. they would probably have a better image. some have said that porros in that range usually arent waterproof....Tero?

I love mine

Just looking at bushnell legacy Porro 8x42.
Close focus 12'-not bad, waterproof, Bak-4 glass, 430' fov,.-$70
-Has anyone tried these out?

Yes, I have some and their view is probably the best of the three I own (the other two being: Minox bv 10x42 br, and Pentax dcf sw 10x25). Not to knock the other two pairs; they're great. It´s just that I still prefer the view through these.

I noticed a person mentioned that "for a little more money, you might want to try the Nikon action ex...". I ask, why, on earth, would you want to pay more for less? The Nikon are inferior on almost every count: less eye-relief, less FOV, not as close a focus, heavier and, what´s most important, not fully multi-coated. However, if you doubt me, why don´t you try them for yourself. Go to a bricks and mortar shop and compare them.

The only drawback I can imagine to these binoculars is the price; their too cheap for anybody to trust them, or prejudice/bias.

How good are Bushnell Legacy WP 8x42 Binoculars?

Reviving this thread for more responses.

I cannot believe a porro this well spec'd and inexpensive (<$80 on Amazon) and so well warrantied can be good.

But I will defer to others here who have tried them.

Other than jotajota, is there anyone else who can provide a review of these and maybe compare them with other porros which are similar?

What about the Customer Service? How well do they stand behind their product?

Tantien,

I owned one of these many years ago. For the price they are a good choice. They have the expected porro clarity in the center of the field of view. I don't remember the sweet spot being particularly large and I have vague recollections of there being strong field curvature outside of the sweetspot and/or a strong color bias or poor light transmission. I can't remember which. I should have an opportunity to try one again this upcoming weekend. Hopefully I can offer more then.

Tantien,

I owned one of these many years ago. For the price they are a good choice. They have the expected porro clarity in the center of the field of view. I don't remember the sweet spot being particularly large and I have vague recollections of there being strong field curvature outside of the sweetspot and/or a strong color bias or poor light transmission. I can't remember which. I should have an opportunity to try one again this upcoming weekend. Hopefully I can offer more then.

Frank, did you ever try it?

Perterra,

Sadly, no. Bushnell wasn't represented at the Birding Symposium I was just at and neither of the two retailers present had any Bushnell products that I noticed.

Perterra,

Sadly, no. Bushnell wasn't represented at the Birding Symposium I was just at and neither of the two retailers present had any Bushnell products that I noticed.

Thanks Frank, SWFA has them for $68 and I was thinking it might make a good one to stash in my tent camper, trying to decide if I would rather just pick up something else like a legend ED for daily use and stick my old 13-2000 Natureviews in the camper, but I use the Natureviews more than anything I have. Cheap spec binocs but I like them.

Last edited:
I tried a pair locally and was pretty impressed. I ended up ordering one from Amazon which arrived today (10x50). They're already packed up for the return trip. Not only was the focus wheel so stiff it couldn't be turned easily much less fine tuned but the optics didn't seem nearly as good as the pair in the store (also 10x50). Lots of pin cushion and distracting edge focus which, to me, means too small a sweet spot. Either I didn't notice these issues in the store or there is a lot of sample variation.

I tried a pair locally and was pretty impressed. I ended up ordering one from Amazon which arrived today (10x50). They're already packed up for the return trip. Not only was the focus wheel so stiff it couldn't be turned easily much less fine tuned but the optics didn't seem nearly as good as the pair in the store (also 10x50). Lots of pin cushion and distracting edge focus which, to me, means too small a sweet spot. Either I didn't notice these issues in the store or there is a lot of sample variation.

focus wheel is a little stiff, but no more so than about any WP porro I tried.

Dont notice fuzzy edges, maybe they are there, I havent paid attention. With progressive lens glasses I look through the center and expect edges to be fuzzy.

8X42 is my choice so maybe the 10's have more pincushion

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back