• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Natura or Monarch M7? (1 Viewer)

Saraj85

Norway
Hello!

I am looking into upgrading from an old self-focusing Bushnell 8x32 (unsure what model it is) to a 8x42, after realising how much brighter and clearer I see with a Prostaff P7 8x42. I have been looking into the Monarch M7 and the Opticron Natura BGA ED; I am inclined to buy the latter, but as it's definitely more expensive, I wonder if the price difference (about 95£/100€) corresponds to a definite difference in quality.
Anyone who has tried both?

FWIW I have had brief access to an 8x40 Natura and was pretty impressed for the money, as with other Opticron models. I think that the Natura has ED glass elements in the objectives whereas the Prostaff hasn't - if that matters to you? Opticron also offer a 30 year guarantee on the Natura, which is a definite plus; Nikon just 1-year?

The only thing which niggled me was the noticeably smaller FOV than my Swaro 8x32ELs. No experience with the Nikon I'm afraid but I'm sure someone here will provide constructive input.

Edit: Sorry I misread your post in my haste. The Monarch 7 is a different beast than the Prostaff. Sound advice from others; compare for yourself if possible.

RB

Last edited:
It might be helpful to you to identify which factories the binoculars are coming out of. Because allegedly some models share the same point of origin. Then you can surmise whether you're paying for a different design or for a different label.

Hello!

I am looking into upgrading from an old self-focusing Bushnell 8x32 (unsure what model it is) to a 8x42, after realising how much brighter and clearer I see with a Prostaff P7 8x42. I have been looking into the Monarch M7 and the Opticron Natura BGA ED; I am inclined to buy the latter, but as it's definitely more expensive, I wonder if the price difference (about 95£/100€) corresponds to a definite difference in quality.
Anyone who has tried both?

Saraj85,

The standard question: Can you arrange to compare the Nikon Monarch 7 directly with the Opticron Natura? That would be the best way to determine which one to pick. The handling, ER, eye placement, focus function, size, shape and weight can all be just as important as the optical performance.

If not, either will be a significant step up from your Bushnell and the Prostaff. I own, have tried and like several Nikons and Opticrons. In my experience all have been "user friendly" and offer nice construction and optical performance for the money.

Mike

Definately best to test side by side. My personal preference is the Natura. Made in Japan and great quality optics. M7 is a good glass at that price point too. Really would be nice if Nikon came out with a M7+ in the 42 mm sizes as they have in the 30 mm size

Actually going to advise the M7 because it has a Much Wider fov. 435 feet to 366 in the Natura. If you compare side by side the difference will be astounding

Never tried the Naturas, but used the previous generation M7s exclusively for a few years. They are excellent for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back