• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x30mm Premier E2 Binoculars? (1 Viewer)

Sid Post

Okay, I have read many glowing reviews of these binoculars. I will not be using them in humid conditions so, lack of waterproofness is not an issue for me.

I wear glasses. Do these bincoulars have enough eye relief?

What is a comparable binocular from Swift? The new Equinox? Something else?

What I don't see is any comaprison to Pentax. I can get a Pentax DCF SP for about ~$50-70 more. I have heard many good things about them but, nothing really in the way of a review or comparison.

I only have money for one good set of binoculars. From what I have read, I have been swayed from 42mm models because of a perceived lack of benefit to offset the cost and weight issues with the large binoculars

Initially, I was impressed with the Canon 7x42 which are ~$190. I have read many good things about the Swift 8.5x44HHS binoculars. Swift has their new Equinox models on the market but, I really don't know much about them.

With a budget of under $400, I think the choice is really between Nikon E2's or Pentax DCF SP's. The Pentax DCF SP's certainly seem more durable for field use.

I want something that I can use to watch birds that will suffice at a sporting event (like looking at a 50 foot pistol target) or watching a sporting event in a large open field.

I have looked over Better View Desired and searched through this site a lot. Am I overlooking a good brand or model in the nominal 8 power with ~32mm objectives? Leica seems to be the best but, I do not believe they are available in my price range. The same holds true for all the European glass thanks to the "stong dollar" we have against the Euro.

Hello Sid,

I have found the Nikon 8x30EII to have slightly less than optimal eye relief for an eyeglass wearer, but because they have a very wide FOV, the loss of a small bit of the edge of the field is, to me, forgivable. You may feel differently, but these have become one of my all time favorite binoculars. I cannot address your query regarding similar glasses, however, as I haven't found any in this price range that are the equal of the EII. Other, more experienced birders may have additional suggestions. Best of luck to you.

Check out the Bushnell Custom 7 x 26 reverse porro's. According to the Cornell Center for Orthnithology they are the only "compact" type bin they recommend for birding. 16mm E.R. 368 feet FOV @ 1000 yds. $224.00 at Eagle Optics. eagleoptics.com. Optics are superb and they will fit into a large shirt pocket.

ceasar said:
Check out the Bushnell Custom 7 x 26 reverse porro's. According to the Cornell Center for Orthnithology they are the only "compact" type bin they recommend for birding. 16mm E.R. 368 feet FOV @ 1000 yds. $224.00 at Eagle Optics. eagleoptics.com. Optics are superb and they will fit into a large shirt pocket.

While the Custom Compact 7x26 is a great little glass; it's 7° FOV is a bit cramped by today's standards. Very sharp views and half the size of an EII, though. I've had mine for 34 years now.

The 8x30 EII has become my favorite daytime glass. The wide 8.8° FOV and extra magnification just blows away the little 7x26s, though. No contest, IMO.

Both glasses have enough ER for thin glasses with the eyecups rolled back, but it's easier to see the field stops in the 7x26s. The 8x30's wider view still shows more. Optically, the EII is a "best buy" without a doubt.

I've never tried the 8x32 SP but I do have the 10x43 model and it's a nice binocular both in build and optics. If it runs in the family, the little 8x glass should be very nice, with the plus of the waterproof/ shockproof package that the porros don't have. The 10x43 has the same 17mm eye relief as the 8x32, enough for glasses. The four position eyecups are clearly superior. Still not the wide FOV and "wow" factor of the EII though.

Are the EIIs in short supply yet? Get 'em while you can!

Good luck with your choice,

Rich V

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back