• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluebirds (1 Viewer)

Niteowl

Eastern Bluebirds are becoming active down here in coastal Noth Carolina. I see them in urban parks and in residential areas. They are probably looking for a nesting cavity already. They have to claim my box before the Carolina Chickadees can and then defend it against the Chickadees. Unfortunately, I am not at home now to monitor their activities.

Hi Niteowl: I'm also in coastal North Carolina. My bluebirds have returned also. Today I went out and bought mealworms for the first time. The Bluebirds were on the nexting box yesterday morning - the female fluttering her wings and inviting the male into the box. Keeping my fingers crossed they'll stay. Where are you in NC. I'm near Wilmington.

Hi NC Lady, I am in Wikmington right now. Will be here until April and then will return to my home in the Blue Ridge. Last year, I had Bluebirds up there for the first time. Not nearly as many as I see in the Willmington area. I think their numbers are increasing all over the state. Good luck on keeping yours around.

Hi,

My name is David and I live in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada.

I am interested in atracting bluedirds to my 10 acre orchard in near London Ontario.

The last time i seen a bluebird was about 1963-64 or so on Manitoba on my parents farm. That was pretty far up north at Pine River 100 kms north of Dauphin

They had a nest in a old fence post along the country road, the fence fence line was grown in with some brush and small trees. But then in 1965 or 66 they rebuilt the road and tore the old fence down and widened the road and I have never seen a bluebird since. I have since moved to Cambridge, Ontario 1 hr west of Toronto.

I understand that that there is a bluebird restoration project in the Toronto Rouge Valley conservation area. But I searched "bluebirds" and olny this site came up so here I am..

I want to know if anyone can tell me how to attract bluebirds to my little orchard.

I need all details, types of houses, etc. I don't know anything about birding, and about to learn.

I look forward to all information.

To the moderator and webmaster.....
I also find this site cumbersome to get around and not straight forward user friendly, it sure could be much easier. I am not that computer literate yet.
David

This is subject, that if I get started, you'd be reading a novel....
How wonderful for you to want to research and restore you bluebird populations.
There is tons of help,
The is the National Blue Bird society that is in the states, they have a web site
www.nabluebirdsociety.org
there are a bunch of links there and here
at the
www.bluebirdnut.com
just to get you started.
In Canada, you have a cool site
http://www.cws-scf.ec.gc.ca/birds/news/bt98/ins10_e.cfm
clicking on any of these links will give you plenty of reading material and information for you to absorb
Have fun...never is there such a bird so willing to let you help it!
shelley

help on blue birds

shelley810 said:
This is subject, that if I get started, you'd be reading a novel....
How wonderful for you to want to research and restore you bluebird populations.
There is tons of help,
The is the National Blue Bird society that is in the states, they have a web site
www.nabluebirdsociety.org
there are a bunch of links there and here
at the
www.bluebirdnut.com
just to get you started.
In Canada, you have a cool site
http://www.cws-scf.ec.gc.ca/birds/news/bt98/ins10_e.cfm
clicking on any of these links will give you plenty of reading material and information for you to absorb
Have fun...never is there such a bird so willing to let you help it!
shelley

Dear Shelly,

Thank you very much for your suggestions, it is much apreciated.

But I can see now is that it takes some diligent management, which at this time, I cannot devote to them. Too bad. I have always had a longing to see blue birds again, but they will have to wait for another year.

I am just geting that farm going this year, and there is hardly enough time in a day to do the farm work. I did think that it would consisted of just putting up a house. But I sure plan to do it ASAP. Or if I can get some help that is interested in doing it. As at this time I live an hour and some from the farm.

I just checked the Canadian site and found the Blue bird society in Kitchener, which is part of our tri city group of Cambridge, Kitchener, and Waterloo.

I called the number but it was wrong.

If you are savy around these sites and can find a valid number for them I sure would appreciate it. Maybe i can find some real hard core blue bird enthusiast in the area and maybe he or she will be glad to do the management of them for me.

David Pelly

David M. Pelly said:
Dear Shelly,

Thank you very much for your suggestions, it is much apreciated.

But I can see now is that it takes some diligent management, which at this time, I cannot devote to them. Too bad. I have always had a longing to see blue birds again, but they will have to wait for another year.

I am just geting that farm going this year, and there is hardly enough time in a day to do the farm work. I did think that it would consisted of just putting up a house. But I sure plan to do it ASAP. Or if I can get some help that is interested in doing it. As at this time I live an hour and some from the farm.

I just checked the Canadian site and found the Blue bird society in Kitchener, which is part of our tri city group of Cambridge, Kitchener, and Waterloo.

I called the number but it was wrong.

If you are savy around these sites and can find a valid number for them I sure would appreciate it. Maybe i can find some real hard core blue bird enthusiast in the area and maybe he or she will be glad to do the management of them for me.

David Pelly

I think you'll have better luck contacting you telephone information center than I would.
I do wish you the best in your new venture.
shelley

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back