• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swan electrocution (1 Viewer)

JPAC

A swan flew into some power lines near me and was killed. Talking to the warden he said it happens often. Does it? I never heard of such a thing before.
It was a male swan, what happens to their pairing now he is dead?

It does happen I'm afraid. I've seen the same thing around here several times over the years and not just with swans.

I dare say that depending on age the female may find another mate for life.

A swan flew into some power lines near me and was killed. Talking to the warden he said it happens often. Does it? I never heard of such a thing before.
It was a male swan, what happens to their pairing now he is dead?

If as the warden says this happens often the company that is responsible for the power lines, if approached, would probably put some things called flight divertors on the power lines which give birds more of a chance of seeing and avoiding them.
Besides being good for the birds it also helps with the security of their network as swans and other large birds such as geese are well capable of flying into the wires, clashing them together and bringing them down.

I have seen this happen once before on the somerset levels, with a swan flying into a bunch of wires that were tagged very obviously with red markers, so even these aren't always succesful at deterring the birds. Have to say it was quite an awful experience with a loud buzzing sound of electricity as it hit the wires and the thud as it landed...

I posted this on Somerset Birds in Nov 2007:
A pleasant stroll on Knowle Moor this morning was marred by the dramatic demise of one of the Mute Swans on Webb's Rhyne. As the family group (2 ads, 4 juvs) flew low across the moor, one of the juvs collided with a 3-cable power line: a ball of orange flame and an ear-shattering thunderclap, and the family was down to 5...

Richard :-C

I think he meant nationwide not especially locally. However, I went to have a look where it had happened and another swan nearly did the same thing but just managed to clear the wires. They used to put corks on telephone lines so the birds could see them more easily. Nearly all the overhead power lines have been put underground there, apart from this small section which feeds a hotel.

I did hear the 'crack' from a nearby hide when the swan hit the lines, I thought it sounded strange but nobody at the time knew what it was. It has upset a lot of people there.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back