• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (2 Viewers)

Live update, North Pit 1 Temminck's Stint, 1 Sanderling and Barwit still plus many Dunlin and Ringed Plovers.
Geoff
Three Temminck's Stint this afternoon but this time at RSPB Frampton Marsh, Lincs. (a slightly larger version of Midd Lakes). For reference, legs can look dark from a distance but when seen close up the yellow colouration is noticeable but the best identification is the nice 'Common Sandpiper' bib. Also there was a Spoonbill.
With a Serin and a pair of Garganey at Gib Point I'm not doing too bad this week.
Geoff

Please note that due to the disturbance to the Black-headed gulls, we have decided to close the path up the West side of the North Pit.
The North can still be viewed from the benches and the Lookout.
We apologise for any inconvenience that this causes but it is in the interest of the breeding birds.
Many thanks for your patience.

The Pectoral Sandpiper found yesterday was still on North Pit this morning and also around were, 1 Bar-tailed Godwit, 3 Sanderling, 8 Dunlin, ca. 20 Ringed Plover and a Redshank. A drake Garganey was on NP and a drake Pochard on FMP.
Geoff

Afternoon visit, the sum plum Grey Plover reported this morning was still on NP with a Bar-tailed Godwit, on the JWs were, 1 Greenshank, 1 Dunlin and 27 Ringed Plover. A 1st summer Med Gull and a Barn Owl were seen on the JWs.
It appears that there could be some young Redshank on the JWs judging by the actions of the parents to Crows and 2 young Oystercatcher were seen just off the reserve.
Geoff

A little walk round this afternoon in the lovely sunshine. A few shots taken.

Attachments

• IMG_2448.jpg
    IMG_2448.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2463.jpg
    IMG_2463.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2519.jpg
    IMG_2519.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2538.jpg
    IMG_2538.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2557.jpg
    IMG_2557.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 62
Evening visit for a change, the drake Garganey and Bar-tailed Godwit were on the north pit, a Barn Owl was hunting around the JWs at 8:30 and also there were 3 or 4 Dunlin and 25 Ringed Plover. A Tawny Owl was calling in the Mill Plantation.
Geoff

Afternoon visit, not much change with the heavy showers although I had a good soaking on the long trek back from the lookout hide to the car park, the sooner we get some more hides the better.
New in was a Sanderling seen on NP and the JWs, also seen were 42 Ringed Plover, 5 LRP, 4 Oystercatcher, 3 Redshank, 2 Dunlin and the Bar-tailed Godwit, a Common Sandpiper was reported.
The Yellow Wagtail was still singing on the northwest side.
Geoff

After the last 24 hours heavy rain showers the water levels have risen about a foot and most of the waders have left and I presume some nests will have been lost. 4 Oystercatcher, 2 Lapwing, 13 Ringed Plover, 3 LRP and 2 Redshank remained, also seen were 1 Little Egret, 1 Peregrine and my first Jay for two months.
Geoff

After the last 24 hours heavy rain showers the water levels have risen about a foot and most of the waders have left and I presume some nests will have been lost. 4 Oystercatcher, 2 Lapwing, 13 Ringed Plover, 3 LRP and 2 Redshank remained, also seen were 1 Little Egret, 1 Peregrine and my first Jay for two months.
Geoff

Still no operational sluice system Geoff?

Geoff

Hi Geoff
After all the work has now finished, could you show some photos of how the habitat is looking now, especially the wader habitat.B :)John

Still no operational sluice system Geoff?
Hi Phil,
No, the Environment Agency won't allow any (they prefer an open channel system). However saying that we do have sluices on the two small wader scrapes at the south end of the JWs but they are prone to get over topped if we get any heavy rain.
The RSPB hope the EA will eventually relent if enough nesting birds are flooded out which has happened twice so far this year.
Today water was still pouring into the reserve through the various channels and all I could see were 1 LRP, 1 Redshank, 2 Oystercatcher and a Lapwing. All the other waders seem to have departed. There was a report of 2 Garganey in the logbook.
Geoff

Hi Geoff
After all the work has now finished, could you show some photos of how the habitat is looking now, especially the wader habitat.B :)John
Hi John,
At the moment the Jubilee Wetlands are mostly under water but the North Pit still has some islands showing. I don't usually carry a camera with me but when the water levels subside I'll try to get some shots from the top of the Dosthill bund hills. Perhaps some of our regular photographers could take some?
Geoff

Hi John,
At the moment the Jubilee Wetlands are mostly under water but the North Pit still has some islands showing. I don't usually carry a camera with me but when the water levels subside I'll try to get some shots from the top of the Dosthill bund hills. Perhaps some of our regular photographers could take some?
Geoff

Thanks Geoff
you know how much I love waders and their haboB :) John

Hi John,
Geoff

The water levels were high and still rising when I left early afternoon today. It wouldn't surprise me if water was lapping at the hide door in the morning. The only saving grace is that water can now flow back into the river quickly these days as soon as we have a dry spell.

Anyway here's what it looked like today......

http://archiesbirding.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/garganey-at-middleton-lakes-rspb.html

Please be aware that yesterdays rain has lead to some areas of flooding on site. The areas most affected are Canal Meadow and the path to the Lookout. The water level is slowly going down and as long as you walk slowly, wellies are sufficient.

The rain has brought some nice birds down. Turnstone in front of West Screen (Jub. Wetlands) and black tern over North Pit.

Also yellow wagtail still singing from post, 6 little egret flying over Fisher's Mill, Male Garganey on Jubilee and 150+ swift over.

David

Water levels high this evening with no waders spotted during my visit. Water still coming into the reserve from the river. It was busy on the reserved this evening, with 19 cars in the car park at 9pm.

Barn Owl seen hunting along river near the lookout hide. It was mobbed by BH Gulls and moved on. Later seen flying across Jubilee Wetlands carrying a small rodent in its talons.

Very quick walk around the site. Kestrel hunting over the car park. Jay on the feeders. Meadow pipit at the North. Speckled wood, brimstone, peacock, comma, common blue around Wetlands.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back