• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (2 Viewers)

Very quick walk around the site. Kestrel hunting over the car park. Jay on the feeders. Meadow pipit at the North. Speckled wood, brimstone, peacock, comma, common blue around Wetlands.

David

Forgive me, so that I know how to address you in the future, are you Doctor Roberts (academic or medical) or are they your initials?:t:

A good selection of waders today, 1 Little Stint, 1 Sanderling, 2 Dunlin, 1 Black-tailed Godwit 16 Ringed Plover and a few LRP, they mostly were on the JWs but sometimes on NP. Up to 3 drake Garganey were around.
Geoff

Water levels have risen since yesterday so much of the mud has gone and many of the waders have disappeared, just 8 Ringed Plover and 2 LRP were seen although the Little Stint and Turnstone were reported earlier on the NP.
4 Garganey were on the NP (3 drakes and a female) and 5 Gadwall ducklings were on the JWs. A Great Crested Grebe was nesting on the JWs but is unlikely to be successful if we get any more rain.
Geoff

Surprised to find that water levels had fallen since yesterday, 2 Dunlin, 21 Ringed Plover, 3 LRP and 13 Lapwing were around but no sign of the Garganey. A Cuckoo was calling still.
Geoff

Surprised to find that water levels had fallen since yesterday, 2 Dunlin, 21 Ringed Plover, 3 LRP and 13 Lapwing were around but no sign of the Garganey. A Cuckoo was calling still.
Geoff
Today I was surprised at how much the water had risen, the JWs were flooded and some of the paths were underwater including the path to the hide. Two Great Crested Grebe nests appear to have been abandoned and many other nests must have been lost again, lets hope the Environment Agency give permission for the sluices soon or maybe the RSPB should have a plan B?
On the small East Scrape in the JWs were 3 Dunlin, 8 Ringed Plover and 6 LRP, this was the only area unaffected by the flood as the bund had held.
Geoff

Today I was surprised at how much the water had risen, the JWs were flooded and some of the paths were underwater including the path to the hide. Two Great Crested Grebe nests appear to have been abandoned and many other nests must have been lost again, lets hope the Environment Agency give permission for the sluices soon or maybe the RSPB should have a plan B?
On the small East Scrape in the JWs were 3 Dunlin, 8 Ringed Plover and 6 LRP, this was the only area unaffected by the flood as the bund had held.
Geoff

What the hell are the EA playing at? There is obviously a problem at Middleton that needs sorting out for f***s sake! Like Natural England are their hands tied and they are pandering to the needs of the landowners because of government policy and the wealthy landowners? The RSPB need to try and get this sorted. The main aim of establishing a reserve at Middleton is to provide a varied habitat for a variety of birds to breed. Passage migration is an extra interest and bonus. Leys hope they get this sorted and nests are not flooded!:C

Water levels had dropped slightly but still no mud showing, the only waders seen were 6 Ringed Plover inc. 2 juvs ,2 LRP, 4 Oystercatcher and a few Lapwings. Highlight was 2 drake and a female Garganey on the NP. A Jay struggled to eat from a bird feeder, it kept falling off.
Geoff

Water levels had dropped slightly but still no mud showing, the only waders seen were 6 Ringed Plover inc. 2 juvs ,2 LRP, 4 Oystercatcher and a few Lapwings. Highlight was 2 drake and a female Garganey on the NP. A Jay struggled to eat from a bird feeder, it kept falling off.
Geoff

Geoff, it is good to know what is passing through, but can we have more info on what is successfully breeding at Middleton. At the end of the day it is a wetland reserve. Until the water level situation gets sorted, I think that the genuine naturalists will not visit just to see failed breeders deserting! It is a pity as the area has so much potential.

Flooding and water controls at Middleton Lakes

Hi All,

reading through this thread I am picking up that there is a lack of information in the birding community regarding the EA/Flooding and breeding birds at the reserve. To help clarify and maybe instill some hope I wanted to let you all know the facts around the current situation. I hope it is useful and interesting to you all who want to see the wildlife thrive at the reserve.

Almost three years ago now we were made aware of an opportunity to put in an application for a grant from Viridor Credits Envirinmental. We only had a very short window of time to work up the application so used what we knew and also some well informed estimates to create a model for the landscaping that we now know as the Jubilee Wetlands. During this process we also had a site visit with the Envirinment Agency to discuss the plans and the options for sluices. They indicated that despite protocol for not having any restrictions within the flood plain we might be able to find a compromise that works for them and us using limited time closure and also high water spill ways. We therefore proceeded with the design on that basis.

After winning the grant we moved to get the relevant permissions from the EA for the works and at this stage were informed that the data that they need to consider and consent to the proposal was far more than the local data that we hold and would take quite a bit of time to pull together (by a hydrological consultants with the kit and expertise). The time line for spending the grant was not long enough for this data to be gathered so we were not able to include the sluices in the works.

We have not abandoned this though and now have several sophisticated data loggers positioned around the site and in the river plus we have assigned a consultant to work up the application to the EA with the 'flood risk assessement' required for them to consent. Once we have all the data we will be able to discuss again with the EA what is possible gain consent and can then install the sluices to protect the breeding areas.

We are hopefull that this can be progressed and have it as a high priority to get sorted. It may not be in time for the next breeding season I am afraid as the works would ideally be completed in late summer/autumn but hopefully we will at least have the data then permissions, design and money all lined up to do the works n 2015. This may seem a long drawn out affair but anyone who has seen Middleton Lakes develop will know that we have invested a huge amount of money in it and to do everything right sometimes takes time.

I appreciate that some of this may all seem like point less bureaucracy but the EA have a lot of pressure to maintain the valley as a functioning flood plain for Tamworth. If we are successful with the scheme and can have a protected breeding area for waders and other ground nesting species it would be a great showcase for other sites with similar circumstances and could set a precident for the EA to allow some structures in other flood plains.

Not perfect I know but watch this space.

Hopefully that is helpful information, if anyone has any specific questions or comments about this or any other aspect of the reserve please feel free to email me directly [email protected]

Wishing you all the best,

Nick

Senior Site Manager
RSPB Middleton Lakes

Hi. Having recently moved to Birmingham, I am looking forward to hearing from anyone who could help regarding some local birding. I am also a keen twitcher too so am available to go to places like Norfolk for example for the Spectacled Warbler. Anyone interested in local birding or twitches please let me know by PM. Sorry to hijack the thread but wanted to get the attention of any Midlands birders out there.

Geoff, it is good to know what is passing through, but can we have more info on what is successfully breeding at Middleton. At the end of the day it is a wetland reserve. Until the water level situation gets sorted, I think that the genuine naturalists will not visit just to see failed breeders deserting! It is a pity as the area has so much potential.
Hi SB, If it's baby birds you want then there are plenty about at the moment, in the past week I've seen Gadwall, Mallard, Black-headed Gulls, Oystercatcher, Redshank, LRP, Ringed Plover, Barn Owl and Grey Wagtail young all around North Pit and the JWs. Of course there would have been many more if the flooding hadn't occurred but remember the reserve is still young and if a restrictor is put in place on the river inlet culvert then most of the flooding will be prevented.
Reported for yesterday were, 1 Turnstone, a Hobby and a Med Gull.
Also thanks to Nick Martin for the update.
Geoff

Last edited:
Thanks for adding some clarity Nick - i can appreciate the concerns over flooding to Tamworth etc. I have to adopt a wry smile and eyes narrowed when you look at the permission that has been given for building houses on flood plains and the associated problems over the last few years. It's a different ball-game when Local Authorities are making loads of money from planning applications.

I suppose in a roundabout way all the waders want to do is have somewhere to live and raise a family on a flood plain;)

ATB Laurie:t:

I know I have asked this many times, but what is the situation with the promised bridge over the Tame joining Dosthill and Middleton reserves? As Nick Martin has explained the situation regarding the proposals for flood control, I hope he can elaborate on the current bridge situation.

Regards

Moocher

I did the Dosthill side today for a change. There are some great views of Midd Lakes from the Dosthill bunds and I could see a Little Egret in the southern meadow along with the Konik ponies, the ponies have been here a long time now but still not been shown to the public as the southern meadow has been out of bounds for ages, I'd rather see native Red Deer here than alien horses anyway.
A Hobby was hawking dragonflies and a Cuckoo was calling, a Little Owl was seen enroute. A good selection of warblers were singing including Cetti's.
My first Meadow Brown butterfly of the year was along the river with good numbers of Small Tortoiseshell and Chimney Sweeper moths and Banded Damselfly.
Geoff

Early morning visit with water levels still high, no waders noted other than Oyster catcher and Lapwing.
Grass snake sunning itself and my first sighting here of a common lizard.

I know I have asked this many times, but what is the situation with the promised bridge over the Tame joining Dosthill and Middleton reserves? As Nick Martin has explained the situation regarding the proposals for flood control, I hope he can elaborate on the current bridge situation.

Regards

Moocher

Does anyone know anything about the Bridge Situation these days?

It was a pleasant day for a walk but it's a quiet time of the year. On the north pit were 1 drake Pochard, 1 female Goosander, a pair and 2 chick Oystercatcher, 2 LRP and the adult and juvenile Redshank had moved from the JWs to here.
The JWs held just 1 Ringed Plover and 2 Yellow Wagtail of interest.
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back