• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (43 Viewers)

Sunday sightings

Lynford Arboretum

Hawfinch - 1
Goshawk over
Sedge Warbler 1
Swallow - 1
Blackcap - arriving in numbers
Willow Warbler - a couple in subsong

Weeting

Cuckoo - 1
Stone Curlew - 6

Santon Downham

too many people chasing the lesser spot at its nest hole - didn't
bother adding to the disturbance

Gordon

This morning at Denver Sluice: 12 Chiffchaff, 8 Willow Warbler, 10 Blackcap, 6 Sedge Warbler and 5 Whitethroat made up an impressive number of warblers. A Yellow Wagtail went South, and a House Martin was feeding. Also a Nightingale singing along the riverbank, but due to unsuitable habitat it probably won't stick around.

Does anyone know anything about the reported Black Kite over Downham Market at 7:25am please? I was on my patch, right next to the town, at this time, and managed to miss it!

Can't help with the Kite Simeon but like you, I also heard a Nightingale this morning, my first at Happisburgh. There'd been an arrival of Wheatears too with a minimum of 12 around. Several Corvids were mooching up and down including the hybrid Hooded X Carrion of last weekend and other than Linnets, little else seemed to be moving. With an eye to the sky, 3 Sparrowhawks were noted passing very high southwards between 9:30 and 11:00 (although I was here much earlier than this! ;))...

James

Santon Downham

The woodpeckers were seen to mate today, not by me, we watched the male excavating the hole from a sensible distance half hidden by bushes, the female popped in for a quick look then disappeared. There were brambling singing everywhere ! Which was very nice

Peregrines mating on Norwich Cathedral this lunchtime.
Saturday on Incleborough Hill was a complete waste of time with just a few resident common buzzards and sparrowhawks in nearly 6 hrs. Same result for Raptor Reveller at Northrepps so it wasn't that we missed much! Clifftop at West Runton equally quiet with just single wheatear and yellow wag - it can only get better!

Not been there for a few years, but I think access is from Marston Lane in Eaton. From UEA (which you should remember?), follow Bluebell road south, go across the lights at Waitrose and follow Church Lane until the road bends sharp left. Here there should be a cycle path going off on the right which skirts the side of Eaton CG and heads East across Marston Marshes.

Yeah, I remember UEA (?) and can see that the cycle path that comes off of Church Lane is actually Church Lane. I may have a wander down there at the weekend.
Thanks again!

Here's a few piccies from Saturday. I'll post ones from Sunday whn I get the chance. Any Norwich birders fancy meeting up of a weekend or during the week from Good friday until 8th May (excluding easter Sat/Sun) for some Norfolk/Suffolk based excursions to share fuel costs or local birding around the city then let me know. B :)

Attachments

• 5610749204_7588d6dfd9.jpg
    5610749204_7588d6dfd9.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 117
  • 5610743410_f436b6dbcb.jpg
    5610743410_f436b6dbcb.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 73
Titchwell April 12th

Today’s highlights

Garganey – pair in reedbed
Red kite – 1 over @ 3pm
Spotted redshank – 2 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover – 2 on fresh marsh
Velvet scoter – 2 drakes offshore
Wheatear – 4 from Parrinder Hide
Whitethroat – 1st of the year in the carpark

Paul

Me and my Dad will be having a day trip to Norfolk on Friday to look for the Bluethroat. We would also love to see Firecrest and Goshawk. Any information would be appreciated

Yeah, I remember UEA (?) and can see that the cycle path that comes off of Church Lane is actually Church Lane. I may have a wander down there at the weekend.
Thanks again!

Hi Nick,

There was a few feeders up there last year, cant remember which end of the lane but if I remember correctly the Haws were originally reported with a load of bramblings so the feeders could be a good place to start looking...

Dave

Ring Ouzels fail to hang around at The Hangs

Going by the pager today, things seemed generally quiet around Norfolk so I was pleased to see two Ring Ouzels this morning just south of Scrib Hill viewed from Cley Hangs. Unfortunately, to my knowledge they didn't stop long enough for anyone else to enjoy but at least one or more lucky persons got a male Redstart in the same area which must have been equally as pleasing.

Popped into Dauke's for a short time and a White Wagtail on Simmond's Scrape was the most notable bird and upon returning to the car I saw two adult Med Gulls flying over Old Woman Lane. Also on a fish note, there's some nice Sticklebacks in the ditch by the road and they show excellently where the sunlight hits them. A brief look offshore early afternoon produced a mint-condition adult Kittiwake close in going west and a not so mint patchy imm Eider offshore plus another four east. Lastly, two male Wheatears were in the Eye Field.

Met up with Josh in the afternoon - he's running the London Marathon on Sunday so all the best with that mate! :t: We went for a wander up to Wiveton Downs where we were greeted by the songs of many warblers, a wheezing Greenfinch and two or three Marsh Harriers, one of which, a slim-winged, long-tailed male gave us a lovely close fly-by at eye level. Found an interesting beetle which turned out to be a Bloody-nosed after checking the book later on.

A quick visit to Glandford Mill on the way home produced Water Rail seen in flight briefly, Brambling heard only and three Bullfinches. Finally, yet another Common Buzzard over Corpusty. I have recorded Buzzards in 24 different localities in Norfolk already so far this year. Can anyone top that?

Here's a few piccies from Saturday. I'll post ones from Sunday whn I get the chance. Any Norwich birders fancy meeting up of a weekend or during the week from Good friday until 8th May (excluding easter Sat/Sun) for some Norfolk/Suffolk based excursions to share fuel costs or local birding around the city then let me know. B :)

Count me in. I've got all the bank holidays off plus any Sundays or Tuesdays which are my normal days off work.

Iberian Chiffchaff

Balls, I thought I heard an Iberian Chiffchaff at titchwell yesterday but as it was so cold and windy it only sang maybe 3 times. It only did the first two notes plus a tiny bit of the middle portion so I put it down as a mixed singer.

The one that got away, I certainly won't be putting in a record in hindsight and claiming the bird as my own, that would be very dishonourable ;);)

Balls, I thought I heard an Iberian Chiffchaff at titchwell yesterday but as it was so cold and windy it only sang maybe 3 times. It only did the first two notes plus a tiny bit of the middle portion so I put it down as a mixed singer.

The one that got away, I certainly won't be putting in a record in hindsight and claiming the bird as my own, that would be very dishonourable ;);)

Same here! Unbelievable! Do you know whereabouts the bird is at titchwell please?

Keep your hands off Stu!!!
One of our volunteers has nailed it with some cracking photos. I will post some in the next couple of days when I get hold of them.

P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back