• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

July Moths (1 Viewer)

Some good variety in the trap this week with the highlights for me being:

Blastobasis rebeli (2nd garden record)
Fen Wainscot
Argyresthia albistria
Eucosma cana

these three all new for me.

Dave W

Interesting Dave.

I caught a Fen Wainscot on the the night of the 16th, which was also NFM... Perhaps they have erupted from their reedbeds. I am about 1 mile from a large reedbed.

Also, NFY:
Marbled Beauty
Scarce Footman
Lackey
Wormwood Pug

Micros:
Trachycera (Acrobasis) advenella
Epinotia nisella
Pyrausta purpuralis

Not got on top of the yearlist since National Moth Night(s) but expect to do so this weekend. Having spent last weekend at the cricket, I've not been out with traps since NMN and this weekend looks thundery but the local garden traps have in the meantime produced Avon's first modern Northern Spinach (nice to get a patch macro tick) and this morning in my garden trap an Oncocera semirubella which is Avon's second modern record according to the Atlas.

The county recorder has also confirmed that he is happy with the Gypsonoma oppressanas - one off patch and one on patch - which I think are first and second modern county records as it does not appear in the Atlas.

I think I'll try and get the battery-operated traps out on the patch this weekend regardless of the weather and see what happens!

All the best

Last edited:
Not got on top of the yearlist since National Moth Night(s) but expect to do so this weekend. Having spent last weekend at the cricket, I've not been out with traps since NMN and this weekend looks thundery but the local garden traps have in the meantime produced Avon's first modern Northern Spinach (nice to get a patch macro tick) and this morning in my garden trap an Oncocera semirubella which is Avon's second modern record according to the Atlas.

The county recorder has also confirmed that he is happy with the Gypsonoma oppressanas - one off patch and one on patch - which I think are first and second modern county records as it does not appear in the Atlas.

I think I'll try and get the battery-operated traps out on the patch this weekend regardless of the weather and see what happens!

All the best

glad you got your oppressana Paul :t:

Not trapped all week so I am looking forward to setting the light tonight even with rain forecasted. I will try to keep it shaded from the expected heavy rain during the early hours and place it under the conifers and see how it goes.

Eight (normally 1-2) Tree-lichen Beauties in the pot this am, my 20th Diaphania perspectalis, (a seven fold! increase so far) over last year's total, with the first Pebble prominent and Ruby Tiger (both NFY). However the ''star catch'' was this Purpularis (also NFY), which was perfectly posed and..looking almost tropical! Cheers.

Attachments

• Purpularis No.2. for web.jpg
    Purpularis No.2. for web.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 64
Not trapped all week so I am looking forward to setting the light tonight even with rain forecasted. I will try to keep it shaded from the expected heavy rain during the early hours and place it under the conifers and see how it goes.

and did it rain! Thunder & Lightening woke me up, the tropical type rain storm was enough for me to take the trap into the garage. Of course I lost a few as I made haste and then a few more in the garage. Off to work for an early shift and I sorted through the remains this afternoon. 65 species from nearly 200 moths. Quite a few lifers too including: Ypsolopha scabrella, Carcina quercana, Hypsopygia costalis, Oak Hook-tip, Dark Spinach, Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing and Scarce Silver-lines.

Other nice species were: 2 x True Lovers Knot, Mother of Pearl and Phlyctaenia coronata.

Still not sure of the Orange Footman on another post for ID.

Dave

Attachments

• Footman.jpg
    Footman.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Oak-Hook-tip.jpg
    Oak-Hook-tip.jpg
    958.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Scarce-Silver-Lines.jpg
    Scarce-Silver-Lines.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Carcina-quercana.jpg
    Carcina-quercana.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 50
Eight (normally 1-2) Tree-lichen Beauties in the pot this am, my 20th Diaphania perspectalis, (a seven fold! increase so far) over last year's total, with the first Pebble prominent and Ruby Tiger (both NFY). However the ''star catch'' was this Purpularis (also NFY), which was perfectly posed and..looking almost tropical! Cheers.

The picture is of Hypsopygia costalis - Gold Triangle - unless I've missed another name change!

David

Last night was by far my best of the year, both for numbers and variety. 22 micros of 14 species and 126 macros of 28 species.

NFY were
Oegoconia quadripuncta (1)
Yellowtail (1)
Dingy Footman (1)
Lesser Yellow Underwing (7)
Campion (1)
Cloaked Minor (1)
Copper Underwing (1)
Herald (1)

The only possible migrants were 2 Plutella xylostella. I see Spurn is getting large numbers of these and also Silver Ys so hopefully a few more will show up soon.

Steve

Last edited:
About 95 species in the garden MV last night, Cydia splendana by far the most numerous. This Wormwood was a new one for me.
Cheers
Duncan

Attachments

• Wormwood.JPG
    Wormwood.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 56
A few nice ones new for me last night - Small Emerald, Lesser Treble-bar and Balsam Carpet; also Drinker, Pine Hawk-moth and Engrailed not new, but of interest.

During the week, one night produced 60+ Water Veneer (mostly dead) and 30+ Garden Grass-veneer, with two Small Rufous on the same night a little odd location-wise?

A few nice ones new for me last night - Small Emerald, Lesser Treble-bar and Balsam Carpet; also Drinker, Pine Hawk-moth and Engrailed not new, but of interest.

During the week, one night produced 60+ Water Veneer (mostly dead) and 30+ Garden Grass-veneer, with two Small Rufous on the same night a little odd location-wise?

I had a look around the trap one night and the grass was moving with Water Veneer, literally hundreds of them. In the morning just a single had bothered to get into the trap. I have stopped counting the Grass Veneers now as always dozens.

Foxy Mothing

My partners son came home early hours this morning to find a Fox trying to catch my moths as they flew in. He videoed 10 mins of footage that I will try to put up later when he shows me how :t: Now I know why the catch was down this morning.......

Dave

For me 30+ Diamond-back Moths last night as well as two lifers (and a couple for ID later):

966 Cochylis atricapitana
1036 Acleris forsskaleana
2136 The Gothic Naenia typical (nfy)

robhope

UK Lepidoptera 441 (966 Cochylis atricapitana) UK Plants 412 (Nottingham Catchfly) & UK Birds 236 (Black-winged Stilt)

Attachments

• 966 Cochylis atricapitana.jpg
    966 Cochylis atricapitana.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 1036 Acleris forsskaleana.jpg
    1036 Acleris forsskaleana.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 35
  • The Gothic.jpg
    The Gothic.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 34
Isn't that a Foxglove Pug?

And Hypsopygia costalis has never been purpuralis - Pyrausta purpuralis is a different thing.

Steve

Yes...I clearly ''cocked-up'' on the ID of Hypsopygia costalis, believing (incorrectly) that P.purpularis was the only gold and purple small moth, and also the Pug...but having looked again!...why isn't it a Toadflax Pug?

Cheers

Yes...I clearly ''cocked-up'' on the ID of Hypsopygia costalis, believing (incorrectly) that P.purpularis was the only gold and purple small moth, and also the Pug...but having looked again!...why isn't it a Toadflax Pug?

Cheers

It probably is - I had forgotten that we are now into the flight period of Toadflax and it is late for Foxglove. The two are very similar in markings, and Toadflax needs photos or specimens for acceptance in Leics/Rutland. I think the feeling is that many records of Toadflax are in fact second brood Foxgloves.

Steve

Last night was interesting, my 23rd Diaphania perspectalis, 7th Kent Black Arches, and my 2nd Waved Black. Locally, appearing to be a case of scarcer moths increasing somewhat, clearly going through a ''purple patch'' not to mention my 2nd Blood Vein. Cheers

Attachments

• Waved Black camouflaged..jpg
    Waved Black camouflaged..jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Waved Black No.2.  21.7.14.jpg
    Waved Black No.2. 21.7.14.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Blood Vein 2..jpg
    Blood Vein 2..jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 25
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back