• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

December Moths (1 Viewer)

Paul Chapman

My first moths of December were two Mottled Umber and a Yellow-lined Quaker attracted to pub lights this evening in Clevedon.

All the best

Last edited:
Wednesday night was warm and not too windy so the trap went out but just 3 Ephyphias postvittana were the result. I don't normally bother in December but we had a smart electricity meter fitted on Tuesday and I wanted to see how much the 125W Robinson cost to run. About a penny an hour as it turned out.

At home for me this month, a singe December Moth, Mottled Umber, Acleris sparsana, Light Brown Apple Moth, a (surprising) Rust-dot Pearl and several Winter Moths.

All the best

My first moths of December were two Mottled Umber and a Yellow-lined Quaker attracted to pub lights this evening in Clevedon.

All the best

About time you renewed your passport Paul and sorted my Butterflies out!!!

Gooners go top!

:t::t::t::t::t:

Last edited:
Oh - and I forgot a couple of Dark Chestnut.

About time you renewed your passport Paul and sorted my Butterflies out!!!

Gooners go top!

:t::t::t::t::t:

I have always been tempted by some foreign moth trapping. Never done so and no experience however. I must try it at some point. I did have a Striped Hawkmoth the last time I was at the Nou Camp and will probably be back there again next year........

All the best

Bear in mind the legislation that exists in a lot of countries and I'm sure you will have a fantastic experience and see some wonderful moths.
Martin

Bear in mind the legislation that exists in a lot of countries and I'm sure you will have a fantastic experience and see some wonderful moths.
Martin

Do you think there is any difference legally, for example in Spain, between attracting moths to a light (using a light and a sheet) and using a Robinson or Skinner trap or would they both be considered trapping even though one involves confining the moth and the other does not?

Hi Nick
The law is possibly a bit vague and it can easily be open to interpretation. It mainly concerns collecting, which can include just the use of a net or either of the two methods you describe. It is possibly less likely to be enforced if you are running a light from an apartment/hotel/or villa than out in the wider countryside
As far as Spain is concerned one has to have a permit from each of the autonomous regions that you are visiting. However, permits for some regions are almost impossible to obtain. I've also heard that having asked for a permit, and retained a copy of the application letter, this can be used even if you failed to get a permit (i.e. just the act of trying was sufficient for the local police).
There's a useful website here: http://www.theskepticalmoth.com/collecting-permits
Best wishes
Martin

I have looked into this to a degree in Queensland as I have had two enquiries about running mothing trips / sessions here. I have obtained consent to trap within National Parks ONLY if I am not using a generator (currently all my traps are MV bulbs) and that I do not retain any specimens as long as I am doing it for personal interest and not for professional reasons. When I briefly looked at how you would be able to then export any specimens if you did obtain any fromm out with a National Park (such as my garden) it seems as though it is almost impossible.
I have been approached by two people looking for specimens for differing and on going projects, one looking at Agrius convolvuli (he wanted a leg from any Aussie specimens I catch) and the other for Cephonodes eggs. At the moment I cannot find out if sending them samples would be possible.
In general I suspect that getting specimens out from Australia is going to be a major hassle.

I don't normally bother in December but we had a smart electricity meter fitted on Tuesday and I wanted to see how much the 125W Robinson cost to run. About a penny an hour as it turned out.

Nice bit of info, and very interesting
Cheers for that it may keep the missus off my back! ;)

Angle Shades sat on top of my outside water tap this morning. It was extremely mild last night, should have run the trap.

Hi Nick
The law is possibly a bit vague and it can easily be open to interpretation. It mainly concerns collecting, which can include just the use of a net or either of the two methods you describe. It is possibly less likely to be enforced if you are running a light from an apartment/hotel/or villa than out in the wider countryside
As far as Spain is concerned one has to have a permit from each of the autonomous regions that you are visiting. However, permits for some regions are almost impossible to obtain. I've also heard that having asked for a permit, and retained a copy of the application letter, this can be used even if you failed to get a permit (i.e. just the act of trying was sufficient for the local police).
There's a useful website here: http://www.theskepticalmoth.com/collecting-permits
Best wishes
Martin

Thanks Martin that's an interesting site. I'm hoping to travel around Thailand for a couple of weeks in January and according to the info on the site there's no problems with trapping there so the light and sheet will go with me. I'll try to ensure that I don't bring anything back with me |=)|

Warm and dry last night so the trap went out. 1 Silver Y, 5 Ephyphias postvittana and 1 Emelina monodactyla were the haul. These took me up to 6000 moths identified this year which is a record for me. It was put into perspective though when I read this morning in the Essex Naturalists Trust 'A Guide to the Butterflies and Larger Moths of Essex' that AJ Dewick had 7,398 Silver Ys in his huge trap on ONE night, the 19th September 1960. It made me wonder how long did it take to count them all and did the trap go on the following night or was he still counting?

Silver Y and Dark Sword-grass at home courtesy of the southerlies.

(Rumour of a Spalding's Dart in Dorset looked like it might give me a crack at my second new macro moth of the year but alas it was soon in the hands of someone who 'did not do viewings' and had a desire in extreme haste to give it a shiny appendage to its abdomen and allow it to how it's hindwings. ;) Grateful for all those over the years who have had a more altruistic approach.)

All the best

Small Mottled Willow (I think!) just landed on patio window, now in fridge until morning - would be my first so want to confirm.

Small Mottled Willow (I think!) just landed on patio window, now in fridge until morning - would be my first so want to confirm.

Here 'tis...

Attachments

• IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    341.3 KB · Views: 107
Nice! Mouth-watering selection of stuff in the last few days Striped Hawkmoths, Crimson Speckled, Levant Blackneck, Small Mottled Willows, etc.

All the best

Thanks Paul and Martin.

Not quite as good this evening, Double-striped Pug and LBAM. I'll miss my new "all-weather trap" when we get some new curtains!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back