• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (40 Viewers)

Out and about around Salthouse and Cley today. Gramborough Hill was completely birdless. 4 Snow Bunting gave good views a bit further west and a Red-throated Diver was offshore. Another diver flying east was probably a Black-throated but the viewing conditions weren't good enough to confirm. I see a Black-throated was reported from Salthouse slightly later- a bit irking as I embarrassingly still have yet to see a definite in Norfolk.

To Cley via a deserted Walsey Hills- 2 Chaffinch, a Blue Tit and a Pheasant. A smart pair of Stonechat were by the visitor centre with another on the walk out to the hides after 4 Ruff flew over. A lone White-fronted Goose was a nice surprise feeding amongst the Greylag (thanks to the man who pointed this out).

Highlight of the day was the Bittern that flew through my field of view whilst watching the goose. Whilst brief, the bird was quite close and the lighting as good as it could get on a day like today.

Will

Titchwell November 29th

Today's highlights

Red necked grebe - 1 offshore
Water pipit - 2 feeding on fresh marsh islands from Parrinder Hide
Hen harrier - male hunting over Thornham Marsh this morning then flew east towards Brancaster. Ringtail over the saltmarsh this afternoon
Black throated diver - 1 offshore
Little auk - 2 west offshore this morning
Firecrest - 1 seen again near Fen Hide but very mobile and elusive
Bewick's swan - 1 roosting on the fresh marsh until 07:30 only
Chiffchaff - 2 on Meadow Trail
Long tailed duck - 4 offshore
Spotted redshank - 2 on fresh marsh
Great Northern diver - 2 east offshore
Swallow - 1 late bird east over the reedbed this afternoon

From next week we will be increasing the water levels on the fresh marsh and flooding out the islands. This is an important management tool to allow us to control the vegetation growth. The islands were cut and cleared a few weeks ago but short-term flooding will ensure any further growth is suppressed. Levels will remain high for 2-3 weeks and will then be lowered again.

Paul

Can anyone tell me what the situation is in the Yare Valley concerning geese? I haven't seen any mention of Beans, but I don't know whether that it because everyone ignores tham as they are regular, or because they are not there (or not there yet). I was planning a trip in early Jan. Any advice?

A couple were seen a week or so a go but no news since.

http://yarevalleywildlife.synthasite.com/bird-notes-2014.php

Not sure of the status of the footpath between Cantley and Buckenham at the mo. I know they were doing works after flooding but would have thought this would be completed by now. Can anyone confirm?

Will

I was at Buckenham this morning and there are still signs up saying "footpath closed ahead." Having said that another birder ignored them and carried on. How far he got I don't know.

Goosewise; it was foggy so couldn't see far but all I saw were greylags and canadas.

Buckenham / Cantley paths

Although the work is finished (or suspended pro tem ) the path is still off limits because it is soft and unstable. A really hard frost should make the walk possible, but whether you might still risk a £1000 fine is another matter!

You can walk along the metalled road to the drainage mill, of course....

Titchwell December 1st

Today's highlights

Velvet scoter - 3 offshore
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore
Spotted redshank - 2 on tidal pool
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh
Yellow legged gull - 2 adults roosted on the fresh marsh

Paul

Can anyone tell me what the situation is in the Yare Valley concerning geese? I haven't seen any mention of Beans, but I don't know whether that it because everyone ignores tham as they are regular, or because they are not there (or not there yet). I was planning a trip in early Jan. Any advice?

I am watching Buckenham and cantley pretty regularly at the moment, going down there as soon as it gets light today too. There have been 2 bean geese present, but not easy or reliable, there have also been reports of another small flock, which I will try to confirm today before work.

Your trip may have to be quite early in jan to connect with the geese, especially if it continues to be a mild winter, they had all gone by 6th jan this year!

I'll post again when/if the flock turns up. The Scottish birds are already present from what I have heard, so hopefully they won't be long now...

Titchwell December 2nd

Today's highlights

Hen harrier - ringtail roosted in the reedbed late afternoon
Spotted redshank - 3 on tidal pool
Med gull - 1 in roost
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

I don't think it is particularly secret - seemed to be quite a few people watching it last winter.
I had a look a fortnight ago and didn't see any kites coming in to roost. Maybe they've moved on now that Edgefield tip is closed.

Kites and seawatch...

It's my understanding that both Hunworth and New Holkham are active roosts, although the closure of the Edgefield tip has reduced the activity at Hunworth...

The seawatch at Cley / Salthouse was pretty good: skuas, divers, sea ducks and auks on show. (See my blog for photos)

There were also Laps, Snow Buntings and Stonechats at Salthouse at 9.00am...

Attachments

• LA best 3.jpg
    LA best 3.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 180
  • LA best.jpg
    LA best.jpg
    742 KB · Views: 149
  • LTD.jpg
    LTD.jpg
    585.6 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
I had a probable 13 beans yesterday morning at Buckenham. However it was a semi distant flight view only at dawn, based mainly on call dark wings and black tail band. They didn't look or sound like white fronts and were not pinks, greylags etc so I'll stick to probable but am pretty sure.
I'm doing a full count of Buckenham and cantley on Friday morning so if they are there I'll hopefully see them and report back

Where is New Holkham? I can't find references to it anywhere.

Nigel

Google Maps is your friend! I used it after Robin Chittenden mentioned the name - I live nearby, but I wasn't certain of the exact location - New Holkham is on the southern edge of the walled Holkham House estate.:t:
MJB

Google Maps is your friend! I used it after Robin Chittenden mentioned the name - I live nearby, but I wasn't certain of the exact location - New Holkham is on the southern edge of the walled Holkham House estate.:t:
MJB

Thanks for that, MJB. I had tried googling it but drew a blank. I'll check Google maps.

Nigel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back