• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (8 Viewers)

The tip entrance can be seen from the roadside as you leave Holt south on the Norwich road and get near to Edgefield - remember it being on the upslope of the hill i think? Anyone help?

The tip is on the right and there is an area of grass on the right where you can pull off the road, the gull seems to be favouring the field on the left of the road (take your scope they can be some way off).

I really want to see Whooper swans this weekend and was hoping to go to Welney. I have just seen they don't open til ten. Also i guess it's quite expensive for a quick visit. Are the Whoopers quite easy to see in the general area i.e. the fields around the reserve? or anywhere near by where i could see them?

Cheers
Gareth

I really want to see Whooper swans this weekend and was hoping to go to Welney. I have just seen they don't open til ten. Also i guess it's quite expensive for a quick visit. Are the Whoopers quite easy to see in the general area i.e. the fields around the reserve? or anywhere near by where i could see them?

Cheers
Gareth

Yes, you can generally see them in the fields from the approach road from Ten Mile Bank.
Sue

Cheers
Gareth

there are nomally plenty of them around in the fields (as well as Bewick's), as Sue suggested the road towards Ten Mile Bank is often a good one. Another option would be to visit Welney on the way home and see the floodlit feed, sure it's not the cheapest place to visit but it's worth it. http://www.wwt.org.uk/text/626/swan_feeds.html

Seawatch from Titchwell produced a juv Iceland Gull going east, 2 GN Divers very close in, 2 Long Tailed Ducks and plently of Goldeneyes, a few Eider and Great Crested Grebes and a RT Diver. 2 Water Pipits still in front of Parrinder Hide, among the freshly cut reeds, showing very well. Also 2 Spotchanks, several Redpoll in the scrub along the fen trail, and what was probably just a bright Chiffchaff. Possibly a fancy subsp though... Only got the briefest of views...

Jason

Last edited:
And here are a few pictures from past events, as I've only just managed to sort my phone out to get them on the laptop.

All from a Kowa TSN1 and/or mobile phone.

1. Salthouse beach road during the high tide surge, at around 7am.
2. Sea gushing over the shingle ridge.
3. Scene taken from east bank, over Arnolds Marsh.
4. Desert Wheatear at Horsey.
4. Ditto, looking a tad scruffy.

Attachments

• untitled2.JPG
    untitled2.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 120
  • untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 125
  • untitled3.JPG
    untitled3.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 120
  • untitled6.JPG
    untitled6.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 143
  • untitled4.JPG
    untitled4.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
6. Shorelark. Down to 10ft ish, but in near-darkness
7. Brent Geese and sunset over Cley marshes

Attachments

• Image8.JPG
    Image8.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Image7.JPG
    Image7.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Went to check through the gulls at Edgefield today - got the Iceland, but not a sign of anything Caspian looking. Bumped into Jason (nice to meet you). Sorry we didn't catch up at Wareham. Saw your car parked, but must have not walked far enough along the path (wasn't sure you hadn't gone back towards Stifkey Fen). Three ring-tailed Hen Harriers and lots of little egrets and geese coming into roost. Also a twite at Cley - the first one I've had away fromn Thornham for ages

Had the Desert Wheatear today at Horsey- cracking bird, pics and brief write up on my blog. Also at Horsey a Barn Owl, 2 Green Woodpeckers, 2 Stonechats...

Cheers,

Connor

Nice to meet you too Ilya. I did go a fair way along towards Wells, as I like to get as close to East Hills as possible. Perfect weather for viewing, and I had a Merlin shoot by, 3 definite induvidual ringtail Hen Harriers interacting, although lots of induvidual sightings over 2 hours may have contained extra birds. Cant be sure though. Also a Sparrowhawk. A flock of c20 probable Twite were present over the marsh in front of the Stiffkey Greenway carpark, although they weren't calling, so not 100%. The dence flock shape was good though. Pinkfeet began arriving at around 15:55.

Iceland Gull was still at Edgefield as well. Very handsome gull.

Jason

Popped to Horsey late afternoon, had great views of the Wheatear around 3pm. Hardly anyone there by then. Barn Owl hunting nearby. seals and pups on the beach. Few dead adult seals, must be the disease that was mentioned in the news a while back?
Jim.

Took a detour home through the local 'commons' this morning and got quite lucky with raptors. A Peregrine was chasing Wood Pigeons at Crostwight, a Common Buzzard lazed in the edge of a wood at Ridlington and a fem./imm. Hen Harrier was seen at East Ruston...

James

Nice to meet you too Ilya. I did go a fair way along towards Wells, as I like to get as close to East Hills as possible. Perfect weather for viewing, and I had a Merlin shoot by, 3 definite induvidual ringtail Hen Harriers interacting, although lots of induvidual sightings over 2 hours may have contained extra birds. Cant be sure though. Also a Sparrowhawk. A flock of c20 probable Twite were present over the marsh in front of the Stiffkey Greenway carpark, although they weren't calling, so not 100%. The dence flock shape was good though. Pinkfeet began arriving at around 15:55.

Iceland Gull was still at Edgefield as well. Very handsome gull.

Jason

saw the sprawk and though I had a Merlin bomb through near to East Hills, just before the first Hen Harrier arrived and after the sprawk was flying around but too far away to be sure. Probably should have walked a bit further. Might go and check out for your possible twites sometime, as they're becoming quite rare birds in Norfolk away from Thornham. Hopefully those Caspian Gull(s) will put in a show sometime.

p.s. all - don't forget to submit the stuff you see as BTO Atlas roving records:

http://www.bto.org/birdatlas/

You'll need to register the first time you use it

p.p.s Cheers for helping me look for my car keys I stupidly dropped Jason - would have been a long walk home!

Last edited:
Might go and check out for your possible twites sometime, as they're becoming quite rare birds in Norfolk away from Thornham.

Hi Ilya, have you had many Twite at Thornham this winter? I , like a couple of others, have had 2 birds, but certainly not many being seen like in previous winters, although they do seem to be easier in January/February time. A few reports from Titchwell recently though not many.

3 Shorelarks rptd at Holme golf-course today. With no sign of the 3 from Cley, perhaps the same birds?

Cheers,

Connor

Hi Ilya, have you had many Twite at Thornham this winter? I , like a couple of others, have had 2 birds, but certainly not many being seen like in previous winters, although they do seem to be easier in January/February time. A few reports from Titchwell recently though not many.

3 Shorelarks rptd at Holme golf-course today. With no sign of the 3 from Cley, perhaps the same birds?

Cheers,

Connor

Haven't had them, but haven't looked either. In the past, the place I tend to see them most often is on the saltmarsh between Titchwell and Thornham, accessible by walking west from the seawatching bench at Titchwell. My guess is that records of birds at Titchwell are the same ones

Haven't had them, but haven't looked either. In the past, the place I tend to see them most often is on the saltmarsh between Titchwell and Thornham, accessible by walking west from the seawatching bench at Titchwell. My guess is that records of birds at Titchwell are the same ones

Thanks Ilya

Connor

There were 30+ Twite present for a good week at Morston 1 or 2 weeks ago. Probably still there, but I haven't checked.

Jason

Ps, no problem Ilya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back