• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Many Pairs of Binoculars do you Have? (1 Viewer)

Nikon 8x32SE 500.........

Viking 6.5x32MD

Sold my HRWP as the SE pretty much made them redundant.

Anyone interested in the Viking pm me with an offer, I was going to keep them but since getting the SE I don`t want to use anything else !

I'm very grateful to those generous folks that share their precious collections freely. I would never hoard myself all these optics and being able to peep on pictures is all I would ask for in order to take a taste of history. It would be wonderful to read about more collections or actually usable sets, preferably with pictures.
Mine:
1. Canon 18x50 IS UD AW 3.7* Porro II
2. Canon 12x36 II IS 5* Porro II
3. Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 7.4* Schmidt Pechan DCF
4. Zeiss Terra 8x42 ED 7.1* Schmidt Pechan DCF
5. Nikon Monarch 7 ED 8x30 8.3* Schmidt Pechan DCF
6. Asahi Pentax Type 561 8x30 7.5* ΖCF
7. Pentax Papilio 6,5x21 7.5* UCF (ΙΙ?)
8. Stellarvue F50W RACI f/4 8.75x50 7.7*
9. Bresser 10x50 PCF
10. CCCP ΜΠ2 8x30 Mono Porro 1989
11. CCCP 3T Zenica 8-24x40 Telescopic Fieldscope 1989 5*-1.4*
12. William Optics 66ED 66/400
13. Orion 80ST 80/400
So it's 8 binoculars, 2 monoculars and 3 small refractors for terrestrial
I might add another monocular (Docter 8x21), a 8x20 roof and that's all. I am now cold with giant binoculars, I'll use a telescope for astronomy.

Nikon Venturer LX 8x20
Nikon Monarch 7 8x30
Nikon E2 8x30
Swift Eaglet 7x36 CFT
Nikon Venturer LX 8x32
Swift Ultralite 7x42 (the original porro from the 90's, not the newer roofs)
Orion Vista 10x50

Binos I sold and wish I could get back:

Nikon SE 8x32
Swarovski SLC 8x30
Leica BA 8x32
Zeiss 10x40 B

From my best recollection:

Currently Own and Use - "4" Roofs and "6" Porros !
Roofs:
Swarovski EL 10x50 SV
Leupold Mojave BX-3 10x42
Leupold Mojave BX-3 8x32
Nikon Trailblazer ATB 8x25
Porros:
Swarovski Habicht 10x40 W GA
Swarovski Habicht 8x30 W
Leupold Yosemite BX-1 8x30
Sears (MIJ) 7x35 WA
Sears (MIJ) 10x50 EWA
Bushnell 12x50

Owned but Sold or Returned - "9" Roofs and "3" Porros !
Roofs:
Swarovski SLC 10x42
Swarovski CL 8x25
Leupold Cascade BX-2 10x42
2 Leupold McKinley BX-4 10x42
2 Leupold Mojave Pro-Guide HD 10x42
Leupold Gold Ring HD 8x42
Vortex Viper HD 10x42
Porros:
Sears (MIJ) 7x35 EWA
Sears (MIJ) 10x50 WA
Jason Empire 221F 10x50 EWA

Have Examined, Glassed With, Compared, Tried (but never owned) - "23" Roofs and "1" Porro !
(All above from Various Vortex, Steiner, Cabelas Euro, Nikon, Leupold, Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski Binocular offerings)!

I know, just scratched the surface of what's out there...Still in the Journey!! :t:

Ted

Last edited:
I see those Nikons SE and EII in many collections, no matter what else one has. Considering that they are less portable and weather resistent, I wonder if there is any reason to try them themselves. They are also popular with astronomers (and they also rave about Fujinons at mini giants size).

Hi Konstantinos,

all 3 mentioned are optically top notch for the price and punch far above their weight - just read the (hundreds of?) threads on them.

E2: Main selling point is the widest field of view in a modern bin - the rest is not too shabby either.
SE: The SE series were the bins to beat at any price in the nineties. They still are optically very far in alpha land for a very modest fee - if you can find them.
Fuji FMT-SX: Optically and for taking abuse probably among the best at any price but the individual focus and the weight in the bigger models make them less desirable for birding.

To keep the confessions going - in chronologic order:

ZOMZ BPB1 7x50 - cold war vintage soviet bin - surprisingly nice for the 40€ paid
Nikon 8x30 E2 - my main birding bin - no need to say more
Zeiss Conquest 10x25 - always in my backpack
Hensoldt DF 8x30 - 60s Zeiss West quality in a milspec package - the beater bins for the trunk - surprisingly they are usable for birding as the IF moves so easily on mine that I can do it with with a flick of the thumbs.
Pentax Papillo II 8.5x21 - nice for watching bugs - reasonable pocket bin otherwise but the 6.5x is better
ZOMZ BPU 7x50 - virtually a slightly newer twin of the BPB1 and not so beaten up - will go to a friend
Eschenbach Trophy ED 8x42 - a waterproof full size bin when the weather is too foul for the Nikon - just got it at a great deal - but not yet unpacked - will see if it lives up to some rave reviews it got in germany.

Hors concurrence:
ZOMZ MP 12x40 / 20x60 mono
Kowa TSN-3

Joachim

Last edited:
Zeiss Victory T*FL 7x42
Kowa Genesis Prominar 8.5x44 - trying to sell this one, though
Bausch & Lomb Elite Waterproof 10x42
Leupold BX-3 Mojave 8x42

Will probably need to get something to replace the 10x42 B&L soon...

Justin

Here is an updated list of all binos I have ever owned.

I'm a little embarrassed about how many. My very first bin (Yosemite 6x30)
was purchased probably in 2009 or earlier.

Currently , I have just 3 out of this list:

Porro

Leupold Yosemite 6x30 - 3 – 4 yrs (donated to Audubon center)
Leupold Yosemite 8x30 – less than 1yr (gave to friend)
Opticron Savannah 6x30 – 1+ yrs (still own)
Zeiss Jenoptem 8x30 – 3 yrs (still own)
Nikon SE 8x32 – less than 1yr (sold)
Olympus PC III 7x21 – 3+ yrs (gave to friend)

Roof

Leupold Katmai 8x32 – 3 yrs (sold and then regretted it later)
Leupold Katmai 6x32 – 1+ yrs (Sold: wanted to keep it, but super stiff focus wheel in cold weather; Leupold couldn't fix it for me)
Leupold Cascade 7x42 – 2+ yrs (Donated to Audubon center)
Swarovski CL 8x30 – 1+ yr (Sold: needed bigger EP - I just began wearing eyeglasses).
Minox BL BR 8x42 - less than 1yr (Sold: never really needed it...impulse buy)
Opticron Traveller 6x32 – less than 1yr (Sold: focus was way too fast)
Leica Trinovid 8x42 – less than 1yr (Very nice , but became way too heavy for me on long days out)
Opticron Countryman HD 8x42 – 1+ yrs (still own and use as my primary bin for bird watching)

Someday I want to find one good all-around birding bino to keep for good. I don't feel the Opticron CM 8x42 is it although
it is a nice bino and gets the job done.
I will keep it for another year or so or until I can find a good (and hopefully permanent) replacement.

Last edited:
Only one until I found this site!! Now I own a Viper HD in 8x42, A Nikon Prostaff7s in 8x30, and a pair of non HD Viper in 8.5x50 are incoming. This addiction is worse than collecting acoustic instruments!! lol
Charlie

1. Swarovski 8x25 CL Pocket, for hiking during cloudy/dim/forest conditions.
2. Leica 10x25 Ultravid HD, for hiking in bright conditions, or long-range (western U.S.) views.

3. Nikon 8x32 SE, general purpose short-range viewing in bright conditions.
4. Swarovski 8x30 W GA, waterproof back-up for the SE.
5. Zeiss 7x42 Victory FL, general purpose short-range viewing in dim conditions.

6. Kowa 10x33 Genesis Prominar, general purpose long-range in bright conditions.
7. Swarovski 10x50 SV, general purpose long-range in dim conditions.

8. Leupold 6x32 Yosemite, for stadium use.
9. Meopta 6.5x32 Meopro, for stadium use.

10. Canon 12x36 IS II, for no real reason at all, other than it's fun.

11. Oberwerk 20x100 Astronomical, for - oddly enough - astronomical use.

12 - 16. Nikon 8x30 M7, Leupold 10x32 Mojave, Leupold 7x42 Hawthorne, Leupold 8x42 McKinley, Olympus 8x40 EXPSI, as loaner/truck/SUV binoculars.

Orphans -- Nikon 10x42 EDG II, Bushnell 7x26 Elite Custom Compact, Nikon 8x32 EII, Sightron 8x32 SII Blue Sky.

The wife uses a Swarovski 8x25 CL-P, Zen-Ray 7x36 ED2, and a Zeiss 8x32 Conquest HD.

Only one until I found this site!! Now I own a Viper HD in 8x42, A Nikon Prostaff7s in 8x30, and a pair of non HD Viper in 8.5x50 are incoming.
Similar here.

I've owned a set of Nikon Action 7x35 Naturalist IIIs since the mid-1990s. These were bought as a much-better replacement for some compact bins (I recall Tasco, but they might have been Bushnell) which were stolen (and weren't much chop in the first place).

Earlier this year I bought a set of relatively inexpensive Celestron Oceana 7x50 boating bins for a boating trip, since I didn't much rate the chance of my Nikons surviving the inevitable salt-water encounters. They were adequate to the (rather once-off) task, did hit salt water and did survive. However, they made me notice that optical coatings have come a long way since my Naturalist IIIs were produced.

That set me on a search for something more modern than my Nikons, which led me here and resulted in my buying Zeiss 8x42 Terra EDs and Vortex 8x28 Diamondbacks. I've subsequently bought a 2nd set of 8x28 Diamondbacks (one for travel and the camera bag, one to keep in the car) and (just arrived) a set of Pentax 6.5x21 Papillos (for close-up stuff) and a Sightron 8x32 SII Blue Sky (just to see what the fuss is about). I don't know if I'll keep either or both of the Pentax or Sightron - too early to tell.

By my count, that makes it 7 bins, one of which is a duplicate.

I've also bought 8x28 Diamondbacks and Bushnell 6x30 NatureViews on behalf of friends (ordered on my account at B&H to avoid rip-off-Oz pricing).
This addiction is worse than collecting acoustic instruments!! lol
But please (I hope!) not as bad as collecting cameras and lenses :eek!:

...Mike

Last edited:
Will probably need to get something to replace the 10x42 B&L soon...

Justin

I guess you probably have more choice of brands on your side of the pond, Justin, than we do here.

These are my current 10s :

Byfield Recon 10x42, polarised binocular
Alpen Rainer HD ED 10x42, spare/loaner
Vanguard Endeavor ED II 10x42

and the departed :

Nikon Monarch ATB 10x42
Nikon SE 10x42
Bushnell Elite ED 10x42
Vortex Viper HD 10x42

I find the 8.5x spec very useful, and do admire the Kowa. It would be a great buy for someone.

Best wishes,

Optics are nice instruments dammit. Man-made equivalents to creations of nature, means of observation as well as observable objects.
I would buy a Collins Binocular Field Guide instantly. They make such guides from musical instruments to guns, why not optics?

Nice. What's that orange porro monocular?

It's a Russian, soviet era 5x25 monocular, a tiny thing, soviet copy of the Zeiss Jenna Turmon, quite sharp and a decent view but a little difficult to get good eye placement with the small eyepiece. It seemd a bit dark, but I took it apart (easy to dismantle) and cleaned it up and it made a big difference.

Optics are nice instruments dammit. Man-made equivalents to creations of nature, means of observation as well as observable objects.
I would buy a Collins Binocular Field Guide instantly. They make such guides from musical instruments to guns, why not optics?

It's a nice idea, I love books on optics, I have Dr Rohan's book and Hans Seeger's book, but it would be good to have something that covered the later 20th Century to the present.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back