• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice: Not too expensive toss in the pocket/bag compact binoculars? (1 Viewer)

I just bought a pair of Optician 10x25 Aspheric phase-coated used in great condition - arriving Tuesday. These are the last model before they changed to a thicker rubber armour coating and different focussing knob. Looking forward to trying them out.

Well, the Opticron 10x25 Aspherics arrived. Focus knob was stiffer than all my other bins. The image didn't have a uniform focus either. I guess that's why I got them at a reduced rate of £40 from the original asking of £75 on eBay... The seller accepts returns so they went back this morning. Although in pristine cosmetic condition I think these were either dropped or somehow compromised by heating or cold conditions.

Hi

I’m after the same thing you are. A pocket bino for hiking, climbing, cayaking and traveling. And I also live in Sweden (so I know about the struggle looking for used Big 3.)

I bought a Kowa SV II 8x25 a week ago and although I like the optics, the robustness and the “feel”, the decent FOV and the price, I will return it because of nausea I haven’t felt when using other binos. I am by no means an expert and can only compare the bino to a Zeiss VP that I returned due to it being bigger than I thought.

I’m thinking about purchasing a Trinovid (although I’m worried about the non waterproofness - anyone who can pitch in on this? - and price.) The other option is a Opticron 8x24 Traveller but can’t seem to find any reviews about this binocular. The specs look amazing and the size seem perfect. However, I don’t know much about the brand.

Have you looked at the Opticron Traveller or the Opticron Aspheric 3 8x25?

Hi

I’m after the same thing you are. A pocket bino for hiking, climbing, cayaking and traveling. And I also live in Sweden (so I know about the struggle looking for used Big 3.)

I bought a Kowa SV II 8x25 a week ago and although I like the optics, the robustness and the “feel”, the decent FOV and the price, I will return it because of nausea I haven’t felt when using other binos. I am by no means an expert and can only compare the bino to a Zeiss VP that I returned due to it being bigger than I thought.

I’m thinking about purchasing a Trinovid (although I’m worried about the non waterproofness - anyone who can pitch in on this? - and price.) The other option is a Opticron 8x24 Traveller but can’t seem to find any reviews about this binocular. The specs look amazing and the size seem perfect. However, I don’t know much about the brand.

Have you looked at the Opticron Traveller or the Opticron Aspheric 3 8x25?

Hi, I actually had pretty much settled for the Kowa SV II 8x25 or 10x25 after trying it out in a local store. Then, before I could pull the trigger and much to my surprise, I actually was given the Kowa SV II 8x25 as a birthday present. Bought from the same local brick and mortar shop where I tested it, which is nice. :)

Because of Swedish winter weather I haven't tried it out much yet other than watching the birds at the feeder from a window, but so far I am very happy with it. I am a little bit torn, as 10x magnification would be nice, but I also now see what people mean when they mention blackouts and a bit fiddly to get correct eye placement with a smaller pair of binos. Maybe a 10x model in the future as a complement / alternative.

The thing I actually miss most compared with my old trusty no name 8x32 is the "quick focus lever", but from what I can see that feature is totally out of fashion and I have not seen it on any makers newer models. I guess it gives less focus precision, but I never found that to be a problem, for me.

I would buy the Optician 8x24 Traveller at a place you can return them if you don't like them. I bought a new pair of Barr and Stroud 10x25 Series 5 to test - they arrived today and at first glance seem very good. As it's getting dark I'll test them out properly another day. They are almost exactly the same size as my Viking Kestrel 10x25 which I like very much. I got them for £72 after a £10 Ebay discount for buying on the mobile app - an amazing bargain! Neil English liked them very much; see his review here: Product Review: Barr & Stroud Series 5 8 x 25 Pocket Binocular. | Neil English.net Ironically he said he didn't like the Kowa SV II 8x25 which was an alternative for me in the budget price range.

Nosfedamu:
Im happy you’re satisfied! I agree that it’s a little powerhouse for the price. Let me know what you think about it after using it for a while.

Julay:
Have you tried the Opticron Traveller? I’m surprised no one on this forum talks about due to its specs and price.

Having owned the Nikon Sportstar 8x25, I was so annoyed by the double-hinge and the eyecups that would never stay in place, that I finally sold them. Had the eyecups have a lockable position, I could have at least deal with the double hinge . But the countless number of times when I just see a bird coming out of a bush I put the binos in front of my eyes but one of the eyecup went back down, I have to pop it back up and of course by the time I did all that, the bird is long gone and I miss my observation… it enraged me so much that I was no longer using the pair.

I have not tried the Opticron Traveller 8x24 and sadly I have not seen a single proper review online! The Barr and Stroud 10x25 I bought were a step down in quality from my Viking Kestrels - but they were half the price! I would say for the price they are fine. But I expect I will be returning them shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back