• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice: Not too expensive toss in the pocket/bag compact binoculars? (3 Viewers)

Hi guys,

Looking to get a pair of cheapish, compact binoculars for causal walks and shorter treks.
Something you can just toss in the coat pocket or trekking backpack, something that holds up and is usable, but not a financial disaster, if it gets lost or breaks.
  • Somewhere at most €200, but better if not too much over €100.
  • 8x24 - 8x26
  • Under 300g /10.6 oz
  • possible to purchase from EU based shop
I narrowed contenders down to:

• Kowa 8x25 SV II
    • €140
    • Pros: Seems like a good all rounder
    • Cons: None that I can see, but "master of none"
  • Olympus 8x25 WP II
    • €120
    • Pros: Seems like good all rounder, like Kowa
  • Opticron 8x25 Oregon 4 LE WP
    • €100
    • Pros: Seems good all rounder + low price
    • Cons: Sigle hinge construction, not as compact when folded?
  • Nikon 8X25 Sportstar Ex
    • €130
    • Pros: Wide angle of view
    • Cons: 10mm eye relief, some forum complaints about quality issues, and not so great construction
  • Vortex 8x26 Vanquish
    • €150
    • Pros: Rugged, generally good reviews, larger lens
    • Cons: Largest, heaviest
But question is, is there any of these that have known issues, that I really should stay away from? Did I miss some obvious option in this class of compacts?

I know these are not Swarovskis or Leicas, and those are not really what I am looking for. But on the other hand, if there are any similar options in the €200 - €300 range that is a big improvement over my contenders, it is not off the table.

Edit:

Oh, and a bonus candidate I forgot, but not really up there with the rest (atm):
Steiner SAFARI ULTRASHARP 8x22
  • €140
  • Pros: Seems like good all rounder, some single websites rate them very highly, German made
  • Cons: Not that much information out there (that I found), looks a bit funny imho, scifi binoculars

Last edited:
Bynolyt Seagull 8x25ED maybe? Although at 230 euro it may fall outside your budget.

Hmm, from what I can find it is more like €300?
And at that price point I think I would open a whole new bag of ED glass options. 😅
But I mean if it is significantly better than any I listed above, as I said, it is not completely off the table...

If you have a certain size pocket in mind then it is worth trying the binoculars in the hand (and pocket) if possible. The raw specs rarely give one the actual fully folded size.

If you have a certain size pocket in mind then it is worth trying the binoculars in the hand (and pocket) if possible. The raw specs rarely give one the actual fully folded size.
Yes, good point.

The only ones that seems available to try locally around here are the Kowa and Nikon.
I will of course try them out, and buy locally, if I end up deciding on one of those. Just trying to make sure I have not missed any obvious "class leaders"..

Hi guys,

Looking to get a pair of cheapish, compact binoculars for causal walks and shorter treks.
Something you can just toss in the coat pocket or trekking backpack, something that holds up and is usable, but not a financial disaster, if it gets lost or breaks.
  • Somewhere at most €200, but better if not too much over €100.
  • 8x24 - 8x26
  • Under 300g /10.6 oz
  • possible to purchase from EU based shop
I narrowed contenders down to:

• Kowa 8x25 SV II
    • €140
    • Pros: Seems like a good all rounder
  • Olympus 8x25 WP II
    • €120
    • Pros: Seems like good all rounder, like Kowa
  • Opticron 8x25 Oregon 4 LE WP
    • €100
    • Pros: Seems good all rounder + low price
    • Cons: Sigle hinge construction, not as compact when folded?
  • Nikon 8X25 Sportstar Ex
    • €130
    • Pros: Wide angle of view
    • Cons: 10mm eye relief, some forum complaints about quality issues, and not so great construction
  • Vortex 8x26 Vanquish
    • €150
    • Pros: Rugged, generally good reviews, larger lens
    • Cons: Largest, heaviest
But question is, is there any of these that have known issues, that I really should stay away from? Did I miss some obvious option in this class of compacts?

I know these are not Swarovskis or Leicas, and those are not really what I am looking for. But on the other hand, if there are any similar options in the €200 - €300 range that is a big improvement over my contenders, it is not off the table.
I have the Olympus 8x25 WP II for which I paid £79.99. I find the eye placement easy for such a small bino, I fond it more than adequate for a carry anywhere bino. It slips in my camera bag, and this morning in between photographing various stream locos I was able to watch a charm of goldfinches descend on thistles, a sparrowhawk clutching an unfortunate rodent in its claws, various moths and butterflies. I have also used an Opticron Trailfinder 4 8x25 and 10x25, they are chunkier than the Olympus and a single hinge design as you say. I did have an Opticron Oregon 4 8x32 but did not find the view relaxed at all, with a distinct soft ring at the edge of the view

I have the Olympus 8x25 WP II for which I paid £79.99. I find the eye placement easy for such a small bino, I fond it more than adequate for a carry anywhere bino. It slips in my camera bag, and this morning in between photographing various stream locos I was able to watch a charm of goldfinches descend on thistles, a sparrowhawk clutching an unfortunate rodent in its claws, various moths and butterflies. I have also used an Opticron Trailfinder 4 8x25 and 10x25, they are chunkier than the Olympus and a single hinge design as you say. I did have an Opticron Oregon 4 8x32 but did not find the view relaxed at all, with a distinct soft ring at the edge of the view

Thanks for that short review, actual user feedback is sooo valuable when trying to choose!
Sounds like the Olympus should be a good candidate, just a bummer I can't seem to handle it before purchase.
But maybe just order it and make a return if not a good fit...

Oh, and a bonus candidate I forgot, but not really up there with the rest (atm):
  • €140
  • Pros: Seems like good all rounder, some single websites rate them very highly, German made
  • Cons: Not that much information out there (that I found), looks a bit funny imho, scifi binoculars

Hmm, from what I can find it is more like €300?
And at that price point I think I would open a whole new bag of ED glass options. 😅
But I mean if it is significantly better than any I listed above, as I said, it is not completely off the table...
Oh I can find it for 230.

Thanks for that short review, actual user feedback is sooo valuable when trying to choose!
Sounds like the Olympus should be a good candidate, just a bummer I can't seem to handle it before purchase.
But maybe just order it and make a return if not a good fit...

• €140

For context I have too many pocket bins. Have owned/currently own models from USD $55 up to UV, VP, and SW. In your price range the Ultrasharp 8x22 is very competitive in terms of overall IQ, somewhat better than I originally thought before paying closer attention to IP and diopter setting . Solid build quality and function on my sample are a step above most others in the range. Nice case and strap and I really like the soft fold down winged eye cups. ER is good for me including with glasses. Focus knob and function are excellent on mine. Highly individual of course but overall handling is outstanding for me in a bin of this size. Very attractive IMO when seen in person as opposed to photos. Do try them if you can.

Mike

Take a look at Hawke Endurance ED 8x25 (if available in Sweden).
They seem suitably robust and I think they are under your budget.
found them immediately comfortable but I must say my partner finds them a bit difficult to get comfortable with (she is not a fan of a dual hinge)

For context I have too many pocket bins. Have owned/currently own models from USD $55 up to UV, VP, and SW. In your price range the Ultrasharp 8x22 is very competitive in terms of overall IQ, somewhat better than I originally thought before paying closer attention to IP and diopter setting . Solid build quality and function on my sample are a step above most others in the range. Nice case and strap and I really like the soft fold down winged eye cups. ER is good for me including with glasses. Focus knob and function are excellent on mine. Highly individual of course but overall handling is outstanding for me in a bin of this size. Very attractive IMO when seen in person as opposed to photos. Do try them if you can.

Mike

Thanks, much appreciated. But you have not used any of the other ones I listed, for comparison?
And now I remember, one thing about it that made me a bit hesitant, unlike most other in the list it isn't waterproof (just protected) and not filled with nitrogen/argon, like the others. But then I am not sure how much of a downside that is in this price class?

Take a look at Hawke Endurance ED 8x25 (if available in Sweden).
They seem suitably robust and I think they are under your budget.
found them immediately comfortable but I must say my partner finds them a bit difficult to get comfortable with (she is not a fan of a dual hinge)

It is rare, but possible to buy. But unfortunately it is in the €230 to 300 range here from what I can find. And while not impossible in any way, it is a bit more than I planned to spend...

You're welcome.

Thanks, much appreciated. But you have not used any of the other ones I listed, for comparison?

And now I remember, one thing about it that made me a bit hesitant, unlike most other in the list it isn't waterproof (just protected) and not filled with nitrogen/argon, like the others. But then I am not sure how much of a downside that is in this price class?

Unfortunately no. Excluding the Safari, my closest experience with any pocket on the list is Opticron DBA OASIS WP in 8x21 and 10x25. Street price at the time $200+ and $300+. Now discontinued but still outstanding in every respect.

WP is better than not, but is down my list. The Leitz/Leica Trinovids 8x20, 10x22 and 10x25 dating back to the mid 90's IIRC, are not WP. No problems with any of mine, all bought used.

Mike

It is rare, but possible to buy. But unfortunately it is in the €230 to 300 range here from what I can find. And while not impossible in any way, it is a bit more than I planned to spend...
oh dear
they are £160 in the U.K.
good luck with your search

The Meopta MeoSport 8x25, possibly (2400 SEK == €200)? They are on the heavy side at 400g but reportedly very well-built.

In budget bins I'd go with Opticron for the warranty alone. Unfortunately they have shifted a lot of production/sourcing to China instead of Japan, with a corresponding 5 year instead of 30 year warranty.

I'd stay away from Steiner, too many reports of shoddy construction.

Consider also used premium binoculars.

Last edited:
I got for my birthday back in June a pair of Helios Nitrosport 8x42, not sure if they are available where you are, they also do 8x34 and 10x34 as well, mine cost 75GBP new from Rother Valley Optics, very pleased with them fully multicoated, nitrogen filled and a very clear, bright undistorted view. I've got a pair of Opticron's but prefer my Helios for the quality of view, the eyepiece adjustment is a twist four stop click and the diopter adjustment is quite stiff and not easily moved my mistake. Overall for the price I have found them very good and use them everyday during walks with my collie, with price increases they are now around 100GBP but still excellent value for money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back