• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice: Not too expensive toss in the pocket/bag compact binoculars? (5 Viewers)

They are a UK company from Suffolk.

Interesting statement on their brand I found on their website;

Viking Optical is now one of the foremost independent optical importers and distributors in the UK. Richard Bonnett formed Viking Optical in 1986 and acquired Newbold & Bulford Ltd – an optical importer that Richard was previously managing director for – 5 years later. In 1996, the company successfully tendered an exclusive optical partnership with the RSPB and 25 years later, it’s still flourishing to this day with similar partnerships having been secured.

Indeed the current RSPB 10x25 HD at £270 in a reserve I saw seemed very good but a bit bulky as single hinged. It bears a strong resemblance to the now discontinued Viking Ventura 10x25 which Neil English reviewed poorly.

pentax papillio
That's what I'd get. If I could stretch my budget I'd look for a good deal on a Zeiss Terra ED 8X25.

fullsizeoutput_1649.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8eb.jpeg

I agree with chill6x6 on the Zeiss Terra ED 8x25 or ED 10x25. They would be my first choice if I was looking for a budget pocket binocular, and I have tried just about all of them. They are much better than those other choices on your list. If you look around, you can find a nice used one for around $250 USD.

The 10x25 is much better in low light than the 8x25 because of the superior Twilight Factor. The higher magnification helps you see detail better, especially in low light. I compared an 8x25 to a 10x25 in low light once, and I will never buy an 8x25 again in a pocket binocular. The 10x25 without a doubt outperforms the 8x25. The extra .5 mm of exit pupil in the 8x25 is not enough to overcome the extra 2x magnification of the 10x25.

Last edited:
pentax papillio

That's what I'd get. If I could stretch my budget I'd look for a good deal on a Zeiss Terra ED 8X25.

Thanks,

Looking at just the specs it doesn't stand out to me other than the very close focus ability (0.5m). Ofc nice, but not sure how much it would be used.
Also it has 21mm front lenses, not sure how much it affects the light gathering abilities going from 25mm down to 21mm.
As it is more expensive than other options, I am curious why go with that one over the Kowa 8x25 or Olympus 8x25? Does Pentax have some secret sauce in the optics?

I agree with chill6x6 on the Zeiss Terra ED 8x25 or ED 10x25. They would be my first choice if I was looking for a budget pocket binocular, and I have tried just about all of them. They are much better than those other choices on your list. If you look around, you can find a nice used one for around $250 USD.

The 10x25 is much better in low light than the 8x25 because of the superior Twilight Factor. The higher magnification helps you see detail better, especially in low light. I compared an 8x25 to a 10x25 in low light once, and I will never buy an 8x25 again in a pocket binocular. The 10x25 without a doubt outperforms the 8x25. The extra .5 mm of exit pupil in the 8x25 is not enough to overcome the extra 2x magnification of the 10x25.

Really valuable info, I read so many recommend not going above 8x in a pocket camera because of stability. But I will have your input in mind, and hopefully I can find a local store with some different brands and magnification options.

The bad part is, the used market here in Sweden is very small, and people tend to put prices far above what is reasonable for used equipment. Back when being more active in photography, UK used marked was a great thing, but untortunately not anymore, after they left EU.
I will look around at the usual places for used equipment, but not very hopeful :)

Are these available in USA outlets somewhere? All the vendors seem UK.
Viking is a British brand so I think not available outside UK and possibly Ireland. A couple of months ago I bought them and the Zeiss Terra 10x25. The Viking's image is 95% as good as the Zeiss - there is a tiny amount of pincushion distortion which I only noticed when looking square on at a window frame opposite. They feel like a precision instrument. Sadly the focus knob is heavier to turn than my fifteen year old Opticron 10x25 Asphericals. The Zeiss are also heavier to turn which is a major disappointment. My quest to find compact 10x25 binoculars which have a very light and buttery smooth focus knob continues. The Zeiss also feel plasticky which i don't like either.

Viking is a British brand so I think not available outside UK and possibly Ireland. A couple of months ago I bought them and the Zeiss Terra 10x25. The Viking's image is 95% as good as the Zeiss - there is a tiny amount of pincushion distortion which I only noticed when looking square on at a window frame opposite. They feel like a precision instrument. Sadly the focus knob is heavier to turn than my fifteen year old Opticron 10x25 Asphericals. The Zeiss are also heavier to turn which is a major disappointment. My quest to find compact 10x25 binoculars which have a very light and buttery smooth focus knob continues. The Zeiss also feel plasticky which i don't like either.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

Regarding your compact binocular journey, have you given the nikon 10x25 hgl a shot? I'm not sure about the focuser play but keep in mind the focuser is on the front of the binocular with these.

Of the binoculars on your original list, I'll offer a vote for the Kowa. Super little binocular, despite it's low price tag, which (to me) feels like a more premium instrument in the hand than the price reflects. Decent optics.

That's just my perception.

If you don't wear glasses, I'll also give a shout out to the Tasco Offshore 8x25 Waterproof, available for just £35 here in the UK, from Uttings. A proper little binocular which punches way above that price point.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Regarding your compact binocular journey, have you given the nikon 10x25 hgl a shot? I'm not sure about the focuser play but keep in mind the focuser is on the front of the binocular with these.
The Nikons weigh 316 grams which is even heavier than my Vikings or Zeiss and the front focussing puts me off. I considered the Swarovski 10x25CL but they are even heavier at 350 g and super expensive.

Regarding the 8x25 vs 10x25 discussion, bear in mind the different FOVs.
Yup, this is what I got stuck thinking about. For my use cases - mostly stationary birds at a distance, or identifying a mushroom 20 meters off the path and such, the extra magnification would for sure come in handy. But it is hard to imagine how much worse it would be with regards to stability, dark spots, finicky eye placements and slightly worse low light capabilities if I understand it correctly.

Best would be to test out in person, but hard around here to find stores that carries both variants from same brand. A bit wary about comparing 8x25s and 10x25s from different brands, as I guess then you might compare brand differences rather than differences between magnifications.

I think greater magnification would really fit my uses better. But not sure if the drawbacks with 10x25 in cheaper price class would take some of the joy out of using them.
Of the binoculars on your original list, I'll offer a vote for the Kowa. Super little binocular, despite it's low price tag, which (to me) feels like a more premium instrument in the hand than the price reflects. Decent optics.

That's just my perception.

If you don't wear glasses, I'll also give a shout out to the Tasco Offshore 8x25 Waterproof, available for just £35 here in the UK, from Uttings. A proper little binocular which punches way above that price point.

Thanks, the Kowa's are at the top of my list with The Olympus. Was it the 8x25 or 10x25 you tried out?

The Nikons weigh 316 grams which is even heavier than my Vikings or Zeiss and the front focussing puts me off. I considered the Swarovski 10x25CL but they are even heavier at 350 g and super expensive.
The new maven 10x25 weigh also around the same weight. What's interesting is that the 8x20 nikon hgl are 290g.

Yup, this is what I got stuck thinking about. For my use cases - mostly stationary birds at a distance, or identifying a mushroom 20 meters off the path and such, the extra magnification would for sure come in handy. But it is hard to imagine how much worse it would be with regards to stability, dark spots, finicky eye placements and slightly worse low light capabilities if I understand it correctly.

Best would be to test out in person, but hard around here to find stores that carries both variants from same brand. A bit wary about comparing 8x25s and 10x25s from different brands, as I guess then you might compare brand differences rather than differences between magnifications.

I think greater magnification would really fit my uses better. But not sure if the drawbacks with 10x25 in cheaper price class would take some of the joy out of using them.

Thanks, the Kowa's are at the top of my list with The Olympus. Was it the 8x25 or 10x25 you tried out?
Have you considered a monocular? I have a 7x42 and an 8x42 and prefer them to compact binoculars due to better low light performance.

The 8x25's, bought them for my old man (who's 93 years old). I use them every time I go to their house and I'm always blown away by how good they are at that price point. I'm not familiar with the 10x25's.

I do think the entire Kowa range offers exceptional value for money, and I'm yet to pick up and use a Kowa instrument I'm not impressed with.

You may be aiming at two different products, compacts and pockets. For compacts, the number and variety of choices is immense. For true pockets not so much. If the golden standard enclose the Curio, Leica Trinovid and Ultravid, Kowa Genesis... the issue is to get an affordable substitute for them. Double hinge, 7 or 8 by 20 to 22. IMHO, 25s are in the compact category, although those with double hinge can be also considered. I own a Curio, and have been trying to get a replacement for whenever I don't want to risk it (sand, salt.....) I gave a try to the Steiner Safari, did not reach the optical quality I needed, Steiner Bluehorizons, better than the Safari, but strange tinted view, then the Kowa 8x25. Decent product, but strange hinges, not able to fully fold, narrow focal depth. I am giving a try to the Hawke 8x22 after being very impressed with the 7x32 Marine.
1702138905961.jpeg
1702138943759.jpeg

The Pentax Papilio II binoculars already mentioned are 8x21 and focus down to a subject distance of only 18 inches. They weigh only 10.2 ounces and sell for less than $150. With their close focus capabilities they work well for non avian subjects where image magnification is valuable.

@julay

Short version. If you can't try before you buy, I vote you buy them and return if they don't work for you. Based on my experience with Opticron pockets and small 32x they are excellent for the price and (usually included) accessories to boot. if you buy and try at home, don't unpackaged the accessories or use them until you decide to buy.

Looking at the specs and photos in the link the BGA 8x24 looks like an 8x25 packed into an 8x20 body. If you intend to EDC in every day pockets , this would be a big plus. Also it looks like the eyecups flare out towards the top, which is a brilliant idea given the drawbacks of narrow eyecups on pockets.

Just my "tuppence".

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back