• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7D2 vs 1D4 (1 Viewer)

Unfortunately I am unable to delete my previous comment. I don't think it's any use to you Tim. Should have read your earlier comments about not being interested in taking quality photographs.

I don't honestly think either camera will make any difference to your style of photography. :)

I have been having distance shots problems with my sigma 150-600 and 70d to the point that I,m ready to launch the camera ,it's not the lens as I have no problems with my 1d3 with it , sat on the fence over getting a 7d2 if it suffers the same sensor cramming effect ,really frustrating

I too have had good long lens results with a 1D3 (and now by its replacement, a 1D4) as well as a 7D. I'm wondering whether this linked article might throw some light on your problem?
http://www.imaging-resource.com/new...-autofocus-secrets-of-the-canon-70d-explained

Or is the problem that with the higher pixel densities, the 70D is showing up the limits of your lens when used towards its 600mm setting? On the sensor, 244 pixels/linear mm for the 70D vs 138 pixels/mm for the 1D3. I assume that you've optimised the AF Micro-Adjust at around the range you're shooting at.

Back to the original question - is anyone able to compare AF and noise between 1D4 and 7D2 please?

Thanks.
I have not used the 1D4 as you know Tim but from everything I have read they are fairly close as far as high ISO noise levels go - somewhere between the original 7D and a full frame Cams like the 5D3.
One thing I have found with the 7D2 is that any noise there is seems to clean-up easier/better than the original 7D for some reason. Although the noise is there (if you use a high ISO and/or crop very heavily) it seems to be not as coarse as the original 7D if that makes sense.

Unfortunately I am unable to delete my previous comment. I don't think it's any use to you Tim. Should have read your earlier comments about not being interested in taking quality photographs.

I don't honestly think either camera will make any difference to your style of photography. :)

LOL.

I have not used the 1D4 as you know Tim but from everything I have read they are fairly close as far as high ISO noise levels go - somewhere between the original 7D and a full frame Cams like the 5D3.
One thing I have found with the 7D2 is that any noise there is seems to clean-up easier/better than the original 7D for some reason. Although the noise is there (if you use a high ISO and/or crop very heavily) it seems to be not as coarse as the original 7D if that makes sense.

Thanks Roy, that's good to know.

Well I've had my 7D2 for a couple of weeks and I'm very happy with it. My impression is that the AF is fast and accurate and I'm getting more detailed pictures when I crop heavily. I generally use it at ISO 800 or under which is what I do with the 1D4. I really like the much quieter shutter.

Almost out of habit I bought a grip with it for balance with my long lenses and to extend shooting time. I'm surprised now to find that the 1D4 feels smaller and lighter than the 7D2 with grip so I might ditch the grip.

The 1D4 seems to be getting used more for macro and short range stuff and the 7D2 for long range and flight photography.

No science here but this are my initial impressions.

7D2 AF is brilliant

In case there was any doubt about the AF ability of this camera, photographing damselflies in flight over bright water was quite a challenge.

Attachments

• common blue damselfly enallagma cyathigerum 3.jpg
    common blue damselfly enallagma cyathigerum 3.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 193
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back