• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars - some advice please. (1 Viewer)

Folks,

I'm sure the question has been asked a thousand times before but i really am confused by the choices and terminology used.

I've recently started watching nature, primarily deer which means alot of time spent at dawn and dusk. I need a decent pair of binoculars but am on a limited budget.

Now i've read good reviews on the Minox HG 8x43 BR 'Made in Germany' which falls into my budget (£600 pounds sterling) but have since found Minox APO HG 8.5x43 BR binoculars for a similar price. What's the difference and which is better for my needs?

Also, is there another set which is 'better' or more suitable for my needs?

I'm grateful for any advice.

Marc,

I fall into the camp that has been confused with the Minox terminology over the years. In this case I believe the primary difference is that the APO version uses ED glass in the objective design while the regular HG does not. Both are excellent binoculars. I have tried one of the HG configurations and found it to be excellent minus the narrow field of view (compared to other manufacturer's models of similar configuration). I believe they also somewhat rectified that issue with the APO HG version.

As for other suggestions I am not sure what is available in your neck of the woods. One that I commonly seen suggested more often than not is to look in the used/demo market for one of the Alpha models from Zeiss, Leica, Nikon or Swarovski. You can often find their previous flagship models (Trinovid, Ultravid non-HD, EL or HG) at very reasonable prices.

If you spend a lot of time at dawn and dusk and are under 50 I would suggest something with a bigger exit pupil, a 7x40 or 8x50 perhaps. Get yourself to a shop where you can actually try out varies sizes and models, the ergonomics of a binocular can play as big a role as the optics.

Folks,

I'm sure the question has been asked a thousand times before but i really am confused by the choices and terminology used.

I've recently started watching nature, primarily deer which means alot of time spent at dawn and dusk. I need a decent pair of binoculars but am on a limited budget.

Now i've read good reviews on the Minox HG 8x43 BR 'Made in Germany' which falls into my budget (£600 pounds sterling) but have since found Minox APO HG 8.5x43 BR binoculars for a similar price. What's the difference and which is better for my needs?

Also, is there another set which is 'better' or more suitable for my needs?

I'm grateful for any advice.

As far as I'm aware the apo 8.5x43 are the older made in Japan version. The newer MIG APO version is made in just the 8x or 10x mag.

I had a pair of the 8x43 hg's(not apo) and they were excellent. I read a review somewhere that the price difference between the MIG Apo and MIG HG wasnt worth the difference and the recommendation was to go for the hg and save yourself a few bob.

I think all the naming confusion has come from the switchover of the production from Japan to Germany. However Minox could have/should have renamed the newer HG's something different to avoid confusion with the older 'Made in Japan' versions.

But In my opinion the award for terrible nomenclature goes to Nikon with its monarch range and naming the same binocular differently depending on whereabouts on the globe you happen to reside.
Ger.

If you don't need 'alpha' quality optics save some money and go for Eden or Hawke or one of the RSPB HD models and spend the rest on a bridge camera to record what you see!!

Russ

I have the German 8x43 HG and APO HG but I've never seen the Japanese APO HG.

If you can get both for the same price I'm sure the ED glass in the APO will have some less CA (Chromatic Aberration) and also better textures on objects. For example, much better detail on feathers and their subtle colors or trees, etc. On in your case, fur on deer. Anything with fine detail will have more visible with ED glass. Some people also say it's brighter but I'm not sure as both Minox bins I have are darn bright.

But if you want a fair amount better field of view and possibly better contrast (I think I heard they might have improved their coatings, but don't quote me on it) try the German HG.

Ideally (and if you can) I'd say compare them both yourself & send one packing... It's really the only way to know for sure.

Last edited:
Since you're not using the bin for hunting, a non-WP or WP but not submersible porro will work.

For dawn and dusk, twilight factor kicks in, so a 10x will show you more detail, provided you can hold it steady. For many people, 8.5x is the best compromise possible and so is 44, which gives you a bit more light while not adding a lot more weight.

And as eluded to above, if you can use a 6mm or 7mm exit pupil, there's little point in carrying the extra weight although the longer FL will reduce some aberrations, but for your purposes, that seems less important than light grasp (that you can actually use) and high light transmission.

Light transmission numbers are hard to come by. The best porros beat the best roofs in that regard, but the gap is narrowing with dielectric prism coatings and the latest and greatest gazillion layer AR coatings on roofs.

If you are "under 40," a Docter 8x56 will soak up photons like a Bounty paper towel sucks up water. I had a "aus Jena" (Zeiss East) 8x50 Octarem, and even though it only had MC not fully multicoatings, I swear there was a tiny gremlin inside the bin shining a flashlight on whatever I looked at. Doctor bought Jena and their porro designs are very similar, but with FMCs. Unfortunately, they no longer make the 8x50 model, which had a 7.4* FOV. The 8x56 model has a 6.3* FOV, which is a bit restrictive, IMO.

I used the 8x50s to look at nocturnal flying squirrels, owls, possum, and other night critters and they worked very well for that purpose.

The Doctor 8x56 has large objectives and high light transmission (the numbers on allbinos might be a bit exaggerated, but they are still up there). Not sure what they cost on your side of the pond, here they are within your price range ($900).

Here's a review:

http://www.allbinos.com/81-binoculars_review-Docter_Nobilem_8x56_B_GA.html

If you like the Minox brand, you might be able to find a pair of their 8x44 porros. Lighter weight than the Doctors, and half the price or less. Still high light transmission.

The 8x44's FOV is also a bit restricted (6.3*) but so are the much more expensive Japanese made Minox HGs, particularly as you go up in aperture.

I haven't tried this model, but I did try a Leupold 8x42 Cascade porro, which is similar in design (internal focus like roofs). No sucking in dust, pollen, and cat hairs.

On the roof side, the 8.5x44 Kowa Genesis is ranked #1 by allbinos in the 8.5x44-45 category. It has ED glass for extra contrast, which is something you want in low light conditions. A wider FOV at 7*. But Beware of the Rolling Ball. These binoculars have low pincushion distortion, so for some people, they will produce a curvature in the image that will result in a strange perception while panning with the bin.

IOW, these you'd want to try out before buying or buy from a store with a generous return period since it might take a few days to adapt to the "rolling ball effect". I haven't tried these bins, but I am very familiar with "rolling ball" but also with the boost in contrast and color saturation that ED glass provides. If you go for the Minox, choose the "APO" version for this reason.

These are a bit over your budget, $1,200-$1,300 in the US.

Here's allbinos review of the Genesis:
http://www.allbinos.com/156-binoculars_review-Kowa_Genesis_8.5x44.html

Here's Holger's review of the same bin (Prominar XD and "Genesis" are the same bins):

http://www.holgermerlitz.de/kowa85x44.html

Here's Renze's product review on BF:

http://www.birdforum.net/reviews/showproduct.php/product/240

Another user review:

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1754

Not trying to push the Genesis, but there are more reviews of them. Try to read more than one review of the bin you're interested in since no matter what the numbers say, people see things differently and some reviews can reveal aspects of the bins that another review might ignore.

For example, no mention of "rolling ball" in the Genesis on allbinos, only praise for its low distortion whereas Holger's review mentions it.

Some bins you can put up to your eyes and know right then and there they aren't for you. Too heavy, don't feel right in your hands, uncomfortable eyecups, too much "distortion" at the edges (pincushion or field curvature or astigmatism), not enough pincushion, they smell funny!

Other times, you have to live with the bins for a few days or weeks before knowing if they are keepers. In your particular case, you need to use them at dawn and dusk to find out what's what.

Also check out Meopta Meostars in the 8x56 model ~ £800.

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back