• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello, new here (1 Viewer)

KDJACKSON

Hello I'm Kelly and I'm new here. Me and my husband live in Chatteris, Cambridgeshire.

We have a nest that has appeared in a plant pot in our greenhouse over the last 10 days or so. Eggs have started to appear the last few days. One egg has appeared each day and this morning there were 3 eggs, but no mum about. So I assume a 4th egg will appear at some point today. I have spotted mum and I believe she is a thrush, not sure if she is a song thrush or a mistle thrush. I'm hoping someone here can tell me.

I've read that both thrush types are on the RSPB 'red alert' list as a declining breed. So I would like to know what I can do to help this little mother and her chicks survive.

Attachments

• nest2.jpg
    nest2.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 49
  • nest1.jpg
    nest1.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 57
hi kelly
you can rule out song thrush eggs they are sky blue with black spots to me they look like blackbird eggs but mistle thrush are similar to blackbird but have more like blotcheson them if youve seen the bird and it has a spotted breast then its a mistle thrush remember female blackbird is brown incolour hope that helps you
martin

Hi Kelly and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

In your garden I think it is more likely to be a Blackbird, they have a spotted breast but are generally very brown. You can read more about them HERE in our Opus article. She won't begin incubating until the clutch is complete.

They generally make their nests deep inside hedges, though I have occasionally seen them in more open areas such as this. Please let us know how they get on.

Meanwhile, I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

Hi Kelly

Yes definitely a Blackbird. The long tail is a dead giveaway. Good luck to her, and her breeding attempt.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

I thought you might like to see the little baby blackbirds now they've hatched this week.
I'll be watching to see how they develop. :)

Attachments

• baby birds.jpg
    baby birds.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 45
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back