• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 800mm in development (1 Viewer)

i dont see 6m as being a problem my 500f4 can get a nice image of say a starling at 3or4m so an 800 at 6m should be fine .
Rob.

Starling is a pretty big bird, GYRob, more so if you are using a 1 Series or 5D body.

Keith and Adey: I'm sure that the physics have to do with the decision; I'd be very surprised to discover that it is as easy to make such a lens with a 2m MFD as a 6m MFD, keeping all other factors the same - but in the end, we need only remember that a simple extension tube works perfectly: i.e., all that is needed is to move the lens a bit further away from the film plane. If that needs a bit of fancy mechanical engineering to make the lens extend in length as you approach the MFD, so be it. It couldn't cost more than a few hundred dollars, and people like me would simply grit their teeth and pay an extra thousand ..... these things are so expensive already that the price just about stops mattering after a certain point.

I think its horses for courses with this lens; if you are prepared to wait within a hide targeting distance birds or a selected habitat then it's ideal.

I don’t think it is a mobile lens for the chance encounter with a Dartford Warbler on a walk.

Hello All....
I dont think there is much I can say on the 800mm ...except I eagerly await its arrival.. if it turns out to be a nice lens (which Im sure it will) ill put my 600 on sale and buy one... as for the MFD.. on my 1 series body the 5.5m isnt close enough to fill the frame satisfactorily with a small bird, say a small tit or a robin for example and requires a close up ring fitted... but that does limit you long focus capabilities..
As far as I understand it the MFD is pure mathematics ... ...you cannot reduce the MFD without either extending the distance between the front and rear elements, Hence making the lens longer.. or the elements bigger (both in diameter and thickness).....there is always a sacrafice..

I agree with Nigel an 800 f4 would be far more tempting, I think I'll stick with my 600 + 1.4 for now. I also would be impressed if canon would bring out a 1.7x converter which would still focus on the non 1D series, and it would open up a whole lot more possibilities for the 500/600 users. What do you think ?
500mm = 850mm + 1.6 crop factor = 1360mm (instead of 1120mm with 1.4x)
600mm = 1020mm + 1.6 crop factor = 1632mm (instead of 1344)mm with 1.4x)

of course it would cost you about 1/3 of a stop above the 1.4 times but at least is wouldn't be as soft as the 2x

cheers

Jamie

I agree with Nigel an 800 f4 would be far more tempting, I think I'll stick with my 600 + 1.4 for now. I also would be impressed if canon would bring out a 1.7x converter which would still focus on the non 1D series, and it would open up a whole lot more possibilities for the 500/600 users. What do you think ?
500mm = 850mm + 1.6 crop factor = 1360mm (instead of 1120mm with 1.4x)
600mm = 1020mm + 1.6 crop factor = 1632mm (instead of 1344)mm with 1.4x)

of course it would cost you about 1/3 of a stop above the 1.4 times but at least is wouldn't be as soft as the 2x

cheers

Jamie
I Just bought a 40d to get the 1.6 crop back on my 500mm as it can be a bit short on the mk3 (650mm) 800mm with 1.6
Rob.

Yes I know what you mean, my DS is full frame. I'm well impressed with my 40D though, especially as it has 25% more pixels than the 30D. Which is almost like having the 30D with a 1.7x. I must admit though I find a 1/2 frame DS shot is still better than a full frame 30/40D shot

I look forward to seeing the specs on this lens. Unlike a previous poster, I think this might be the ideal walkabout birding lens, as if its anything like the sigma 800mm, it should be lighter than the 600 F4.

A good point Andy I have so much hassle getting my sigmonster on board flights(although I always sweet talk it on eventually) that i ended up buying a Pelicase for it. Now it goes on as sports equipment. It was worth the extra £15 baggage fee for the hassle free travel.

The case holds my three elephoto lenses and two camera bodies. Yep everything is insured So if the new canon 800 is of similar size this might be the only way of taking it abroad.

Perhaps I misundertand my physics but I think a 800mm fl f/4 scope would require a clear aperture of 200mm and weigh as much as a small motorcycle.

Perhaps you do indeed, the Pentax 67, 800mm f4 weighs in at 17.7 Kg and is 236 mm in diameter and 611mm long

Last edited:
I assumed we were talking about 35mm telephotos - this is a medium format lens for the Pentax 67 body.

It's equivalent 35mm focal length is 400mm.

Go here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/40784-REG/Pentax_29434_SMCT_67_800mm_f_4_Lens.html

It will be an 800mm on a 35mm body as that is the focal length, it is equivalent to 400mm on on the 6cm x 7cm body due to the larger format size, in the same way that a 400mm is equivalent to 640mm on a c type sensor digital, upon which this 800mm would be the same as 1280mm

I have posted this info on the other 800MM post but thought I would add it here also.
Lou
800MM and Canon 20D
As for the new 800MM from Canon as I see it. First a very special lens and one I don’t think will be able to be used (but by the mightiest) off a monopod and will require a tripod all the time as I do with my second Sigma 800MM. A bird in flight off a tripod is always a trip over a leg here or there and a chance of dumping the entire thing. Now I am sure that the Canon version will be of better glass and with IS on it perform better than the Sigma but I have to look at the places you can go and the distance shooting how the quality will be is worth trading your 500 or 600 for it. Many years ago Nikon produced an 800MF lens and it was and still is (for the ones remaining) a brute. I am placing two links taken at the Conowingo Dam in Maryland to the island base and than one to the top of the power cable tower. Both are from my Sigma 800MM with a Canon 20D on the end of it and are the raw file right out of the camera full frame (just converted and resized), nothing else at all done to them. I am told to the top of the tower is about 1200 feet. I have found the Sigma 800MM to be a valued tool in my monitoring of our eagle nesting here in N.Y. but I also am finding that my Canon 500 with a 1.4 and the new 40D on it produce excellent long photos. I also urge all who are thinking of dumping there 500MM & 600MM to consider the tripod needed for the new 800MM as it could be that a new one will be needed. I am using a converted hard maple wooden surveyors tripod for mine. I think I will be looking for one of those Canon 600ISF4 for myself. Bottom line on my 800MM is I get great info photos on the nesting birds as I am always about 500 to 600 feet from them. O yeah, plan on keeping it as not to many other people are that interested in a glass that size.
Lou
1 http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2060/2189855220_e888e316a8_o.jpg

2 http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2355/2189067745_6af5b77ced_o.jpg
PS
I have never had any really good success with adding a TE to the 800 as it seems to start picking up a lot of junk in the air we normally don’t see. Also like the idea of GY Rob about the 1.7 TE

Some info from the Canon website:

"The EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM will be available from June 2008 priced at £8999.99 RRP inc. VAT / €13299.99 inc. VAT"

EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM:

* 4-stop Image Stabilizer with 2 modes
* 2 x fluorite, 1 x UD and 1 x super UD lens elements
* Ring type USM auto focus with fulltime manual override
* Circular aperture diaphragm for pleasing background blur
* Supra Spectra coatings to reduce ghosting and flare
* Magnesium alloy body – 4.5kg

Link

4.5kg...so more or less in between the 500 and 600mm weight-wise. Hmmm. I assume the street price will drop in a year or two or when supply matches demand.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back