• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SF and HT 8X42 (1 Viewer)

Ok...

I'd probably flip a coin between a SV 8.5X42 and an SF 8X42.

I'm sure by now you are aware of the differences between the two. I'd probably be more inclined to go with the SV for an all purpose binocular. If you are in a situation where you might like a little more FOV you have that covered with the MHG and the FL 8X32.

Given the binos that you have already, I agree with Chuck, with one proviso. If you enjoy observing behaviour of birds, animals or whatever, for extended periods (as opposed to lifting your bins, identifying the subject and then lowering your bins) then I don't think anything beats Zeiss's SF because of their unique shifting of the centre of balance that puts their weight inside your hand. The bonus is that the 8x has a whacking great field of view and good edge sharpness too.

Lee

Given the binos that you have already, I agree with Chuck, with one proviso. If you enjoy observing behaviour of birds, animals or whatever, for extended periods (as opposed to lifting your bins, identifying the subject and then lowering your bins) then I don't think anything beats Zeiss's SF because of their unique shifting of the centre of balance that puts their weight inside your hand.

Any well-made 8x bin with similar optics that is 200 gr lighter will beat the SF for observations over extended periods.

Hermann

Any well-made 8x bin with similar optics that is 200 gr lighter will beat the SF for observations over extended periods.

Hermann

Good point Hermann, but I was talking in the context of the 42mm binos I have tried and choosing between the two Chuck was talking about. But in any case SFs with their wide fov, quality of view and point of balance are a compelling and unique proposition for me.

Lee

Last edited:
I guess the question is more - what do you want, the absolutely best view or nearly so with less weight. My HT is clearly better than Conquest HD but I often take the Conquest because it is smaller, lighter and more travel-friendly. That said, I am aware of what I am missing when using it but this rarely detracts from the experience.

"I'd probably be more inclined to go with the SV for an all purpose binocular."

Chuck, why?

Some of the things he wrote pointed me in that direction....

So I have my 8X32 format down
OR I would have suggested a SV 8X32 as an alternative...

I am looking for an 8X42 which could be versatile, carry a decent warranty, built like the seasoned Nikon HG, put together like the Nikon MHG and have a side FOV that is sharp to the edge of view.
What's the most versatile 8ishX42 in the business? Superior customer/warranty support? Built like a tank with the sharpest of views right to the edge? SV 8.5X42.

I am Just looking for one more 8X42 that can be used in a wide variety of situations and keep for life.
If that doesn't point to an SV 8.5x42 I don't know what does? ;)

I will add I gave SERIOUS thought to mentioning a UVHD+ 7X42....Leica has it pretty well sorted out and it is somewhat of a timeless design. It would also be different from what you have. VERY easy on the eyes and user friendly! But certainly not crisp to the edge...it's specs really AREN'T state of the art. But it is small, handy, and easy to get along with! Well I guess now I've mentioned it! :eat:

I guess the question is more - what do you want, the absolutely best view or nearly so with less weight. My HT is clearly better than Conquest HD but I often take the Conquest because it is smaller, lighter and more travel-friendly. That said, I am aware of what I am missing when using it but this rarely detracts from the experience.

Lately I've done a lot of "unplanned" birding so I've gotten to where I use my Conquest HD 8X32(car binocular) all the time! I don't feel like I'm missing TOO much! ;)

I think the choice between the SF and SV comes down to just as Lee said how you use the binocular and personal preference and what is important to you. You can't really say one is better than the other. They are both so good. Try before you buy. I recently tried the Zeiss Victory 8x25 and the Swarovski 8x25 CL-P and the Swarorvski worked out better for me optically and it had better build quality than the Zeiss. Somebody else might like the Zeiss better. I still like to ask the question though because it gives a good insight of why people choose what binocular they use. Especially someone like Chuck or Lee that has had a lot of different binoculars and use them in different ways. It sounds like Chuck likes the Swarovski for warranty/ customer support, build quality and the edges that are sharp right to the edge. Lee likes the SF for the handling, big FOV and lighter feel and balance. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

This is true for me too and I would add the Conquest's speed of focus to this list. FL 8x32 beats it optically but I have had the focus on that set to be a bit more stiff and 'precision-like', a bit more like Meopta B1 MeoStar 8x32. The Conquest's focus turns more freely and so although their focus gearing is similar, the Conquest is 'quicker on the draw' and suits some habitats better than the FL.

All of this just illustrates there is no perfect bino and never could be, different folks have different requirements and even these can change depending on the habitat being visited.

Lee

Last edited:
I do not really understand why binocular manufacturers do not offer customizing options such as different focus speeds, different eye cups or what ever. doesn't seem too difficult to realize... And at current prices of >2,2k not many people would have a problem with investing another couple of bucks, me thinks...

I do not really understand why binocular manufacturers do not offer customizing options such as different focus speeds, different eye cups or what ever. doesn't seem too difficult to realize... And at current prices of >2,2k not many people would have a problem with investing another couple of bucks, me thinks...

Different eyecups would be an excellent option but it wouldn't be cheap. Plastic eyecups have 2 or 3 components so there would be 2 or 3 moulds to pay for just to get one more eyecup size, and then costing of putting a quantity in stock for who knows how long. And if you split your order for eyecups in half to get half in one size and the other half in a different size, well, you know what happens to prices if you reduce the quantity.

Offering different focus components to change the gearing would probably be even more expensive. Why? Because bino makers don't mass produce binos. By comparison with many other products the numbers produced is very small and there are limited machining companies who will even consider quoting to supply the required machined shafts/gears. If the bino brand has to split their usual order into three different focus sets to achieve three different focus speeds, the component cost (which includes programming the CNC lathe) would go through the roof or the machine shop may just not bother quoting because the volumes of each size is too small to bother with.

Lee

Well I am looking at the SF 8X42 out of the box right now and First Impressions, nice box, (visual pic of an owl in flight).. unique, nice finish to the overall packing. The only directions that came with it were a quick guide with specs in different languages. No paper with guarantee info that came with my FL. (Perhaps they are saving paper) Some cleaning paper along with all the lens covers and straps.
Other observations, What do owners of the SF or others who have seen it think of the case?....I am a bit perplexed...I don't know what to think, but it looks like a make up kit for a traveling salon,.. it just does..
The case from the used 8X32 EDG I recently purchased looks like a purse from the 80s in the disco era, I mean it would fit right in ...Totally useless since the bottom has gaps the size of a silver dollar.. Bought a Zeiss case for the Zeiss terra 8X42 from B&H, and it works perfectly.
Enough about the case, out for a view tomorrow....looking forward to it. Its cloudy here tonight, no stargazing.

A.W.

Andy:

Zeiss does not spend much time or effort with the accessories, the objective covers are very
poor in my experience, just a string tethered thing...

But be prepared for the excellent handling and great wide view these offer.

I am interested in hearing your experience.

Jerry

Andy
There was a time not so long ago when the cases for Zeiss binos were all the same design, just different sizes, no matter whether you bought a top-line Victory or Conquest. Zeiss clearly decided that folks spending top dollars on their premium binos should get a case that looked different from cheaper ones and the HT came out with a case that had a 'leather-look' flap, then SF arrived with the semi-hard case. I think SF's case is great. It is semi-hard and feels robust and looks cool. Around the time when this was happening there were complaints that Swaro's case for ELs was big and clumsy so it was no surprise when SF's case turned out to be more compact and some folks have grumbled that its too small. I have had absolutely no problems putting my SFs back in their cases and posted pics at the time to show it. So, in short, I like the case.

I think you should tell us more about your experiences of travelling make-up salons and include an assessment of their sweet-spots and aberrations. :eek!:

Lee

Andy:

Zeiss does not spend much time or effort with the accessories, the objective covers are very
poor in my experience, just a string tethered thing...

But be prepared for the excellent handling and great wide view these offer.

I am interested in hearing your experience.

Jerry

Agree with the objective covers. My first Terra 8x42 were terrible as they were too loose and any knocks would release them from the objective lens... However, the second batch of Terra had a tighter fit and that worked better. I still prefer the Swarovski fieldpro objective lens covers as you can replace the objective covers without looking, Plus, they have no edges that can catch and make them come off. I do like the older Zeiss bino bags as they are tight, and one buckle is all that is required to remove a bino. The Swarovskis are a pain as it is a double zip and they are HUGEEEEEE. Like i Mean how hard it is to measure the size of a fully opened bino and make a case for it..... Well I mentioned it to Swarovski last year, this was their reply:
------------------------
On 4 Oct 2017, at 21:13, Customer-Service <[email protected]> wrote:
Thanks for your input, Mr. Chin, it´s always difficult to satisfy our customers with the right size of bags.
For these it´s too big, for those it´s too tight.
To find the golden middle is not easy.
BR Sabine
-----------------------
unquote.

sbb, post 38,
The customers indeed always complain, a very useful and in my opinion the best bag Swarovski ever made, the envelope type, had to be discontinued because the customers complained that it was too plain and other complaints which I will not repeat.
It seems impossible to satisfy everybody....
Gijs van Ginkel

Wow

Andy
There was a time not so long ago when the cases for Zeiss binos were all the same design, just different sizes, no matter whether you bought a top-line Victory or Conquest. Zeiss clearly decided that folks spending top dollars on their premium binos should get a case that looked different from cheaper ones and the HT came out with a case that had a 'leather-look' flap, then SF arrived with the semi-hard case. I think SF's case is great. It is semi-hard and feels robust and looks cool. Around the time when this was happening there were complaints that Swaro's case for ELs was big and clumsy so it was no surprise when SF's case turned out to be more compact and some folks have grumbled that its too small. I have had absolutely no problems putting my SFs back in their cases and posted pics at the time to show it. So, in short, I like the case.

I think you should tell us more about your experiences of travelling make-up salons and include an assessment of their sweet-spots and aberrations. :eek!:

Lee

I am not going to apologize, it is my opinion. The glass and strap do not fit into the case together without jamming it in. I actually like the cordura case that my FL 8X32 came in, and I bought another Zeiss cordura/canvas case (for the zeiss 8X42 terra) and put my ALPHA NIKON 8X32 EDG in it and it feels great. IF I choose to keep the SF, I will definitively get another case.

I have traveled the world over as a geologist, and have learned quite a bit about people, the ones who can laugh at themselves will live the longest, the passive aggressive ones do not.

By the way, do you work for Zeiss?

A.W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back