• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss SFL 8x40 versus Victory SF 8x42? (2 Viewers)

mgp13

Australia
Hi all, I recently bought Zeiss SFL 8x40s and I love them. However, there are now some ridiculous specials on the Victory SF range (US$1500 equivalent) here in Australia and I'm extremely tempted to get them in 8x42 guise.

I'm looking for straight up optical comparisons between the SFL x40 and Victory SF x42. Optics only. I'm aware I'll have to take a weight handicap if I switch to Vic SF 8x42s. Can anyone comment? I don't mind if you've seen through them only briefly or quite a lot, I just want to know how the optics compare. If your experience comes from x32 models I'm happy to hear that too.

I'd incur a financial hit of around USD$500 to make the switch and I don't want to do it if the optical difference doesn't justify it.

Thanks a lot.

mgp13, post 1,
On the WEB-site of House of Outdoor under the chapter "Verrekijkers testen en vergelijken"I have published tests of both binoculars, so you can compare them (two different papers).
Gijs van Ginkel

I've had the 8xSFL and 10xSF, the SFL is a damn fine binocular while the SF for me was nearing optical perfection, she's longer but the weight was very well balanced and I preferred holding the SF to an NL. The focus on the SF is dreamy, it's so good. Yes she is a big binocular but very nice to handle.
Personally id take an 8x42 SF and wouldn't look back, you'll be assured you have the absolute best. When I first picked up an 8x42 SF I knew this was the real deal, my eyes were perfectly relaxed, SFL while excellent wasn't on the same level.
The SF apart from its length will be better in almost every way, by how much depends on yourself, ideally go and test one side by side if possible or buy and return if possible.

Now I'm unsure if I should get the 8x or 10x.
I've had the 8xSFL and 10xSF, the SFL is a damn fine binocular while the SF for me was nearing optical perfection, she's longer but the weight was very well balanced and I preferred holding the SF to an NL. The focus on the SF is dreamy, it's so good. Yes she is a big binocular but very nice to handle.
Personally id take an 8x42 SF and wouldn't look back, you'll be assured you have the absolute best. When I first picked up an 8x42 SF I knew this was the real deal, my eyes were perfectly relaxed, SFL while excellent wasn't on the same level.
The SF apart from its length will be better in almost every way, by how much depends on yourself, ideally go and test one side by side if possible or buy and return if possible.

Is the green really that bad? I don't understand how a binocular like this can have so many glowing reviews of the image it produces if it's so terribly flawed. Is glare an issue with the SF too?
Love the FOV and ergos of the SF, but the green colorcast ruined the bin for me. Also I've found the 8x42 SFL to be relatively glare free.

Is the green really that bad? I don't understand how a binocular like this can have so many glowing reviews of the image it produces if it's so terribly flawed. Is glare an issue with the SF too?

I would disregard any green cast that has been mentioned about the SF. It is from a very small audience, and so it is
a nothing burger. The Victory SF is Zeiss's best binocular.
Jerry

Personal opinion of course, but the green cast isn’t something you can’t get used to. It is less pronounced than what I believe to be a blue or “cool” cast to Swaro EL SV’s and NL’s, or the more red cast of Leica’s.

After years of trying many including all of the top tier optics, I have not gotten rid of my 10x42 SF’s. They just function perfectly as they are designed to do. Perfect balance, as in I can hold them one handed with my non-dominant hand and maintain focus on something. This is huge to me (though I know you want a purely optical comparison). To be perfectly blunt, I prefer the Noctivids color cast the most, but the SF’s handling can’t be beat. But yeah, the optics are worth it too 😅.

I never saw any green cast or blue ring of death,
glare control was exceptional. Colours beautiful and natural.
If I was doing it again I'd buy the 8x and wouldn't look back, like so many others for me these days anything above 8x I will go stabilized with an exception towards the 12x NL and astronomy bins.

I have had the SF 8x42 for about 4-5 years. I have recently been using a borrowed 10x40SFL so not an exact comparison but almost what you're asking.

The 42mm SF is the best birding bin out there, in my opinion. Optically it's basically on par with the NL (preference will be personal) but the ergonomics, stray light suppression, balance when holding, focuser speed, strap + covers + external bits are all superior, in my of course subjective opinion.

The SFL is very good for its weight. It's got basically alpha quality view in a smaller package but it has a smaller FOV, smaller sweet spot, and is a bit behind, quality wise, in tactile feel, ergonomics, focuser, etc.

For me if the prices are similar or if you can afford the SF, just get the SF, it's better in every way other than size/weight. That said, for the size, the SFL is very good, though size-wise it competes with the x32 SF and NL more than with the x42s.

I have both. I love both. And I use both often. For me the Colours in the SFL is unbeatable in most light Situations. The SF is better on rainy days with grey clouds. The SFL is unbeatable on sunny days. The greenish Tint on the SF is there. Years ago I had the gray version. Now I have the black. On the black the green Colour is a bit better correct then on the grey. But is there.
For me personally it is a thing wich light is out today. I also love my NL pure. The best Bino is not one. Every Bino has his preference. The SF and SFL are one of the best Binos on the market.

Initial impressions after an hour of use in daylight on a sunny day:

SFL 8x40:
  • More neutral colour rendition
  • Marginally higher contrast
  • Equivalent resolution
  • Less rolling ball effect
  • Better eye cups
  • Better finish to the focus wheel

SF 8x42:
  • More relaxed view
  • Easier on the eyes
  • Wider, flatter field
  • More pronounced 3D effect
  • Better ergonomics and handling
  • Better stray light control
  • Sharper at the edges
  • Even more precise focus
  • More durable armouring
  • Fewer blackouts

I would disregard any green cast that has been mentioned about the SF. It is from a very small audience, and so it is
a nothing burger. The Victory SF is Zeiss's best binocular.
Jerry
It may be their best by optical standards. But if weight is an issue, priorities may shift, as happened in our case. As for green casts, I can't speak about SFs, but there was a noticeable one on my 8x32 FL if directly compared with the SFL.

Initial impressions after an hour of use in daylight on a sunny day:

SFL 8x40:
  • More neutral colour rendition
  • Marginally higher contrast
  • Equivalent resolution
  • Less rolling ball effect
  • Better eye cups
  • Better finish to the focus wheel

SF 8x42:
  • More relaxed view
  • Easier on the eyes
  • Wider, flatter field
  • More pronounced 3D effect
  • Better ergonomics and handling
  • Better stray light control
  • Sharper at the edges
  • Even more precise focus
  • More durable armouring
  • Fewer blackouts
The SF has a more 3D effect? It’s the one using field flatteners.

As for green casts, I can't speak about SFs, but there was a noticeable one on my 8x32 FL if directly compared with the SFL.
That would be the one with red lens coatings? Our 10x32 FL with purple ones has very natural color. I wonder what the intention of those red coatings might have been. They're unusual on higher-end bins.

As I've said before, I prefer the SFLs to the SFs, disregarding cost. No brainer for me actually. You can search for prior threads. I personally think the 8x40SFLs are the best all round birding bin bar none.

I think the red Zeiss coating is a bit of a spoof - it gives a dash of faerie sharpness/view, but at the cost of color neutrality. I suspect individuals vary in terms of perception of color accuracy. I find it unacceptable in Seattle light, esp winter. I also dislike the SF diopter detents, which preclude microadjustment. The SFL lightweight and form is icing on the cake.

I suspect individuals vary in terms of perception of color accuracy. I find it unacceptable in Seattle light, esp winter. I also dislike the SF diopter detents, which preclude microadjustment. The SFL lightweight and form is icing on the cake.
I think it's more the brain that varies more than the eyes. I can see the slight color-cast differences in dark light when I use my EDG 7x42 next to my 8x42 SF. The Zeiss has a cooler tone, the EDG warmer. The EDG accentuates the red colors a little more, green in the Zeiss. Neither one matches my naked-eye view exactly.

I can see it, but my brain likes it. It likes both binos equally. It doesn't see anything wrong with the Zeiss, it loves the contrast and sharpness and bird colors look wonderful. :):) But I could see how other people might choose one or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back