• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold 8x32 HD GR or Pentax 8x32 ED ? (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
Would anyone lilke to give their thoughts based on their use of these, which one gives the better view. I have the non & HD Leupold on order to compare, but have not looked thru the pentax yet. Iam going to keep one & re-sell the others, thanks ....gwen

I don't know if the FOV in the Pentax ED version compares to the non-ED but if it's the same I really liked the Leupold.

I don't know if the FOV in the Pentax ED version compares to the non-ED but if it's the same I really liked the Leupold.

I own the 8 x 42 Leupold HD and am truly amazed at the clarity and vibrancy of the images in all lighting conditions. If the Leupold 8 x 32 sibling offers similar performance, the Pentax ED will have a high hurdle to clear.

I have owned the non HD Leupold GR 8x32 and the Pentax SP 8x32. Both offer stunning views although the Leupold had a little better eye relief. The Pentax had much better fit and finish. I suspect the Pentax HD has the same advantage.

Would anyone lilke to give their thoughts based on their use of these, which one gives the better view. I have the non & HD Leupold on order to compare, but have not looked thru the pentax yet. Iam going to keep one & re-sell the others, thanks ....gwen

Hi .... Thanks everyone , I received both of them a few days ago & after opening the 8x32 HD model first, I did not even bother opening the other . Of all the 8x32 I have owned over the years, the most exspensive being the 8x32 Leica BA these are in my veiw the best overall 8x32 binocular you can purchase no matter what these cost($499.95). When I first took the binoculars out of the sealed Leupold box , what I saw was a binocular case that looked like a piece of lugage. The case is the most durable & attractive I have ever seen being a very thick cordura, the binocular strap has to be the thickest & most wide on the market. The optics are stuning. If you are a eyeglass wearer , the eyerelief is the best I have ever experience. The eye lens are huge, as large as my 7x36 Ed2. With a FOV of 420ft, it was like looking thru a full size pair of binoculars. I did not even mind the 27oz weight because it made these very steady to hold. The HD glass leupold uses truly sets these apart puting these in Alpha class for a 1/4 of the cost. These are built like a Tank ,with a first class rubber armor finish, giving these a very exspensive look & feel. I can only say if you are about to lay out big bucks for a Zeiss, Leica, Nikon or other Alpha brand you will be sorry if you dont look thru a pair of these first... gwen

Now I know why. I still cant believe the Leupold GR HD's are being sold at this price & why they dont get much attention. I would have paid twice the amount. The quality to dollar value, along with the outstanding reputation of Leupold makes one wonder why they are being marked down so much. The only other binocular to give me the same reaction was the ED2 line of Zen Ray. This makes me wonder even more about the insane prices of the top Alpha brands & how they get people to pay those high prices when there are other binoculars out there just as good. What a HUGE markup they must have .....gwen.

I couldn't agree more gwen. I've used lots of the so called alpha stuff, and I was so impressed with the GR's (and Zen Ray Ed2) that I bought my nephew a pair for birthday/Christmas. An absolute steal at those prices.

Hi ... I could not tell you. I never looked thru the non-HD's , After seeing the stuning view the HD's gave I did not even bother to open the other box up, the non- HD's (still sealed)were sold as new 2 days later for what I paid for them. Since I picked up both pairs at a reasonable price, I did not mind spending the xtra $166 for Leupolds higher grade glass. At least with my eyes I dont think they could be made any better. I have found by experience if you purchase the best & take care of them , you never have a problem with re-sale down the road. .... gwen

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back